The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... DOG DAY AFTERNOON

RT – 96%, IMDb – 8.0

Roger Ebert said:

"The movie has an irreverent, quirky sense of humor, and we get some notion of the times we live in when the bank starts getting obscene phone calls -- and the giggling tellers breathe heavily into the receiver. There's also, in a film that's probably about fifteen minutes too long, an attempt to take a documentary look at the ways police and banks try to handle situations like this." (read full review here)
Eloise King-Clements, from Medium, said:

"Throughout the movie the shots and editing empathize with Sonny, this is just one example. The comradery and support he receives from his hostages and the crowd give Dog Day Afternoon a light and upbeat feel. But, in true neo-noir fashion, the dark undertones of the movie come to a head in the final scenes." (read full review here)
@Jack1 said:

"This is an excellent film, in my opinion, and I would recommend it to anyone who loves a good crime drama with characters who are far more than just the cardboard cutouts present in many films in the genre. Pacino provides arguably his best performance ever, and the writing is terrific." (read full review here)

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT

RT – 96%, IMDb – 7.7

Roger Ebert said:

"The movie is filled with throwaway gags, inside jokes, one-liners and little pokes at the screen images of its cartoon characters. It is also oddly convincing, not only because of the craft of the filmmakers but also because Hoskins and the other live actors have found the right note for their interaction with the Toons." (read full review here)
Alex Katz, from Flixist, said:

"Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a celebration of film noir as much as it is a celebration of cartoons. One must look no further than the protagonist, Eddie Valiant, for one of the biggest pieces of evidence of this. Eddie is basically every noir protagonist archetype rolled into a ball and spat into a fedora." (read full review here)
@mark f said:

"If you don't know, the script was intentionally devised to have echoes of Chinatown in its depiction of an L.A. scandal, so it's not a kiddie movie at all; at least unless you're just a kiddie at heart. When all is said and done, I just enjoy the fact that someone had the audacity to make this entertaining film." (read full review here)

Dog Day Afternoon is good, but it had no chance at making my ballot. Here's what I wrote on it in a Hall of Fame:

Dog Day Afternoon (1975) -

This is my second time watching this film and my opinion of it is about the same as it was last time. I think the film is at its best when it shows the reactions the civilians have to Sonny throughout the day. Those scenes are all great. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the scenes which occur inside the bank. Sal isn't that memorable as Sonny's accomplice and the other bank workers are pretty bland as well. I do like the rare bit of tension in the bank (mainly in the first act) and how both groups eventually get along with each other, but even those elements grow a bit tiring as the film goes on, especially in the second half. But yeah, whenever Sonny exits the bank, the film gets me on board again. Whether you're referring to how Sonny becomes a celebrity amongst the civilians, the iconic "Attica!" scene, or how the civilians remain supportive of him after they learn he's from the LGBT community (I'm curious how well those scenes were received back in the day), those parts of the film are full of life. So much texture and detail is thrown into that one street, it feels like a vivid portrait of New York in the 70's which you could step into. Though yeah, all things considered, the film is a mixture of great and (somewhat) dull which provides a ceiling to my enjoyment of it.
I haven't seen Who Framed Roger Rabbit in years, so I barely remember it. I remember enjoying it though.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Who Framed Roger Rabbit was my #18. I probably saw it long before I saw any classic noir films and it's still one of the first films that came to mind as neo-noir. Yes, it's a comedy, but the whole basis of the comedy is 'toons do noir'.

Dog Day Afternoon was #28 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s. Who Framed Roger Rabbit was #31 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1980s.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

AWARDS?

Dog Day Afternoon received several nominations and awards. These are some of the most notable:
  • Seven (7) Golden Globe Award nominations, including Best Motion Picture
  • Six (6) Academy Award nominations, including a win for Best Original Screenplay (Frank Pierson)
  • Six (6) BAFTA Film Award nominations, including a win for Best Actor (Al Pacino)
  • Two (2) National Board of Review Awards, including Best Supporting Actor (Charles Durning)
  • One (1) Directors Guild of America Award for Best Director (Sidney Lumet)

AWARDS?

Who Framed Roger Rabbit received several nominations and awards. These are some of the most notable:
  • Eight (8) Saturn Award nominations, including a win for Best Fantasy Film
  • Seven (7) Academy Award nominations, including Best Film Editing (Arthur Schmidt)
  • Five (5) BAFTA Film Award nominations, including a win for Best Special Effects
  • Two (2) Golden Globe Award nominations, including Best Motion Picture
  • One (1) Jupiter Award for Best International Film

Seen Roger Rabbit once way back when it was out. I believe I liked it but have never felt a need to watch it again.

Dog Day Afternoon is terrific but yet another film, let me put it this way, if it weren't for the presence of films like Red Rock West and Bound, I'm not sure anyone could look at this list and figure out what it was.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
#36. Dog Day Afternoon (1975) is my #19.

What can I say more about this film...it's all said about it.
Alas, in most of the cases when I think about this movie or The Deer Hunter or The Godfather, it brings me sadness about John Cazale's fate.

++
95/100

-----

My Ballot

4. The Driver (1978) [#79]
6. Red Rock West (1993) [#88]
7. The Hot Spot (1990) [#85]
8. Shallow Grave (1994) [#95]
14. Purple Noon (1960) [#94]
16. Thelma & Louise (1991) [#56]
19. Dog Day Afternoon (1975) [#36]
21. Mona Lisa (1986) [#78]
24. Pulp Fiction (1994) [#37]

-----

Others in my radar:

The Ninth Gate (1999) [one-pointers]
The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) [#96]
True Romance (1993) [#60]

Have seen so far: 17
Dog Day Afternoon - A classic 70's bank robber movie starring Al Pacino as he stirs up chaos at a bank. #4 on my ballot list.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit - One of the best movies in the 80's, I sure enjoyed it. #5 on my ballot list.

Have not seen so far: 47

My Ballot List
#3 - The Dark Knight
#4 - Dog Day Afternoon
#5 - Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Two films I love, but none made my list mostly because I don't see them as neo-noir.
If I'd played by those rules (as I usually do) my list would've been about 3 or 4 tops.

Some really good films in the last couple of days and Who Framed Roger Rabbit? One of them did make my list as I had Pulp Fiction at #5. I don't really think of it as Noir, neo or otherwise, but I needed something on my list and there's certainly enough bits to make up a chunk, which I think can be called Neo-Noir within the overall film.

I probably could've done the same for The Big Lebowski, but it just didn't feel right to me, so I didn't do so.

Seen Roger Rabbit once way back when it was out. I believe I liked it but have never felt a need to watch it again.

Dog Day Afternoon is terrific but yet another film, let me put it this way, if it weren't for the presence of films like Red Rock West and Bound, I'm not sure anyone could look at this list and figure out what it was.

My sentiment on Roger Rabbit is fairly similar, except I was young enough that I know I loved it at the time. But I was also fairly young.

Dog Day Afternoon - I went back and looked at the list, and I probably would have guessed "crime movies + erotic thrillers, so I guess crime movies in general."

Yes, we are putting a decent Crime/Thriller list together that has occasional Neo Noir mixed in. As I expected.

Which ones so far would you consider genuine neo-noir? Serious question.

Welcome to the human race...
two votes.

the big lebowski was my #8. i don't know exactly how much you can consider it a quote-unquote parody of noir films due to how it reimagines the archetypal private eye narrative through the lens of a shiftless slacker stumbling into a bizarre kidnapping scheme with all manner of potential culprits, but as is often the case with the coens they have a keen enough understanding of whatever genre they're working in to deliver a sublime example, even one buried under a surface of eccentric angelenos and tenpin bowling.

genuinely surprised to double-check my ballot and find that pulp fiction isn't on there. can't remember why - did i think the one tarantino i did vote for was sufficient, did i figure it didn't need my help, did it just slip my mind completely - but in any case it's not there and maybe it should've been. just an undeniable piece of work.

have only ever seen dog day afternoon once. it's good, i just never feel any particularly strong urge to go back to it (this is true of most of the lumet films i've seen).

who framed roger rabbit was my #24. definitely one of the truly transcendent genre parodies that fires on all cylinders - absolutely dialed-in performances by its human players, elaborate blend of animation and live-action filmmaking, and a genuinely solid noir story underneath it all.

9lists114points
Gone Girl
Director

David Fincher, 2014

Starring

Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike, Neil Patrick Harris, Tyler Perry

11lists115points
Collateral
Director

Michael Mann, 2004

Starring

Jamie Foxx, Tom Cruise, Jada Pinkett Smith, Mark Ruffalo

TRAILERS

Gone Girl - The seemingly blissful marriage of a writer and his wife is put into question when she disappears on their anniversary, and he becomes the prime suspect.

Collateral - A cab driver finds himself the hostage of an engaging contract killer as he makes his rounds from hit to hit during one night in Los Angeles.

Seen both, but none made my ballot. Gone Girl has an amazing first half that keeps you guessing all the time, and although I feel like the second half loses some steam, I do like the questions it poses about who we are, how do we present ourselves, and how the media handles things. It would probably sneak into my Fincher Top 5, but I acknowledge I need a rewatch.

Collateral is one I've grown to appreciate more the more I watch it, mostly on the ground of how fun it is. It's often on cable, so I've seen it quite a bit. I don't care that much about Foxx's performance, but Cruise is great. Love most of the setpieces.

SEEN: 43/68
MY BALLOT: 12/25

My ballot  

Reply to Topic