Spin-off thread about feminism

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
It might have been a hypocritical move, but he did what he felt he had to do to win the election. Whatever works.
That doesn't make it any better.

It isn't just about the people who are trying to become President. It can also be about the parties and what they represent and believe in. Maybe people have just had enough of 8 years of the Democrats and their beliefs about things.
It doesn't help that Citizen Tang was more than willing to buck the GOP party line and embolden disenfranchised demographics in the process.

Here's the thing: Trump had no problem assembling a number of Bill's accusers during one of the presidential debates in order to discredit Hillary, yet he himself had a number of outstanding accusers who were filing suits against him as well. The hypocrisy involved in this move is staggering. Besides which, his ex-wife Ivana delivered a sworn statement of him committing marital rape decades ago so it's not like this recent wave of accusers was just a completely fresh smear campaign.
Ivana was decades ago true, but the new ones were a month before the election. And the Ivana and Donald had a very public tabloid fueled divorce. Which resulted in no charges.

Again, you don't like Trump? Fine. So long as it is for policy, political performance, or lack there of in your case. But the tabloid BS is just that.

Welcome to the human race...
Ivana was decades ago true, but the new ones were a month before the election. And the Ivana and Donald had a very public tabloid fueled divorce. Which resulted in no charges.

Again, you don't like Trump? Fine. So long as it is for policy, political performance, or lack there of in your case. But the tabloid BS is just that.
See what I wrote to TONGO in that same post.

I did. It is still shaky. Also if you haven't seen my post concerning rape stigmata as a response to Ash, check it out.
Yeah I repped Iros post on that because he could be right, the injustice would be too much to swallow for a victim, possibly. It really would have helped greatly if even one person had come forward years ago, then more followed suit like Bill Cosbys accusers did, instead of it all happening within 3 months of the election.

Really gross stuff. Damn, Bernie really would have been a good President guys.

Yeah I repped Iros post on that because he could be right, the injustice would be too much to swallow for a victim, possibly. It really would have helped greatly if even one person had come forward years ago, then more followed suit like Bill Cosbys accusers did, instead of it all happening within 3 months of the election.

Really gross stuff. Damn, Bernie really would have been a good President guys.
It could. But most people are going to want more information or some semblance of proof. Most people want to believe the rape victim. That is going to be the normal reaction of most people in America. But given the circumstances, the timing, and the entire big picture the accusations are at the best shaky, and at the worst, dubious.

If what they say is true, then this.

Damn, Bernie really would have been a good President guys.
Let's not go crazy Tongo.

ok... i feel like there's a big miscommunication here and i honestly don't know when or where it started lol, maybe we agree more than we realize, i dunno. i'm gonna try to go back to the beginning of the debate:
Yeah, I dunno how we got twisted up, but no worries. The main thing is: we agree rape is not just about sexual release.

my whole argument from the getgo was that sexism/disrespect of women plays a huge part in rape and rape culture because it's about control and power. men, usually being the ones used to being in control, have a harder time letting go of that power, and are therefore more apt to commit these heinous acts. initially i thought you were disagreeing with that, and saying that actually, it's because men find themselves in situations where they are being denied sex more, and that's pretty much the reason why.

would you agree with me here or no?
Yes and no. I'd agree that's part of it. I'd only disagree (and I'm not convinced this is what you're even saying) that it's enough of an explanation by itself.

Maybe this is a more helpful way to put it: I think a disparity should be expected given the hugely disproportionate number of situations in which men are sexually rejected. But I also think that this disparity is bigger than is mathematically (for lack of a better word) necessary, because men are more violent by their very nature. Though I do want to preemptively point out the distinction between the nature of men, and simply "used to being in control." I think it's a lot deeper than just habit, or even culture, and I think masculine impulses aren't as juvenile as "I want to be in charge and I'm mad when I'm not" (again, not that you're saying they are).

So what I was bristling about originally was not the idea that men are just more inherently violent, because they obviously are. It was just the idea that any disparity in sexual assault is proof of this, when I think some disparity would be expected either way.

Basically, I'm arguing against the idea that differences in outcomes are proof of sexism. Men and women are different, and there's literally no reason to expect that equality under the law, or even equal esteem within the culture, would lead to identical outcomes in anything. I'm not sure if anyone literally said otherwise, but that's the implication if someone simply cites a difference, as if that makes the point by itself.

i thought we were just talking about fields that are mainly male dominated, where strength is a factor. i think sewer work or sanitation falls in those categories.
That's probably true, though I totally buy that women apply for those jobs far less, out of genuine disinterest. That first link you posted contained some line about the sanitation department saying they don't get many applicants.

I think sexism exists, but I also think most of the people handling the hiring in anything close to an entry-level field are really desperate for good, reliable workers, and that that's usually their primary concern.

And here's the nice thing: even if we do nothing, places that don't hire qualified women? They're at a competitive disadvantage. They will literally lose money on account of their prejudice. Competitors who don't share that prejudice will benefit.

i threw out the police and firefighting as examples, but i thought the sewer/sanitation/coal mining ones were good examples because they are generally seen as gross jobs that no one wants to do, and i've seen many MRA's say that women don't want those jobs because they aren't willing to do them, not cause they are being denied them.
I think treating women like a hive-mind (a pet peeve of mine on both ends of the political spectrum) is obviously silly. But do we agree that it's usually true, even if not universally? That fewer women are going to be interested in filthy and/or dangerous jobs relative to men?

are you referring to the first link i posted under about coal mining? cause it's not really a petition of any kind, it's facts about women (and children) working as coal miners during the Industrial Revolution.
Yeah, I suppose I took that opening line about safety protocols to suggest that this was something people were fighting to change, but perhaps I was extrapolating there.

Anyway, since that first one's about women and men working side by side, what conclusion are you saying we should draw from it?

Even if the gap isn't a one-size-fits-all 77%, it's not like it doesn't exist at all - the fact that there is a gap at all is the issue, and the size of the gap itself is only one part of that issue.
I can dig up some of the studies in question if necessary, but the ones I recall seeing that actually controlled for basic factors (industry, seniority, hours worked, etc.), and they all found either a gap the other way--with women earning slightly more--or a gap so small that it was indistinguishable from statistical noise. IE: 95 cents on the dollar.

I realize this is often lumped alongside more dubious anti-feminist arguments, but in this case, it's a legitimate complaint: there's a lot of really blatant misinformation floating around about the pay gap, and it's amazing how much of it gets passed around uncritically.

I can dig up some of the studies in question if necessary, but the ones I recall seeing that actually controlled for basic factors (industry, seniority, hours worked, etc.), and they all found either a gap the other way--with women earning slightly more--or a gap so small that it was indistinguishable from statistical noise. IE: 95 cents on the dollar.
I know I'm not the one you were directing this toward, but I'd like to see those studies.

I've been out of the game for a couple years now, but when I was an econ undergrad the only wage gap work in labor economics that approached widespread acceptance (though not universal) was "Gender, Inequality, and Wages". IIRC, that work definitely shows a narrowed gap after controlling for industry/time served at occupation, but it certainly didn't vanish or go in the other direction. That said, I read it originally in college while I had access to our online library, and just now I tried for a while to confirm my memories by finding a way to read it again without paying a ridiculous amount, but no luck so far, I'm sure there's something out there and I'll look again later.

(By the way, the hot research issue when I left was about wage negotiation, which I haven't read all of but I recall a few studies that argued both [1] part of the wage gap is explained by women not negotiating for higher wages as effectively as men but that [2] women were just as effective as men at actually negotiating for wage increases, and IIRC even better than men, when it was on behalf of another party. Generally implying that there is some sort of ingrained stigma against women arguing for their own wage increases [either in their own minds or the minds of others]. It's also interesting because when I was looking around for the studies you mentioned I ran into this study on the different effects of testosterone on the wage gap, according to this study it seemed like men who had higher prenatal testosterone exposure [which is linked to being more masculine] had higher wage returns than those without, but that women who had higher testosterone exposure did not experience such a benefit; seemingly implying that it's not the market even simply rewarding masculinity, but just when it's males showing that masculinity [implying bias, imo]. But that's just a thought, the study did not argue that and I didn't come across one that did during my brief check.)

But I'd also caution about saying that a gender gap doesn't exist because it doesn't control for industry; it's not hard to imagine that part of the issue itself is that (A) industries with predominately female workers are underpaid relative to their generated value [i.e. the industry itself experiences some sort of blanket bias] or (B) women are pressured to participate in those less equitably paid industries [or at least aren't as encouraged as men are], or some sort of combination.

Basically, if someone said that (X) wage gap doesn't exist because (X Group) should simply get better paying jobs, I can't help but feel like part of the point was missed?

Regardless, even if controlling for industry (and other factors) is a categorical mistake, I still haven't seen anything that said there wasn't a gap after controlling for them, so I'm legitimately curious in any case.

I'll jump ahead a bit here too and say that you and I might even be in line on our thinking, because the general solutions I'd want to see tried first are solutions that let the market function better, though we might disagree on what function better means. The things I see creating a better labor market are paid family leave (for anyone) and getting more women into those other, higher paying industries. If we work on making those things we have to control for moot, and a pay gap is still there, then I think we can agree there's something else going on. Or if it disappears then we've really made progress, and we all can move on to a different argument.

I know I'm not the one you were directing this toward, but I'd like to see those studies.
Sure. There's What Do Wage Differentials Tell Us about Labor Market Discrimination? by June and David O'Neill, which finds controlling for those factors basically eliminates it. Money quote: "There is no gender gap in wages among men and women with similar family roles."

The American Association of University Women conducted a similar study in 2012, though I can't find it online. But I found two articles from that time period referencing it, which each said they put the difference around 5-6%.

Perhaps most significantly, the U.S. Department of Labor put out a study in 2009 covering dozens of peer-reviewed papers on the topic, and similarly puts it between 5-7%.

I'll have to get back to you on the reverse gap thing. There's a 2010 study that, in large cities, young, single women earn more than young, single men, but that's obviously a little narrow (though still kinda hard to reconcile with the idea of society-wide sex discrimination). That wasn't the one I was thinking of, though, so let me see what I can find.

For the record, I don't think there's a reverse gap, and I think there could easily be some gap. But if there is, I think it's very small, to the point where it would be hard to say with much confidence that it exists at all, and harder still to chalk it up to sexism. 20% gaps can only be explained by big, glaring problems, but a 5% gap could be explained by a lot of relatively innocuous things.

(By the way, the hot research issue when I left was about wage negotiation, which I haven't read all of but I recall a few studies that argued both [1] part of the wage gap is explained by women not negotiating for higher wages as effectively as men but that [2] women were just as effective as men at actually negotiating for wage increases, and IIRC even better than men, when it was on behalf of another party. Generally implying that there is some sort of ingrained stigma against women arguing for their own wage increases [either in their own minds or the minds of others].
Yeah, I've heard of that: that simply asking, or not, is a huge factor. Maybe it's as simple as convincing women it's okay to ask for raises.

It's also interesting because when I was looking around for the studies you mentioned I ran into this study on the different effects of testosterone on the wage gap, according to this study it seemed like men who had higher prenatal testosterone exposure [which is linked to being more masculine] had higher wage returns than those without, but that women who had higher testosterone exposure did not experience such a benefit; seemingly implying that it's not the market even simply rewarding masculinity, but just when it's males showing that masculinity [implying bias, imo]. But that's just a thought, the study did not argue that and I didn't come across one that did during my brief check.)
Does it necessarily imply that? I think other possibilities fit the data. For example, maybe testosterone helps at high levels, but not low ones. Even women with very high testosterone levels will produce much, much less than even a low-T man. The baselines are totally different, and I don't know why we'd assume the effect is linear.

I'd also feel pretty safe assuming that men are more likely to work in fields where increased testosterone was beneficial in the first place. It probably helps construction workers, but I doubt it does much for clerical work. Probably just the opposite, in fact, since higher testosterone correlates with lower attention spans, IIRC.

Basically, if someone said that (X) wage gap doesn't exist because (X Group) should simply get better paying jobs, I can't help but feel like part of the point was missed?
I guess that depends on what you think "the point" is. It seems to me these arguments are almost invariably a response to one of those totally raw numbers, like "women make 77% as much as men," in which case I'd say it addresses the point pretty directly. Particularly when you consider the rhetoric that usually accompanies that number, like the phrase "equal pay for equal work," which the President used a number of times. When someone uses that number and that phrase in conjunction, they're basically lying.

It could miss the point if it were the response to a thoughtful, nuanced argument about broad societal priorities, I guess. But that's not what people are outraged over, and not what it's generally a response to. People are outraged over the idea that women are getting paid less for doing the same thing. The idea that prioritizing something over your work will affect your wages, on the other hand, is decidedly less outrageous.

Or if it disappears then we've really made progress, and we all can move on to a different argument.
I'd like to think so, but I'm skeptical it would make a difference. If people (leaders in particular) don't care about even basic methodological questions now, I dunno why they'd stop using this stuff to gin up outrage with a couple more data points.

Also, I simultaneously like and hate your replies, because they're always thoughtful and substantive, but in a way that means I have to be particularly thorough and considered in my response, which can be weirdly exhausting. So...thanks?

I'll have to take some time to go over those links, so the only part I'll address right now is:

It seems to me these arguments are almost invariably a response to one of those totally raw numbers, like "women make 77% as much as men," in which case I'd say it addresses the point pretty directly. Particularly when you consider the rhetoric that usually accompanies that number, like the phrase "equal pay for equal work," which the President used a number of times. When someone uses that number and that phrase in conjunction, they're basically lying.
I can agree with the basic premise here. If they are trying to make a point about inequality within industries but use numbers about inequalities between industries without making the distinction obvious, they are being a bit misleading, and likely intentionally so.

Also, I simultaneously like and hate your replies, because they're always thoughtful and substantive, but in a way that means I have to be particularly thorough and considered in my response, which can be weirdly exhausting. So...thanks?
I agree, and you post a lot more than me so I have no idea how you do it. I only respond to your stuff when I feel like really putting something thoughtful together, because I have actually have to.

Makes my arguments better though, or at least I scrap bad ones.