MoFo Fantasy Football 2016 - The Playoffs

Tools    

Another year in the books! And after 13 grueling weeks (seriously, is your lineup-setting finger as tired as mine?), we've whittled the 14 teams down to just 6.

Pretty fair outcomes re: points and wins. The top five scoring teams are the top five seeds (though not in the same order), and and the #6 seed, Spaulding, was the #7 scorer. The odd man out was Frightened Inmate, though he was just 7 points ahead.

Scoring matters, because unlikely the scheduling, it isn't random. Historically, the champions have had the following scoring ranks: #1, #5, #2, #4, #2, #1, #1, #2. I managed the top score this year, for the third straight year. Two years ago it led to a MoFo Bowl Victory, and last year, a first-round exit. So it sure doesn't guarantee anything, though in the utter chaos that is fantasy football in a given week, it's the best metric we have.

And what are we playing for? This thing of beauty:

Oooo, sparkly. On to the playoff teams!

The Byes

I've got the first bye at 11-2, and Pete hung onto the second at 9-5, thanks to a big performance from Andrew Luck that propelled Spaulding to victory. Neither of us knows who we'll play, because we're using playoff reseeding. So the only thing we know for sure is that I won't be playing TONGO in the next round, and Pete won't be playing Spaulding. All other matchups are possible.

I head into the playoffs having won the last three weeks, with only a 129-point loss breaking up what otherwise would've been a 12-week streak. Pete heads into the bye having lost his last two (after winning the previous seven!), but more concerning are the totals: 78 and 93, respectively.

#3. PlasticPads&IronMen (8-5, TONGO) vs. #6. Censored Clowns (7-6, Spaulding)

Though our settings force rosters to be fairly balanced, QBs are still pretty important, so QB matchups are one of the single-biggest factors in the playoffs. And that could be the difference here: Brees has been having a great year, particularly relative to the downturn many thought was coming, but he's also coming off worst came of the year (7 points). He hasn't played Tampa yet this year, but they're below-average against the QB. It's pretty clearly a pretty good matchup.

On the flip side, Andrew Luck has the opposite situation: he's coming off his his second-best total of the year (37+), but faces a very tough Houston pass defense.

TONGO has the edge at all the major positions, in a vacuum (hence his significantly higher point total this year) and I'd say his matchups are slightly better, too. His projection seems to be lower largely because of K and DEF, both of which can be particularly random.

Prediction: TONGO.

#4. The Empire (8-5, Fabulous) vs. #5. Los Pollos Hermanos (7-6, jiraffejustin)

jiraffe's weakened a bit, likely losing A.J. Green for the year. But he'll be trotting Le'Veon Bell and Demaro Murray out at RB, which is one of the few duos you'd put up against Fabulous' Elliott and Booker, though it's an open question whether he'll slot Rawls in there, instead, in a classic risk-reward decision.

With Green, jiraffe would be an exceptionally scary team right now, and he looks tough even without him. He'll be a moderate favorite (to Yahoo, at least) once he slots Murray into his lineup. A lot's going to depend on whether or not guys like Murray, Elliot, and Bell have their usual good games, or one of their really great ones.

Prediction: jiraffe, though any one of those three RBs could win this single-handedly.

The second matchup doesn't have any early players involved. TONGO and Spaulding have Spencer Ware, Amari Cooper, and Tyreek Hill going Thursday.

Congrats playoff squads. See you next year. My only solace in finishing last is I wasn't able to live draft this year. So naturally I blame Yahoo. Good luck guys.

A lot's going to depend on whether or not guys like Murray, Elliot, and Bell have their usual good games, or one of their really great ones.

Prediction: jiraffe, though any one of those three RBs could win this single-handedly.
Yep, this is what's happening. Turns out it's Bell, who's got nearly 40 points already. Probably winning a lot of playoff matches all by himself.

Yeah. Though if you hadn't played this week, and I had, I would've set the record instead. Same might end up being true of Pete.

Browsing the league matchups, it looks like a ton of regular starters had unusually bad days. Just a horrendous week: I'll bet lots of good playoff teams lost.

Damn. Well..............Sigh

This is me saying I want in the baseball league this year. Oh damn its awful but since the score was so low, I weirdly feel less pain from it. Like it was such a complete meltdown to where it never seemed like a contest. Psychologists have a word for it, the latin term for it is LOSER

Tough break to both of you: TONGO for getting randomly slammed with otherwise good players, and Fabulous for putting up an okay total but going up against a huge one (though if it's any consolation, it looks like Bell's huge day won't be the difference). Looks like this is one of those years where the Byes may have mattered.

Looks like next we'll it'll be me vs. Spaulding's Clowns, and Pete's Beantown Champs against jiraffe's Hermanos.

I think its gonna be JJ and Yoda in the final.....and I think JJ is gonna steal the show

Here we go:

11 Angry Men
vs.
Censored Clowns

On paper, I should have a significant advantage, but as Kenny Mayne used to say "games aren't played on paper, they're played by tiny little men inside televisions." And those adorable little TV men with their funny colorful little hats keep doing weird stuff that nobody sees coming.

Both QBs have awful matchups, though Stafford's got a hand injury, to boot (as opposed to a boot injury, to hand). But my two best players--Julio Jones and David Johnson--both have very good ones. Assuming Julio plays, and is effective, that's two elite players with a higher-than-usual chance of winning the matchup on their own.

Spaulding's team is built differently: it's deeper. Like last year, he's worked the waiver hard, and kept a lot of what he's found there. And like last year, that means he's got a lot of players you could make a decent case for as starters. Last week, even in victory, he had plenty of points on the bench. Depth is great during that regular season grind, but it can make for some tough decisions in the playoffs.

Admittedly, this is looking a lot like Sedai's upset last year, in that Spaulding's squad seems built to put up solid totals almost every week, but isn't usually a huge threat to break out (he's averaged ~99 points over the last four weeks, never dipping below 93 or above 112). He probably has a narrower range of outcomes than I do, so this probably comes down to whether or not I come near my projections. If I do, it should be enough.

Prediction: I'll take 11 tickets to MoFo Bowl IX, please.

Beantown Champs
vs.
Los Pollos Hermanos

Pete had a heckuva year...up until Week 12. Heading into that week he was 9-2, riding a seven game winning streak. Not only did he lose the last two, but more importantly, he scored just ~170 points over the two of them. And like me, he would've put up a dismal total this past week if not for the Bye. In other words: he heads into this matchup very cold.

Part of that is his QB situation, which is pretty tenuous. In fact, the guy he's been starting (Tyrod Taylor) might not be starting for Buffalo much longer. But if he does, he might be useful this week, up against Cleveland's awful pass defense.

Both teams have some pretty good matchups, but it's hard to bet against jiraffe running (pun intended) Bell and Murray out there, particularly with the possibility that A.J. Green returns. Those stud lottery tickets are really good to have. Pete has a pretty solid lineup outside of QB, but he's missing those explosive players that are so often the difference.

Prediction: jiraffe returns to the MoFo Bowl.

Thursday games: I've got Gurley, Graham, and Britt playing on Thursday, though I'm probably just starting the first two. Spaulding doesn't have anyone going early.

Pete has two players playing Thursday, (Ausin and Kendricks) but neither figures to start.

Yeah, so, about that prediction? Julio looks fairly likely to miss his second straight game. Ouch. That'd be a huge blow, given the matchup (and given that I have him on both my teams).

I had a lot of WR depth, but Pryor's value seems to have taken a big hit with RGIII starting, so the timing here is particularly bad on multiple fronts.

Help me David Johnson, you're my only hope.

It's Gurley and Graham tonight. Probably won't learn too much unless either of them goes off, or totally bombs. If they both get between 6 and 13 points, the odds probably don't shift much.

Britt's probably sitting on the bench. Even if Julio doesn't play, I'd probably go with Snead or Pryor before him, anyway. I'd be pretty tempted to roll with Britt because I think, based on volume, he's got a higher floor than those two, but I'm thinking that's counteracted by the matchup. At this point, the possibility of a lot of garbage time is the only thing giving me pause.

Well, pretty bad start. Gurley and Graham combined for fewer points than each of them were projected to score individually. Graham came inches away from a TD catch, and Gurley was missed on several pass attempts, one in particular that probably would've been a huge gain. Tons of near-misses.

It's the big day. For two teams in the semifinals, Spaulding and I had a shocking number of tough decisions to make. In his case, that's partially due to the general makeup of his team, but I constructed mine in part to specifically minimize this, and it happened anyway. As usual: Nobody Knows Anything.

Not gonna say it's the most thought I've put into lineup decisions, but it's up there. I think, with Julio out, I'm a moderate underdog, but there are a lot of wild cards today and the range of possible outcomes is way higher than it would normally be this time of year.

Here we go.

Well, late word that Starks was out led to Spaulding swapping Ty Montgomery in. Naturally he scores a short TD early, and then breaks a long run. Given that both of us look to put up modest scores, it's very easy to imagine Starks' concussion being the thing that swings the whole match.

Near halftime, Pryor with two short catches, Watkins with one, Diggs with zero, despite the last two being top 20 plays. What a mess. So far, this week looks a lot like last week, with all sorts of normally reliable players just not doing anything.

Gonna need things to go better in the second half of these games to have a chance.