Feedback Needed: The User Reputation System

Tools    

A novel adaptation.
What's to stop a troll from handing out tons of bad reputation?
I know there are precautions to stop people from doing it en masse, but what about specific targetings?

Not that I've been known to provoke trolls or anything...

there's a frog in my snake oil
Is there any way of seeing more than just the most recent pats-on-head? (or wait, is that all i've got? Damn) And are the individual posts gonna end up with a general rating as well? Come on, stop enjoying yourself Yoda, you've got responsibilities here

I have to say that this new option is really friggin confusing, im not sure what the whole point of it is, is there something good about having reputation points? its sort of weird.

Originally Posted by Naisy
I have to say that this new option is really friggin confusing, im not sure what the whole point of it is, is there something good about having reputation points? its sort of weird.
I can only point you to the previous posts in this thread as to potential uses for the system. The entire first page, more or less, deals with their use (or lack thereof).

Originally Posted by Yoda
I can only point you to the previous posts in this thread as to potential uses for the system. The entire first page, more or less, deals with their use (or lack thereof).
I read it, and i looked at myself and im sitting on the fence of credability, and i know that isnt very good. Im just sort of confused to the need of it.

I have been here since July 11, 2001, have almost 4000 posts, and 12 points of reputation. Now I can tell , it doesn't take a high amount posts to get respect, or be here for a long time neither. How many so-called points does it take to be "respected"? Please someone let me know.

Originally Posted by Naisy
I read it, and i looked at myself and im sitting on the fence of credability, and i know that isnt very good. Im just sort of confused to the need of it.
Actually, being on the "fence of credibility" means you're more or less neutral. On the fence, as opposed to on either side of it (bad or good).

As for the "need" -- technically, there's no need. We got by fine without it before, of course, but I think having a way to quantify community opinion could be beneficial in a host, most of which were detailed earlier.

Originally Posted by jrs
I have been here since July 11, 2001, have almost 4000 posts, and 12 points of reputation. Now I can tell , it doesn't take a high amount posts to get respect, or be here for a long time neither. How many so-called points does it take to be "respected"? Please someone let me know.
Your post count and length of membership do not contribute to your reputation points...just in your ability to give and take reputation to and from other members. Members can only gain reputation from other members -- or perhaps, in the future, from special Admin-issued bonuses for whatever reason (a birthday, maybe, or a particularly useful suggestion on how to improve the site).

For the record, you currently have 14 reputation points (20 gets you to the "is respected" level), and have the ability to give a person 5 points each time you effect them positively. I learned recently, however, that we all lose half our reputation-altering power whenever effecting someone's reputation NEGATIVELY. So, if you can give someone, say, 10 points of reputation each time you approve of their post, you only take 5 when you disapprove. I assume this is another safeguard against abuse.

Question -- If we have already given someone rep points on a particular post, will the system let you give points on the same post again later on? I have a fairly good memory but once in a while I forget if I’ve already given points to a post or not…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Put me in your pocket...
Yoda....is there a way to see the members we've already given points to?

I wanted to give a partcular member more love points for an older post....but I wasn't sure if it was a post I had already acknowledged.

Edit: Cait...You beat me to it.

there's a frog in my snake oil
let me be the wise-green-one for a moment (hold on, i'll have to kneel )

You can just try to click it, and if you've already nominated it it won't let you do it twice. Tada. I feel so knowledgable i might start saying things backwards. Wise feeling am i.

Thanks Golgot… I just checked a post I knew I had given a rep point on and got a little message I had already given them some goodies points… glad to know the system’s memory is better then mine…

Originally Posted by Golgot
let me be the wise-green-one for a moment (hold on, i'll have to kneel )

You can just try to click it, and if you've already nominated it it won't let you do it twice. Tada.
The truth he speaks. Mm.

Originally Posted by Golgot
I feel so knowledgable i might start saying things backwards. Wise feeling am i.
Dyslexia is the first step towards enlightenment.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Yoda, maybe you've already fielded this question, but Kong didn't see it, what are the different reputation levels?

0-19 = Sitting on the fence of credibility.
20-? = Respected
and then what?....

Put me in your pocket...
Thanks Golgot and Yoda.

Kong.....I found Yoda's list for you.

Okay, the system is now active. As it stands...
  • You get one point of reputation-altering power for every 365 days since your registration.
  • You get one point of reputation-altering power for every 1,000 posts to your name.
  • You get one point of reputation-altering power for every 100 reputation points you have.
The rankings are as follows:
  • 500 points produces: "is highly revered."
  • 250 points produces: "is very popular"
  • 100 points produces: "is well-respected"
  • 50 points produces: "is well thought of"
  • 20 points produces: "is respected"
  • 0 points produces: "is sitting on the fence of credibility"
  • -20 points produces: "is not respected"
  • -50 points produces: "is disliked"
  • -100 points produces: "is despised"
Feel free to offer up any suggestions...I'm open to changing these settings and/or descriptions.

Originally Posted by Kong
Yoda, maybe you've already fielded this question, but Kong didn't see it, what are the different reputation levels?

0-19 = Sitting on the fence of credibility.
20-? = Respected
and then what?....
Annie ought to be right, as those are indeed the rankings I posted, but I've since changed them. My bad for not posting the updated list until now.
  • 200 points: "is highly revered"
  • 100 points: "is quite popular"
  • 50 points: "is well thought of"
  • 20 points: "is respected"
  • 0 points: "is sitting on the fence of credibility"
  • -20 points: "is not respected"
  • -50 points: "is disliked"
  • -100 points: "is strongly disliked"
  • -200 points: "is despised"
  • -500 points: "is utterly loathed"
Note: the way your status is determined can be a tad confusing. Once you're in negative territory, it defaults to the next-highest level. So someone with 15 points would still have the "sitting on the fence of credibility" status, but someone with -15 points would be listed as "not respected."

It was beauty killed the beast.
Annie ought to be right, as those are indeed the rankings I posted, but I've since changed them. My bad for not posting the updated list until now.
  • 200 points: "is highly revered"
  • 100 points: "is quite popular"
  • 50 points: "is well thought of"
  • 20 points: "is respected"
  • 0 points: "is sitting on the fence of credibility"
  • -20 points: "is not respected"
  • -50 points: "is disliked"
  • -100 points: "is strongly disliked"
  • -200 points: "is despised"
  • -500 points: "is utterly loathed"
Note: the way your status is determined can be a tad confusing. Once you're in negative territory, it defaults to the next-highest level. So someone with 15 points would still have the "sitting on the fence of credibility" status, but someone with -15 points would be listed as "not respected."
At some point people are going to bust 200 points. Do you plan on adding higher levels when that time comes? Maybe, to make a challenge for those posters, you could set it up to be circular and when someone breaks 200 they can restart from the very bottom (-500) and have to work their way back up. It might be fun...

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Originally Posted by Kong
At some point people are going to bust 200 points. Do you plan on adding higher levels when that time comes? Maybe, to make a challenge for those posters, you could set it up to be circular and when someone breaks 200 they can restart from the very bottom (-500) and have to work their way back up. It might be fun...
But then where is the pot of gold at the end of the rai....wrong analogy.....

Anyway, I'm all for adding new levels. Instead of making it circular though, why not make the top level something insanely difficult to reach. Therefore, it is more of a challenge....and everyone will . Just a thought.....

This actually seems like a lot of fun, although I don't see where I look in my control panel to check. Probably because I haven't been rated at all yet. Do they come in your private message box or what?

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by DarkRainAngel
This actually seems like a lot of fun, although I don't see where I look in my control panel to check. Probably because I haven't been rated at all yet. Do they come in your private message box or what?
Look at the extreme top of the page. Below the News icon is the User CP link. Click it! Newbie.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

hahaha now that I have feedback I can see it, thanks guys!