Best Music Movies

Tools    

Oh, man, that movie is awesome, with lots of fun and obscure cameos (keep an eye out for Courtney Love applying spanks). Absolutley zero budget, hopelessly and wonderfully dated in a late '80s way, but still loads of fun...even if it does leave me singing about chicken and waffles for days afterward. Cusack and Robbins are terrific together, as always, and Sam Moore and Junior Walker are fan-frippin'-tastic ("Swanky Modes!!!").

There's an R1 S.E. DVD of Tapeheads, BTW, with a commentary track featuring the director and a couple of the producers, including Mike Nesmith - yes, that Michael Nesmith (who served as executive producer). Anybody wanting to discover this little gem, pick it up sometime.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I second that emotion. And it goes on my "best music movies" list.

A DVD of Tapeheads--now that would be sweet... Our VHS copy is ratty as all hell.

I haven't been too impressed with movies about music, but here are my top 5:
5. Coal Miner's Daughter
4. Almost Famous
3. That Thing You Do
2. Blues Brothers
1. La Bamba

crazed out movie freak
hey how could you not like Mr. Hollands Opus. I thought it was a very good movie with a killer soundtrack to boot.Not my favorite though. i would have to go with Eddy and the Cruisers.as my number one pic.

#2 That Thing You Do (watched a million times and can't get
sick of it)
#3 Labamba
#4 Grease
#5 The Buddy Holly Story

Honarable Mention: An American Dream: The Story of the Jacksons ( Gosh those crazy kids crack me up)

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Raziel1
hey how could you not like Mr. Hollands Opus. I thought it was a very good movie with a killer soundtrack to boot.
Are you being...*ahem* sarcastic? ( I hope)

crazed out movie freak
yes i'm being sarcastic. kinda

Now With Moveable Parts
Oh good, I was starting to worry about you...-doesn't like Kirsten Dunst-Thinks Casablanca reminds him of Sleepless...
*whew*

The Gweat and Tewwible
Almost Famous
"Is it that hard to make us look cool?"
Velvet Goldmine
Little Voice
Brassed Off
Amadeus
Cabaret
The Sound of Music
Music brought the whole family closer!
There's No Business Like Show Business
Especially Marilyn's "Heat Wave" number...
That Thing You Do! was like my favorite movie when I was 12, but I hate, hate, hated the ending, almost ruined the whole movie. I guess I still like it.

Now With Moveable Parts
Brassed Off
I forgot about this one...a good Ewan flick. Nice choice.

The Gweat and Tewwible
Thanks sades. I forgot Swing Kids Christian Bale and Robert Sean Leonard Can't beat that. Swing dancing, swing music, and all in Nazi Germany. It's a pretty hip movie...

Now With Moveable Parts
Good Call again! You are on the money, baby!
I LOVE Swing Kids; good, clean fun. Everyone can bag on it all they want, but nuthin' beats Christian Bale dancin'!

Originally posted by Ozma
The Sound of Music
Music brought the whole family closer!
I hate to agree, but I do. A very good movie. My little sister convinced me to watch it, and I'm quite thankful to her for it.

crazed out movie freak
sound of music.good choice

Now With Moveable Parts
I hate to sound like a grinch, but I hated the Sound of Music. It completely sucks. I don't like Mary Poppins or Peter Pan, either. In fact, I'd go as far as to say Julie Andrews...blech!!

It was too long, and I didn't dig Peter Pan either...but I can't help but enjoy certain parts of both The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins. The music just gets in your blasted head and won't go away.

Now With Moveable Parts
She's so, damn...I don't the right word. Honestly, I think of her running around in her Peter Pan outfit acting all boyish and I want to puke.
The Sound of Music was just the pits. Even as a kid I remember thinking it was horse sh*t.
and Mary Poppins! Don't get me started. The only cool thing about that movie was the little boy. He was so ugly and dopey...I loved him.

The Gweat and Tewwible
I dunno why I like the sound of music. Hehe, I remember my aunt always saying "Turn that off and watch a cool movie like Gone with the Wind" Which I also like and she was obsessed with. Honestly, I have always had a huge crush on the captain . I also like the kids, they were pretty cool together. My favorite was always Leisel...I dunno, I just can't resist Julie Andrew's spunk in that movie, its kind of contagious. The only part I hate is when the nun is singing that loooong, rediculously boring song.

Velvet Goldmine
Sh*t, I'd totally forgotten that one! I really, really liked that movie, but no one else I know did. Nice pick, Oz!

And The Sound of Music... I do love it. Always have, always will.

Mary Lo sings it out:

How do you solve a problem like Mari-a?
How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?
How do you find a word that means Mari-a?
A flibertigibbit.
A will o' the wisp.
A clown.

And who can forget the fabulous yodelling marionette number? I want to do a lounge act formed entirely from Sound of Music numbers.

Sings jauntily while snapping her fingers: The hills are alive... Thank you! ...with the sound of music... Thank you so much!

BACKBEAT!

(Where's the DVD people..?)

Originally posted by Yoda

I hate to agree, but I do. A very good movie. My little sister convinced me to watch it, and I'm quite thankful to her for it.
The story is deceptively chick-flickish. When you see ads for Julie Andrew dancing around like a Coke-addict (both powder and drink), with kids swinging off her arms in doofy outfits, most men want to leave the room.

However, Christopher Plummer's performance is the hidden gem for guys who need a reason to keep watching the film. He holds up the other end of the story, as it were, and I think brilliantly.