Into Casting Movies? Need HELP!

Tools    

This one is going to require some skill and knowledge of the original Star Trek series.

I've just completed a screenplay that has several appearances of Majel Barrett/Roddenberry. She played Nurse Chapel in the Star Trek.

I need to come up with an actress who's about 29-35 now, but has the character acting chops to vary her age from 23-55 (makeup effects presumed for that latter years..)

Despite her Trek exposure, pictures are hard to come by. These two give you a good idea:

Majel pictures

Right now, flipping thru magazines, I've noticed Kate Winslet of all people. I'm not sure if she'd have the chops, but who knows.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Courtney Love? She's got the looks, and she's a pretty good actress--a better actress than a singer, anyway. Much better .

"I'm not sure Kate Winslet would have the chops"

Are you insane? Kate Winslet is one of the best actresses of her generation?

For looks-wise, I think a Cate Blanchett or a Cameron Diaz. Maybe a Joan Allen, but she might be over the age grouping. Are you serious about casting this part or is this only fun? Because I doubt any A-list actress will want to do a biography of Ms. Gene Roddenberry. Sorry.

Jane Kazmarak (sp?). She is/was in Ally McBeal and played Betty in the recent Flintstones movie. She's hardly a big name. Could look the part.

Originally posted by bigvalbowski
I doubt any A-list actress will want to do a biography of Ms. Gene Roddenberry. Sorry.
Is it a bio-pic of Mrs. Gene Roddenberry? I didn't get that impression from the post... just that she is in the screenplay. It must have to do with her life, but she's not the main character, is she?

BTW, agree with Val about Kate Winslet, although she probably wouldn't take this particular role.

Mary Lo

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Hmmm...
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Mary Loquacious

Is it a bio-pic of Mrs. Gene Roddenberry? I didn't get that impression from the post... just that she is in the screenplay. It must have to do with her life, but she's not the main character, is she?

BTW, agree with Val about Kate Winslet, although she probably wouldn't take this particular role.

Mary Lo
I can't comment on the project yet, except to say that, yes, it stars Majel Barrett as ONE of the leads. It's a spec script I've just completed my first draft on.

What I'm doing is either illegal or unheard of, but I had this story idea I couldn't resist. It's a what-if story featuring real people. Kind of like: what if Jack Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe not only had an affair, but had a son, and that son we know to be as Tom Cruise.

Now wait-- I know-- that sounds STUPID, right? But what if there was all sorts of REAL circumstantial evidence lying around that it could be true?

My Majel story is similar. It's a what if that is patently ridiculous, but the MORE you think about actual events in her life, it sounds LESS absurd and.. hopefully.. intriguingly possible.

So now you're saying, EVEN SO, who cares about Majel Barrett? Well, who gave a rat's @ss about the math dude in BEAUTIFUL MIND until a movie was made?

What my script has going for it that MIND didn't is:

1. MIND tried to stick to the truth somewhat while also taking extraordinary poetic licence for dramatic purposes. In my opinion, that film is almost as much as a WHAT IF story as mine, but mine doesn't pretend to be true, where there's did.

2. Since my story isn't true, I'm at liberty to make it as dramatic and entertaining as possible.

My REAL problem is if such a movie could get made. After all, some of the real people in it are very much alive, and the piece isn't meant to necessarily honor or flatter.

I'm hoping that if the film starts with this--

NOT based on a true story..

-- all legal discomforts may be sidestepped..

Originally posted by bigvalbowski
For looks-wise, I think a Cate Blanchett or a Cameron Diaz.
I'm thinking of Cate too a little. I disguarded Diaz because she is simply too sexy. Even when she dumbed it down for MALKOVITCH, she was still hot. I think she could leave one of those hospital burn centers hotter than she went in..

Okay, I'm better. What were we talking about? Oh yeah. I think Cate definitely has the pointing chin for it, although I'm not sure about the eyes. I'd have to go check. Hey-- I'M ON THE INTERNET!! I'll check now!!

(play FINAL JEOPARDY theme now in your mind..)

Hey, I'm back. She is good!!! Check this out:

http://www.thecelebdepot.com/Actress...chett/012.html

I think she'll have no problem considering the role. Good actresses care less about who they're playing and more about what they're doing AS that character.