Snowpiercer

→ in
Tools    

Tonight’s film was Snowpiercer and what a strange film it was. A mostly Korean production, but with a lot of Czech participation, based on a French book, the might be the most fun you’ve had at the movies since The Road. Set in a post-apocalyptic world, frozen over after an attempt at stopping global warming went wrong in 2014, the little that’s left of humanity is circling around the icy world on a perpetual motion train, designed by a wealthy industrialist.

As you might guess, social segregation has set in, with the wealthy living a life of decadent ease in the front of the train and the dirty, miserable underclass being in the back. Bloody rebellion seems certain. When a leader emerges, things get real bad. What will happen? Will the rebellion succeed? Are things really as they seem? You have to see it to find out. I found myself thinking about movies like not only The Road, but The Hunger Games, Soylent Green (a synthetic food plays and important role), Elysium, On the Beach and elements of lot of other stories of a dismal future.

This movie is intense, brutal, savage, and often really ugly and sometimes suffers from dialog that doesn’t seem to render as well in English as it might in Korean, including one serious verbal blooper that brought out a lot of laughs on the subject of baby-eating. I was somewhat surprised to see a full theater, even if it was small one, and an action and FX heavy sci-fi movie at the usually artsy Charles. It’s probably NOT like anything else you will see this summer and, if you can take it, it’s well worth updating your picture of the human-engineered end of the world. The effects are quite good and, but the time the movie is under way, you forget that the basic premise of the whole world remnant riding around on a train doesn’t really make much sense, because the train just seems like a metaphor for the worst in human stupidity. The movie really drags you in, quite amazing.

cool review, awesome movie.

This movie drove me absolutely insane near the end where they stop using the translator.
Suddenly for no reason the american and korean guy can understand each other. It doesn't get much stupider than this.

Master of My Domain
A lot of people don't seem to get the allegory in this film- which is why its often viewed poorly.

Yeh, this was a film i am still undecided about, I think I need to re-watch. I kinda liked it but the premise was a bit too insane for me and the allegory was almost a little 'crude' (not sure if that is the right word) for my tastes. I had a good think about it though, which says something

I was quite annoyed by their disgust at realising they had been eating insects though, seemed a little out of place given their situation.. after all if they are lopping of peoples limbs for food then eating insects isn't going to be a problem.

I would eat insect protein bars now, and I (mostly) gave up my cannibalism years ago

Agreed about the insects.. there is nothing wrong with that at all. Only a problem for 1st world countries that don't understand poverty. Hungry people eat trash to avoid starvation. Processed insects is nothing.

A lot of people don't seem to get the allegory in this film- which is why its often viewed poorly.
Can't see why they wouldn't get it. It wasn't very far beneath the surface, they even went directly on the nose with the whole 'be a shoe' speech

Master of My Domain
Have you guys seen the original Korean version? The version that is being reviewed is the International version, which is slightly dumbed down so people could understand more easily- the problem is that it in the process of 'dumbing' it a lot of the important reveals of the plot and explanations for certain things were left out.

Have you guys seen the original Korean version? The version that is being reviewed is the International version, which is slightly dumbed down so people could understand more easily- the problem is that it in the process of 'dumbing' it a lot of the important reveals of the plot and explanations for certain things were left out.
I've only seen the original version. It was still dumb. And I love the director, I just don't know why he thought the script was done. At best it's a first draft.

yes I saw the original version, and I still don't like it when I thought I'd love the premise and I love Bong Jun-ho's other films. It's very messy, and I hated Tilda Swinton's character, she grated on my nerves really badly

yes I saw the original version, and I still don't like it when I thought I'd love the premise and I love Bong Jun-ho's other films. It's very messy, and I hated Tilda Swinton's character, she grated on my nerves really badly
She was SUPPOSED to.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The classroom and the new years sequences were great. Really dug the film, except the part where they shoot at each other through the glass at opposite ends of the train. That took it one step too far in my books.

Suspect's Reviews

so, on a second viewing I noticed an interesting tidbit about the main henchman

WARNING: "" spoilers below
It's implied that two muscle henchmen are gay lovers (body language during the arm freeze scene. The daughter is the one who kills off his partner. After that he is hellbent on killing her, ignoring protocol and orders. The irony is both Evans and Henchmen are driven towards front of the train; they both are focused on killing someone, but are both victims of the system.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I havent seen this yet, but I was talking to a friend today who has seen it and he highly recommends it, cool review cheers.