Punk's Not Dead...

Tools    

"...it just deserves to die when it becomes another stale cartoon."

If you know where that quote comes from, come on in! And if not, don't worry. You just need to listen to some Dead Kennedys.

So, punk rock fans, let's talk punk rock--the thread is officially WFO.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Yeah, I remember the first time I heard Donna Summer. Things were never the same again after that...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

She's one whore of a sellout. Though I hear she does work hard for the money, so we better treat her right.

I really like Misfits. Anyone else? In the 90's when I listened a lot to new punk rock my favourite album was (it is still great) Don't Turn Away by Face To Face.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I really like Misfits. Anyone else? In the 90's when I listened a lot to new punk rock my favourite album was (it is still great) Don't Turn Away by Face To Face.
Face to Face -- God, they're great. Before I'd even listened to them, they were playing on the Warped Tour about seven years ago, and I missed their set because I was watching the skateboarding. Then I heard their self-titled (still my favorite, although I dig Don't Turn Away hard), and I wanted to kick myself.

And I never got another chance to see them live. I'm a dumbass. Damn skateboarding, anyway.

Misfits -- Great big Danzig horror-movie fun. I've been listening to some of their older stuff lately ("I Turned Into a Martian," etc.), but my favorite song by them has to be "Hybrid Moments." Can't remember what album it's on.

Some of my favorite bands:

Bad Religion - I got into punk because of these guys, even though I heard what had to be their least-great album before Mr. Brett left: Generator. But even saying that, I still love that album.

NOFX
Dead Kennedys
Screeching Weasel
The afore-mentioned Propagandhi
Likewise afore-mentioned Face to Face
Social Distortion
The Vandals

Yeah, I'm more in the mid-section. I like the Ramones and I can tolerate the Sex Pistols, but it's the early '80s to late '90s stuff that gets me.

Some newer bands I listen to:

88 Fingers Louie
Guttermouth
Dropkick Murphys
The Weakerthans

There're more, but it's late.

Yeah, what are you doing up at this hour??

Bad Religion was a trend-setter for me too. But they did two more albums after Generator with Mr Brett on them: Recipe For Hate and Stranger Than Fiction. I don't listen to them anymore but I've heard that Mr Brett is back in the band. To me Recipe For Hate is their best album. It's their Pet Sounds or Revolver, a 90's classic. Everything they did before it was great, but they peaked with this one. It's very melodious but still raw and dirty. Then they did "Stranger.." which is okay. I saw them in 1994 here in Sweden and they were not so great live. But that impression might have something to do with this new band that opened up for them and kind of stole the show. Green Day, I think they were called... Dookie still frequents our parties. Burnout - man, what an opening track!

Misfits. I only have a best of, but almost every track on it rocks. A few favourites though: We Are 138, Attitude and, of course, Last Caress. I also like Ramones a lot and I think Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols is one of the most important albums ever made. The punk icons The Clash is one band I never really liked that much though even if they have some moments of course.

Mary, you should check out another 90's band which I mentioned on the cool names-thread: Gun's'Wankers. They were on Fat Wreck Chords and they only did one mini-cd called For Dancing and Listening before they changed name, I think. But that one is awesome.

Bad Religion was a trend-setter for me too. But they did two more albums after Generator with Mr Brett on them: Recipe For Hate and Stranger Than Fiction.
I know--I should have said in the Mr. Brett era.

I don't listen to them anymore but I've heard that Mr Brett is back in the band. To me Recipe For Hate is their best album. It's their Pet Sounds or Revolver, a 90's classic. Everything they did before it was great, but they peaked with this one. It's very melodious but still raw and dirty. Then they did "Stranger.." which is okay.
My favorite two albums are Suffer and Against the Grain. I liked Recipe but it didn't really "get" me as much as their other stuff. Although the title track--"Humanity as it's portrayed is just a recipe for hate..."--and "American Jesus" were both great.

I saw them in 1994 here in Sweden and they were not so great live.
I've seen a video of them live in Germany; I think it was called Along the Way. It seems like they did an awful lot of touring in Europe. My husband's seen them twice here in the states, but none for me. And seeing the now would be of little to no use--Stranger than Fiction was definitely their swan song.

But that impression might have something to do with this new band that opened up for them and kind of stole the show. Green Day, I think they were called... Dookie still frequents our parties. Burnout - man, what an opening track!
Dookie's classic. Have you heard Kerplunk!? I had many a good chess game listening to that CD, back in the day.

Misfits. I only have a best of, but almost every track on it rocks. A few favourites though: We Are 138, Attitude and, of course, Last Caress.
We've got that one, too. Troy had more, but he lost them somewhere along the way. We ended up downloading a bunch, so they're all jumbled up on our 'puter. Have you heard the NOFX version of "Last Caress"? It's badass--and for the finale, Fat Mike almost perfectly imitates Danzig:

"Hwone hlast ca-areyess..."

I also like Ramones a lot and I think Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols is one of the most important albums ever made. The punk icons The Clash is one band I never really liked that much though even if they have some moments of course.
This will be an interesting discussion... Remind me to remind you of it when I get back in a couple of days.

Mary, you should check out another 90's band which I mentioned on the cool names-thread: Gun's'Wankers. They were on Fat Wreck Chords and they only did one mini-cd called For Dancing and Listening before they changed name, I think. But that one is awesome.
That name sounds damn familiar--I'll check out the Fat compilations and see if I've heard them there. What do they go by now?

Speaking of Fat, have you heard Lagwagon?

Put me in your pocket...
Yeah, I remember the first time I heard Donna Summer. Things were never the same again after that...
I'll bet if your woman sang "Hot Stuff" to you...you might not mind to much.

Now this punk music...is it anything like New Wave?

*runs*

Originally Posted by Aniko
I'll bet if your woman sang "Hot Stuff" to you...you might not mind to much.

Now this punk music...is it anything like New Wave?

*runs*

RED ALERT! RED ALERT! RED ALERT! RED ALERT!

WATCH OUT! A GROWN UP!

Originally Posted by Mary Loquacious
ISpeaking of Fat, have you heard Lagwagon?
Yeah, and they're actually playing here in a couple of weeks! I was never a huge fan but some of my friends were/still are. I actually didn't know they still existed. Mr Coffee was a funny song.

I have heard the NOFX version of Last Caress, I think. I remember that amazing imitation quite well. That has always been the case with me and NOFX. I think they are funny, but I don't really dig their music that much. I have a live album, I think it's called I've Heard They Suck Live ( ) and I always end up skipping the songs and only listening to the bull****ting in between. Funny guys... El Hefe is quite an amazing musician though. I listened to their new album a little in the store and I was surprised they had turned so political!

There was another real cool Fat band called Strung Out. We listened to them a lot actually.

Have you ever heard the swedish band Satanic Surfers? They are from my hometown.

Now when I come to think of it I have to say that No Control is probably my favourite Bad Religion CD even if I like Recipe For Hate and Against the Grain a lot too. I think No Control was the first album I heard and it was the first 90's punk cd I listened too in that case. I remember I was so amazed you could actually fit 54 songs onto a cd in just 7 minutes. Or something like that.... It was fast, short, aggressive, melodious, political and Greg Graffin sang his shorts off! I Want To Conquer the World is still one of my all time favourite songs.

What kind of discussion are we going to have when you come back? Have I been a naughty boy? Guilty of blasphemy when saying that Clash wasn't all that good?

By the way, I think I heard Kerplunk one time at a party but I wasn't that impressed, I'm sorry to say. But that was probably 9 years ago and I must have been drunk since it was a party. Is that the one with the My Generation cover on?

There was a band a couple of years ago that made a cd - At the Drive In, I think they were called, and they made me believe in hard punky music again, but then they split up almost instantly. Have you heard them?

Eh, I like Exploited, GBH, Dead Kennedys, Ramones, Sex Pistols, MDC, Agnostic Front...OK, descending into hardcore.

I saw GBH live even, yay.

By the way, I think I heard Kerplunk one time at a party but I wasn't that impressed, I'm sorry to say. But that was probably 9 years ago and I must have been drunk since it was a party. Is that the one with the My Generation cover on?
Ashamed to admit, but I liked that album. Yes, it has My Generation cover on it.

RED ALERT! RED ALERT! RED ALERT! RED ALERT!

WATCH OUT! A GROWN UP!
OH NO! I'm dead!

Originally Posted by Mairosu
Ashamed to admit, but I liked that album. Yes, it has My Generation cover on it.
Hey, why are you ashamed?? I was probably disapointed because Dookie was the one I heard first and that one totally blew me away, so I guess I expected more.

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
OH NO! I'm dead!
Hey, I like your new avatar! Not that it matters now that you're dead... DAMN YOU, ALL FM ROCK ADULTS!!!! DAAAAAAMN YOU, I SAY!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, why are you ashamed?? I was probably disapointed because Dookie was the one I heard first and that one totally blew me away, so I guess I expected more.
It's Green Day, that won't sit pretty on my punk rock resume I was 14 at the time Dookie was all the rage though, so I can be forgiven.

All serious now, I liked Dookie and Kerplunk genuinely, but Kerplunk edges Dookie for me a bit...if nothing, then only for the sheer presence of Dominated Love Slave.

Originally Posted by MinionTV
Joy Division anyone?

That's SO post-punk, man.

I must become Caligari..!
Good Punk

The Pixies

The Sex Pistols
The Clash
The Ramones
Iggy And The Stooges
Frank Black And The Catholics
Frank Black
The Living End
The Dead Kennedys
Green Day
TISM

Bad Punk

NOFX
Good Charlote
Sum41
Mellincollin

With the exeption of Green Day i pretty much hate all new "Pop Punk" stuff. I didnt put Avril Lavigne in "Bad Punk" because i dont see any resemblince in her music to punk, she is just a toy the record labes are use make money, i read an interview with her once that went "A 'Lil Sumin Like This"

Q: and what do you think of eraly punk, Like the Sex Pistols
A: Who are they, Are they some old band, "coz i dont listen to old music, how am i supposed to know them, i am young

It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Originally Posted by Mary Loquacious

Have you heard Kerplunk!? I had many a good chess game listening to that CD, back in the day.
Kerplunk is one of my top ten punk CD's! Still my favorite Green Day cd, too. "Dominated Love Slave" still makes me crack up to this day.

Not really listening to a lot of current punk, very bad for you, it is. Too "Warped Tour" for my tastes. Nothing worse than corporate "punk." But I do love Dropkick Murphy's.

Great stuff: (possibly repeating other people, but oh well.)

The Ramones
X
The Clash
Dead Boys
Dropkick Murphys
Minor Threat
Bad Brains
Rancid
old Bad Religion
The Decendents
The Germs
Black Flag
Green Day
Mudhoney (I totally consider them punk, so there.)
Nirvana
The Pixies

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

A novel adaptation.
I stopped listening to punk when G. G. Allin stopped sucking. That is to say, when I began to enjoy him.

The whole culture is a bit skewed anyways. People that label themselves as "..." are too in character for me.