Most Overrated Movies

Tools    

"Batman Begins" has lots of problems. Actually, I consider it to be the weakest of the trilogy. "The Dark Knight" is full of mind blowing shockers or nice subtle touches and is "movie magic". "The Dark Knight Rises" is grandiose in scope so it at least has that. By comparison "Batman Begins" is run off the mill superhero flick.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
"Batman Begins" has lots of problems. Actually, I consider it to be the weakest of the trilogy. "The Dark Knight" is full of mind blowing shockers or nice subtle touches and is "movie magic". "The Dark Knight Rises" is grandiose in scope so it at least has that. By comparison "Batman Begins" is run off the mill superhero flick.
that's why I prefer it. It's a superhero flick, not a showcase for artistry connoisseurs [it's a freekin' Batman movie ffs]

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Definitely John Wick Chapter 2

It's one of the few franchises left that actually puts in effort with their beautifully choreographed stunt work. They pay attention to detail with the action sequences. John Wick is a fairly complex character, they also have a morally grey storyline as to whether he's doing the right thing. They also make John Wick vulnerable, you always feel like he's in danger. Oh yeah, and a fight sequence in a maze of mirrors, that's practically suicide for an action movie, but they still pull it off.

How is it overrated?

It's one of the few franchises left that actually puts in effort with their beautifully choreographed stunt work. They pay attention to detail with the action sequences. John Wick is a fairly complex character, they also have a morally grey storyline as to whether he's doing the right thing. They also make John Wick vulnerable, you always feel like he's in danger. Oh yeah, and a fight sequence in a maze of mirrors, that's practically suicide for an action movie, but they still pull it off.

How is it overrated?
He got hit by a car for at least two times, he got up and moved on.
The part he got shot on his rib section, you can see he was bleeding from inside, but he was totally ok and moved on. Yeah he was wearing some kind of a bullet proof vest, but come on!
Then he sent call of duty easiest difficulty mode to kill 9,329 bad guys.

Now you are telling me "they always make John Wick vulnerable, you always feel like he's in danger." I am sorry, I don't feel it that way. lol

I am not a John Wick movie hater, in fact the first John Wick was decent, I gave it a 7/10 and you don't see over the top actions mentioned above in the 1st one.

John Wick Chapter Two got a 4/10 from me.

I truly believe the rating will eventually drop on any rating site. Let's wait and see.

He got hit by a car for at least two times, he got up and moved on.
The part he got shot on his rib section, you can see he was bleeding from inside, but he was totally ok and moved on. Yeah he was wearing some kind of a bullet proof vest, but come on!
Then he sent call of duty easiest difficulty mode to kill 9,329 bad guys.

Now you are telling me "they always make John Wick vulnerable, you always feel like he's in danger." I am sorry, I don't feel it that way. lol

I am not a John Wick movie hater, in fact the first John Wick was decent, I gave it a 7/10 and you don't see over the top actions mentioned above in the 1st one.

John Wick Chapter Two got a 4/10 from me.

I truly believe the rating will eventually drop on any rating site. Let's wait and see.
What do you mean he's fine, when he gets hit by the car, he has a limp, when he got shot, he's constantly holding the wound. I'm not saying that he's John Mclain levels of the vulnerable action hero, but compared to what we usually get, John Wick is pretty vulnerable.

The Godfather, The Godfather II, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Whiplash,

I do like those movies but they are simply overrated.

What do you mean he's fine, when he gets hit by the car, he has a limp, when he got shot, he's constantly holding the wound. I'm not saying that he's John Mclain levels of the vulnerable action hero, but compared to what we usually get, John Wick is pretty vulnerable.

In the 1st John Wick, there was a part he actually needed help from a doctor.

I like that.

In John Wick 2, yes he had a limp and then just moved on and went rock and roll mode.

I don't like that.

Technical realism or complex choreography with excellent & smooth editing can not overcome incredulity of obviously miss matched odds. One guy shooting up 20 goons like they were fish in a barrel or slaying a hoard of ninja warriors like chef on a busy restaurant shift is not my idea of exciting action.

Technical realism or complex choreography with excellent & smooth editing can not overcome incredulity of obviously miss matched odds. One guy shooting up 20 goons like they were fish in a barrel or slaying a hoard of ninja warriors like chef on a busy restaurant shift is not my idea of exciting action.

Agreed, it might look cool in the first 5 mins, but if it is going on like that in the entire movie, things will got boring pretty quickly.

But there is a difference though, when Arnold went into invincible mode in his movies, it is actually very believable.

How is it overrated?
Found a review that speaks of my mind:

Sin 1: Tossing out established canon.

The coolest bit of lore about the first movie is completely lost in the sequel. That alone is a sin you cannot redeem yourself for. In the original, it was established canon that John Wick was not a man to mess with. Even the main villain, respected and feared his abilities.

In John Wick 2, however, all of that is gone. Nobody fears John Wick. Nobody is afraid to take him on. His past deeds and reputation mean absolutely squat.

The new villain, never thinks twice about double crossing Wick. Every hit-man on the planet, and according to this movie they are every where, has no qualms about trying to take Wick out.

Sin 2: No main character growth In the first movie, we travel along with Wick as he avenges his dog and in the end moves forward with his grief. The video of his wife tells him to get up and move on. In John Wick 2, there is zero character growth. He is no different at the end of the movie as he is when it starts. Sure his circumstances have been altered, but as a character he has overcome nothing. That makes for a boring story.

Sin 3: Weak plot The original movie had a simple, but strong plot. Revenge. The plot of the sequel is weak, even by action movie standards. Wick has been called into service to kill a criminal, if he refuses he dies... but wait if he accepts, he also dies. The whole movie could have started and ended with the original premise of refusing the contract. It would have made more sense to refuse the contract and fight off the baddies coming to enforce the blood oath.

Sin 4: Video Game Bad Guys Wow. There is evidently a plethora of John Wick cannon fodder. They just keep coming, and there really is no logical reason why they do. The body count is so high that it becomes comical. The original had a big body count, but it was divided among 5 big action scenes and, for an action movie, seemed plausible. This one doubles the body count but there are so many, the coolness of each kill is lost in an over abundance of victims.

Sin 5: Invincible Superhero Hit by two cars, stabbed and shot numerous times and he just keeps on going. Must be seeing the doctor and getting pain pills, right? Nope no doctors in this one. That kind of logical realism may interfere with the killing of cardboard bad guys. At one point a fellow assassin, holds a pistol point blank in Wick's abdomen and fires a couple shots through him. No biggie Wick has another 42 bad guys to kill.

Sin 6: James Bond Gadgets I love the Continental, don't get me wrong, but the secret underground hit-man hosting hotel just goes too far in this one. Bulletproof suit coats that can be held up like Batman's cape to shield yourself from bullets? Silencers so quiet that two adversaries can have a shootout in a subway between bystanders and nobody knows even though bullet holes are being blasted into the walls around them?

Sin 7: Shallow Villains Yes there are the 140 plus cardboard video game baddies, but in the first John Wick, the main villain had a moral dilemma: turn over his son to save his own butt. The bad guys in Wick 2 have no interesting character motivation or dilemmas. The closest you get is Common's desire for revenge after Wick kills his client. And that was the most interesting bad guy on the screen. It is hard to believe the two movies were written by the same folks.

Sin 8: Soundtrack John Wick 1 had an unbelievable soundtrack that actually set the mood as he moved through the action scenes and the emotional scenes. This soundtrack just plain sucks. There is nothing memorable in it, and it does little to impart any emotion on a given scene.

Sin 9: Pacing Even the big action scenes in this movie are too long. In their desire to up the body count they went with longer action sequences. It really messes with the pace of the film. The first movie did a great job of dividing the action and keeping the viewer engaged. The longer these scenes go, the less believable they became which pulls the audience out of the moment.

Sin 10: Rehashing things that worked in the first movie There are some great scenes in the first Wick, and the director knew that so they tried to repeat them. This is a classic sequel mistake and unfortunately Wick 2 falls victim to this trope. You liked the interaction with Jimmy? We will get another one in there. Like the reload and kill? We will put a twist on that one also. It was great to see the pencil kills, that is how it should be done. Don't show us the same thing but different. Show us new, that may have been mentioned previously.

Making the next sequel look better then this one. The end of this movie sets up a very interesting plot for a third movie and almost everyone that walked out was excited to see it. That is wonderful, except when that movie actually sounds more interesting then the one you just watched. You should have just made that movie instead.

All in all Wick 2 falls short of the first one. Once again we are treated to an amazing movie whose sequel just doesn't capture the magic of the first one. I'm looking at you Red 2, Donnie Darko 2, Matrix 2, etc...

Found a review that speaks of my mind:

Sin 1: Tossing out established canon.

The coolest bit of lore about the first movie is completely lost in the sequel. That alone is a sin you cannot redeem yourself for. In the original, it was established canon that John Wick was not a man to mess with. Even the main villain, respected and feared his abilities.

In John Wick 2, however, all of that is gone. Nobody fears John Wick. Nobody is afraid to take him on. His past deeds and reputation mean absolutely squat.

The new villain, never thinks twice about double crossing Wick. Every hit-man on the planet, and according to this movie they are every where, has no qualms about trying to take Wick out.

Sin 2: No main character growth In the first movie, we travel along with Wick as he avenges his dog and in the end moves forward with his grief. The video of his wife tells him to get up and move on. In John Wick 2, there is zero character growth. He is no different at the end of the movie as he is when it starts. Sure his circumstances have been altered, but as a character he has overcome nothing. That makes for a boring story.

Sin 3: Weak plot The original movie had a simple, but strong plot. Revenge. The plot of the sequel is weak, even by action movie standards. Wick has been called into service to kill a criminal, if he refuses he dies... but wait if he accepts, he also dies. The whole movie could have started and ended with the original premise of refusing the contract. It would have made more sense to refuse the contract and fight off the baddies coming to enforce the blood oath.

Sin 4: Video Game Bad Guys Wow. There is evidently a plethora of John Wick cannon fodder. They just keep coming, and there really is no logical reason why they do. The body count is so high that it becomes comical. The original had a big body count, but it was divided among 5 big action scenes and, for an action movie, seemed plausible. This one doubles the body count but there are so many, the coolness of each kill is lost in an over abundance of victims.

Sin 5: Invincible Superhero Hit by two cars, stabbed and shot numerous times and he just keeps on going. Must be seeing the doctor and getting pain pills, right? Nope no doctors in this one. That kind of logical realism may interfere with the killing of cardboard bad guys. At one point a fellow assassin, holds a pistol point blank in Wick's abdomen and fires a couple shots through him. No biggie Wick has another 42 bad guys to kill.

Sin 6: James Bond Gadgets I love the Continental, don't get me wrong, but the secret underground hit-man hosting hotel just goes too far in this one. Bulletproof suit coats that can be held up like Batman's cape to shield yourself from bullets? Silencers so quiet that two adversaries can have a shootout in a subway between bystanders and nobody knows even though bullet holes are being blasted into the walls around them?

Sin 7: Shallow Villains Yes there are the 140 plus cardboard video game baddies, but in the first John Wick, the main villain had a moral dilemma: turn over his son to save his own butt. The bad guys in Wick 2 have no interesting character motivation or dilemmas. The closest you get is Common's desire for revenge after Wick kills his client. And that was the most interesting bad guy on the screen. It is hard to believe the two movies were written by the same folks.

Sin 8: Soundtrack John Wick 1 had an unbelievable soundtrack that actually set the mood as he moved through the action scenes and the emotional scenes. This soundtrack just plain sucks. There is nothing memorable in it, and it does little to impart any emotion on a given scene.

Sin 9: Pacing Even the big action scenes in this movie are too long. In their desire to up the body count they went with longer action sequences. It really messes with the pace of the film. The first movie did a great job of dividing the action and keeping the viewer engaged. The longer these scenes go, the less believable they became which pulls the audience out of the moment.

Sin 10: Rehashing things that worked in the first movie There are some great scenes in the first Wick, and the director knew that so they tried to repeat them. This is a classic sequel mistake and unfortunately Wick 2 falls victim to this trope. You liked the interaction with Jimmy? We will get another one in there. Like the reload and kill? We will put a twist on that one also. It was great to see the pencil kills, that is how it should be done. Don't show us the same thing but different. Show us new, that may have been mentioned previously.

Making the next sequel look better then this one. The end of this movie sets up a very interesting plot for a third movie and almost everyone that walked out was excited to see it. That is wonderful, except when that movie actually sounds more interesting then the one you just watched. You should have just made that movie instead.

All in all Wick 2 falls short of the first one. Once again we are treated to an amazing movie whose sequel just doesn't capture the magic of the first one. I'm looking at you Red 2, Donnie Darko 2, Matrix 2, etc...
1. Yeah they attack him, for 7 million, and when the entire city is trying to kill him. I would have assumed that he would be tired out and would be easier to kill.

2. The entire point of the story is that he's being pulled back into the world he tried so hard to escape from. He's falling back down the slippery slope again to the point where he says he will kill them all, where as before, he let some people go.

3. They're going for a morally grey area, it's a dilemma, he's going back and forth between to very unfavorable options, and you can see the struggle he's going through when he meets his target, he doesn't just kill her, he explains what's going on and questions what he's doing.

4. So doing what a sequel is suppose to do, be bigger and better and overall improve on the original, that's a sin?

5. No doctor, he's fixed up at the Continentals and the homeless underworld people.

6. Alright, that was kind of pushing it.

7. But that's what's so cool about John Wick, all the characters have clear history with Wick and they never fail to mention that, he knows how they think and fight.

8. The beginning scene at the Coliseum, I rest my case.

9. How much time did they take establishing the conflicts in this film, it's a good solid 20 minutes of pacing setting up the second and third action sequences.

10. Yes, the copy little things, but here's the thing. John Wick clearly has a fighting style, the way he holds his gun, the way he shoots. And the mirror maze scene, that was incredible, I've never seen anything like it in an action movie and currently holds the spot as my favorite scene of the year.

For me:

Persona.

It's not smart, it's just complicated and costs too much on cinematic style.

Annie Hall

Many great ideas for gags but it doesn't do anything with them.

My Neighbor totoru

There isn't any...conflict.

Vertigo

It takes a while to get anywhere and then it completely self spoils with that letter.

Schindler’s List

It's supposed to be the story of Oscar Schindler but it's really just an exhibition of the holocaust. It has its moments but it's basically just a slasher.

This is Spinal Tap

I despise this movie. It's not clever. The timing is so off. It's a lesson that improvisation just isn't a good idea.

Any movie directed by Clint Eastwood. He just makes slow, boring, single-point, single-layer movies for old people, and he gets praised because the Oscars are run by his old people buddies.

Scarface is on the level of a B movie but everybody likes it because they think that Tony is cool.
Dr. Strangelove is a good movie with an important message, but it doesn't hold up at all when it comes to cinematography, acting, at least not enough to be regarded so highly as it is.

There are too many.

I Enjoy Working With People

Well, I'm sorry, but there isn't much about the film that rings true to me: the training sequence, the interviews of Lecter, the way Starling does everything by herself, and the climactic scene where she gets herself into a situation no FBI agent would get themselves into.

Hopkins was interesting, but his character was a large exaggeration of the real-life model for the character. I didn't buy Foster as an FBI agent, and the villain of the movie was a ridiculous cliché.

I admit my real life may be too close to the subject to approach the movie like most viewers - but I did answer the original post honestly.

Hope people remember these "most overrated" threads when the Mofies come around for worst thread. It usually goes to something controversial like the Trump thread or some obvious troll thread but i think these are much worse.