MoFo Fantasy Baseball '15 - The Regular Season

Tools    

Ill do a draft retrospect at end, but I gotsta talk about my team!

C Devin Mesoraco. Best slugging catcher. Hurt last year but still finished #3 overall.

1B Albert Pujols. He was hurt last year and still was a top 6 1B.

2B Dustin Pedroia. He was hurt in 2014 too, but when healthy may be the #1 2B in baseball.

3B Chris Davis. He was hurt last.....yknow there seeems to be a pattern. Well he was hurt, and if he stays healthy he could be scary.

SS Troy Tulowiotzki. He was....yeah...

OF Michael Cuddyer. ........Ill type something different when theres something new to say....

OF Joc Pederson. Hey hey! He's finally up now, was as touted as Polanco, and is the starting CF for Dodgers.

OF Nelson Cruz. Please stay healthy

Napoli, Dyson, Oswaldo Arcia, and Rajal Davis make my UT and Bench. Really want to slot in Dyson whenever he plays as his BA is solid and he steals bags like the speediest full timers.

The pitching, if Im right, is more solid...

SP Felix Hernandez. Can't believe I got him. In all the mocks I did I would purposefully ignore Felix and Kershaw knowing Mark and PW would snatch them up on draft day.

SP Johnny Cueto. Even hurt he almost won Cy Young.

RP Craig Kimbrel. The best.

RP Cody Allen. Pretty darn good.

P Tony Watson & Bryan Shaw will be my Hold guys. Both projected to be top 5 Holds pitchers. As soon as I saw Wade Davis go off the board it was my cue to snatch them up.

SP Doug Fister. Badness. Badness in action.

SP Lance Lynn. Solid.

SP Michael Pineda and James Paxton. I had both last year waiting for them to heal. In all honesty I should have drafted someone different than these two, but I just had to reap the rewards for last years long wait. Stay healthy everybody!

In retrospect I messed up and shouldnt have drafted high on closers or holds. This will be last time, but I hope to just run with those 4 going forward.. I also messed up drafting Jose Reyes, but the trade with Chris's Nelson Cruz fixed that. That first round I was floored that Encarnacion wasnt available, and I hope I dont regret getting Felix instead of Rizzo. Yeah that sounds silly, but Rizzos young and may stay healthier longer. Getting Tulowitzki, that was a no brainer, and not getting Evan Longoria just plain sucked.

A system of cells interlinked
I put less focus on pitching in the draft this year, as I am sure some folks noticed. I didn't open my pitcher sheet until the start of round 4, because I wanted the first three rounds to go to 4 or 5-tool offense people. Not sure Harper qualifies in the third, but I have a good feeling about him this year. I didn't think about relief until at least round 10, and had actually planned on holding off until 11. I did grab a couple of SP along the way in the middle rounds, but mostly focused on abusing counting stats and the OBP metric.

I will preface this by stating that I have pretty much no clue, this is my first 6x6 ever, but from what I read about the format and drafting approach in OBP 6x6, guys like Victor Martinez fell pretty far. V-Mart has a .335 BA, 32 HR, 103 RBI, and an OBP of .409. He slugs .565!

Is that not good? Am I misunderstanding the format? I kept feeling like I was getting great deals as I drafted...

Is this chart wrong?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...-leaders.shtml

Or rather - am I misunderstanding it?

RE: Encarnacion - He's a first rounder (10th) in 5x5, and in 6x6, he only moves up (to around 4-6). No way he was making it to twelve in 6x6...

You're understanding it just fine. Martinez went late because:

1) He's 36.
2) He's recovering from surgery.
3) He hit 30 points above his career average last year, which probably isn't going to happen again.

He's also only eligible at 1B this year. If he were eligible at C again he'd have gone a lot higher.

You might have still gotten good value from the pick, however. Especially if his age and injury don't end up being factors.

Yeah, I completely see why he would drift down to say round 4 in 6x6 (even though I see him ranked higher on 6x6 rankings pretty consistently), and I was passing on him in 4-5 simply because he was a 1B. After a while though, I just couldn't pass up on all that power. I am hoping to get 24 HR/80 RBI, as I doubt he will pop up over 30 again this season. OBP of .380+ would be nice to.

Meanwhile: Really happy with my bats this season, more so than any season. My pitching has some question marks, but still looks decent to start April with.

Couple things that have never happened to me before. I have no Tampa Bay Ray players on my roster, and I'm #1 in Waiver position. Hm. Well Im not gonna throw it away, but will probably end up using it if/when someone does a bad drop. Waivers dont seem to be as critical in baseball as they are in football.

Wow and did I blow it big time on drafting even mid rounds for Holds. Theres a bunch of Holds earrners on waivers just waiting to be nabbed. Stupid Holds.

Always wanted to learn how to play fantasy sports - is it possible to do it without watching all of the regular season games?

Yeah. The Yahoo site calculates the players for you, so its not like you have to watch the games, but that is the fun part. Football is a much easier sport to enter fantasy sports into. I may be wrong but I think baseballs supposed to be the hardest, most technical.

I love my team as usual, so I may be near the bottom again. Frownie face. Feels kinda weird not having Felix on my team,. Think I've had him for like 4 years in a row? Somthin like that.

I guess I'm punting holds....forgot all about that
I tried punting a category for the first time last year, saves. I had read a couple guys online that have done it. Big mistake that helped land me in the basement. You shouldn't have a hard time rectifying punting holds in the draft. I almost did and figured I would comb the wire later. Decided to go for a couple guys late they should help me with Ks as well but I don't think it should be a problem for you. I said all that to say, don't punt brother, it will frustrate you all year.

I guess I'm punting holds....forgot all about that
I never think that punting is advisable, but it's more okay now given that we're playing with more categories. That said, I think it's pretty easy to make moves as the season goes on to be respectable in holds. The top holds guys are pretty valuable, but there's a bigger pool of guys who will be in the mix for holds than the corresponding saves pool.

Yeah, there's "punting" during the draft, and "punting" for the season. I punt lots of things during the draft, with the expectation that I'll be able to achieve respectable totals anyway by season's end.

How viable really punting all year is depends on league settings. But it's probably more viable now, with two more categories.

Surprised to see Dallas Keuchel wasnt drafted, and decided to run with him over Paxton. Dallas is Houstons #1 guy (that sounds weird), and I already have Seattles #1 guy in Felix. Im sure Chris H will nab Pax.

April 6th seems so far off. Two and a half weeks!!

Keuchels no joke! He pitched 200 innings last season with a 2.93 Era and a 1.18 Whip. That pays the bills. Also I believe Astros will do better than in 2014 and this time he'll get more than 12 Wins.

Keuchel was pretty good last year, but his real-life value exceeds his fantasy value, I think. He doesn't really strike many batters out, not by 2010's standards, and 10ish wins/200 IP isn't great either, so you basically have to hope he goes out and only gives up a run on three hits or something.

Looks like Gregerson gets the call at Closer in Houston. I snagged him super late for some holds, but I will take the saves...