Neill Blomkamp to direct Alien sequel (Alien: Covenant)

Tools    

As for ignoring Alien3 and Resurrection? Here's how my lazy writing bum would do it...

The movie takes place some years after the events of Aliens. Both Ripley and Newt (who is now an adult) have been having recurring nightmares, some of which may have taken place in hypersleep. Insert new story complete with Hicks, here.

Sorted

Blomkamp's a talented guy but the window of opportunity has passed. Leave it alone please.

That guy with the Alien avatar.
Well, they could have it set between 3 and Res.

The early cloning of Ripley's DNA... which leads to Res.
Then you run into the problem of "why were they running tests on her in the first place if she could have been walking around fine?," and they were planning on killing her immediately after removing the embryo. Resurrection had a good story, but that's where it ends.

Blomkamp's a talented guy but the window of opportunity has passed. Leave it alone please.
I'm . . . not sure what you're getting at here.

In terms of quality the Alien franchise has been one of diminishing returns for some time. Blomkamp's hypothetical concept art has Ripley and Hicks together in one image. The time for that story to get made was back in the early nineties when they were both still young enough for the roles, i.e. the window of opportunity has passed and I'd rather not see another installment with any of those characters.

I like Prometheus a lot (more with each subsequent viewing). That's the way to take the universe in my opinion. Then again Blomkamp is a good filmmaker and if he can deliver something approaching the quality of the first two Alien movies; I'd love to eat humble pie.

In terms of quality the Alien franchise has been one of diminishing returns for some time. Blomkamp's hypothetical concept art has Ripley and Hicks together in one image. The time for that story to get made was back in the early nineties when they were both still young enough for the roles, i.e. the window of opportunity has passed and I'd rather not see another installment with any of those characters.

I like Prometheus a lot (more with each subsequent viewing). That's the way to take the universe in my opinion. Then again Blomkamp is a good filmmaker and if he can deliver something approaching the quality of the first two Alien movies; I'd love to eat humble pie.
I see what you're saying, but I do still believe in movie magic, per se.

As long as it doesn't go all Resident Evil with cloning... and doesn't turn into Dallas with having Alien 3 and Resurrection some kind of dream.

I love Alien 3 more than Alien and Aliens... hate Resurrection though, so I wouldn't be bothered if Res was treated like the AvP films and discarded as part of the in-movie cannon.

They'd better not step on Alien 3. It's a better film than people give it credit for. The extended cut is awesome.

As long as it doesn't go all Resident Evil with cloning... and doesn't turn into Dallas with having Alien 3 and Resurrection some kind of dream.

I love Alien 3 more than Alien and Aliens... hate Resurrection though, so I wouldn't be bothered if Res was treated like the AvP films and discarded as part of the in-movie cannon.

They'd better not step on Alien 3. It's a better film than people give it credit for. The extended cut is awesome.
It truly is. I think it best captures the creature itself, and does well with not relying too heavily on hiding it, and making you actually believe this thing is a living, breathing, snarling, real animal out to f**k your world up (literally)! Ending - perfect. Score - perfect. I wouldn't mind seeing Elliot Goldenthal back for Alien 5/Alien Horizon.

Oi Rodent! Don't disrespect my Alien 5: The Awakening premise

You and Sedai should start an Alien 3 appreciation thread. In the meantime try to visualise me trampling all over the DVD case whilst laughing maniacally.

A system of cells interlinked
Well, that's a shame, because Alien 3 (Fincher Assembly Cut) is a damn good movie. However, the theater cut is terrible, and that's what most people have seen, so I can totally understand it. Resurrection was crap.

Well, that's a shame, because Alien 3 (Fincher Assembly Cut) is a damn good movie. However, the theater cut is terrible, and that's what most people have seen, so I can totally understand it. Resurrection was crap.
I've seen every cut of every Alien film. I think though Blomkamp wants to stay true to Cameron's vision of the saga and the first film.

I'll not comment on what others are think, as it's impossible for me to know. Also, Cameron's saga? Cameron was one and done with the second film, with only Ridley Scott returning to the franchise to do another film eventually. If it's anyone's saga, it's his.

Cameron's film, according to his own words, is a Vietnam allegory, and he never had any larger designs on the universe. Scott clearly wants to enrich and expand it, and already has.

Cameron's saga? Cameron was one and done with the second film, with only Ridley Scott returning to the franchise to do another film eventually. If it's anyone's saga, it's his.

Cameron's film, according to his own words, is a Vietnam allegory, and he never had any larger designs on the universe. Scott clearly wants to enrich and expand it, and already has.
I never said "Cameron's saga" I said...

Originally Posted by Jrs
I think though Blomkamp wants to stay true to Cameron's vision of the saga
Obviously meaning the film Aliens. I never even mentioned James Cameron as being involved in the "entire" Alien franchise.

If you just meant Cameron's vision for Aliens, wtf wouldn't you just say Aliens, instead of saga, which would infer you were talking about the...

wait for it...

ALIENS SAGA.

And as stated - his vision was simply to create an Allegory for the Vietnam war and then move on from the series, just like he says. I presume you watched the extras on Aliens? Of course you did - your JRS, after all - you love extra content!

Sorry if I worded my statement in a confusing way.

What did you think of the Assembly Cut of A3, anyway?

I thought the AC was much better than the original cut. I watch that instead of the theatrical version when I rewatch Alien 3. To me the theatrical version doesn't do the film justice. David Fincher is an amazing filmmaker and this is truly what his film should have been. It is a significantly differently version than that of the theatrically version and tremendously better one.

Speaking of Blomkamp's film...here's a gif I made.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I liked Alien I thought it was ok, but I loved Aliens. Alien 3 and Res were both terrible. Prometheus was very interesting and I quite enjoyed it.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

I just stopped watching, after "Aliens", cause the later sequels stank so bad according to critics.I do that, when a sequel is badly reviewed; why waste my time on it?Yes, District 9 was very good. So why does it have to be an Alien movie? That director is better than that, let him do a completely different film!.
Attached Images