Donald Trump for President?

Tools    

This is exactly why I voted for Donald Trump....... here we have a liberal, yet again, telling me how I'm supposed to be behave. How I'm supposed to think and feel.
Although I didn't write that to provoke that reaction, I was thinking of adding that this is the kind of thing which gets people running to Trump. Over here we have an EU referendum later in the year and the 'Remain' people are scared stiff that the anti-establishment feeling in the country will go this way and vote 'Leave' because it's not what's wanted by the establishment.

You'll also note that, in that post, I said that you should vote for the candidate with the policies you agree (the most) with.

so you think Bernie is losing mainly cause he looks old af?
I don't know if he is, but it's almost certainly a factor as SC has already demonstrated. This is nothing new, though.

He's too old. I think if he was younger -- 40's, 50's -- he'd have a great shot at beating Hillary. A great shot. But he's pushing 80. If he was younger, he'd be more hip and cool and DEPENDABLE. It would be like Hillary vs. Bill Clinton back in the '90s. But now, Hillary is the younger of the two.
I can see that, but if he was, he'd be like all the others.

Well, even if I had voted for the Bern, he still lost. My vote wouldn't have changed that. I'd be fine with him as President. But I went with Trump and Trump won. I can say I voted for Donald Trump and I like that. I'd be a little pissier right now if I had wasted a vote on Bernie Sanders. I'm sure it wouldn't have been exactly "wasted" but.... watching Donald Trump last night speaking at a press conference about his wins was definitely more fulfilling after having voted for him.

My decision to not for Bernie wasn't entirely - or even largely - about his age/looks/whatever. It was because of Trump.

Although I didn't write that to provoke that reaction, I was thinking of adding that this is the kind of thing which gets people running to Trump.
There's a thing all groups do, I think (though I will say I think conservatives lately have done it more than their liberal counterparts), where they start to like ideas or politicians simply because they're hated by the right people. I think that's what's going on with Trump. It's pretty hard to coherently defend the man himself, but for someone who wants to protest political correctness you could hardly construct a more fitting candidate.

Remember Yoda's description of the Dark Side? Quicker, easier, more seductive. That's political anger. It's easier to say "screw it, I'm just going to vote for [the other side's] worst nightmare." It's harder to slog on and keep supporting the ideas you think are better, keep trying to persuade others of them with positivity. To win the argument and not just the election. But that's what has to be done. That's what wins in the long run. And it's the right thing to do, besides.

I really honestly don't even believe (of course I would be saying this) Donald Trump's the absolute worst candidate and certainly not the worst Republican possibility -- that would be Ted Cruz, in my opinion. I think Ted Cruz is probably the real nightmare. But Trump? Not really that bad of a guy. Kinda like a Democrat, really, I think. That's why certain Republicans don't like him.

I really honestly don't even believe (of course I would be saying this) Donald Trump's the absolute worst candidate and certainly not the worst Republican possibility -- that would be Ted Cruz, in my opinion. I think Ted Cruz is probably the real nightmare. But Trump? Not really that bad of a guy. Kinda like a Democrat, really, I think. That's why certain Republicans don't like him.
I certainly think there's a lot to what you're saying here, SC. From what little I know of Cruz, there's nothing there which would appeal to me at all and, were I to have a conversation with him and Trump, I'd probably agree more often with Trump than with Cruz. However, if Cruz got the nomination, I'd have a far better idea (after reading up on him) what policies I'd be voting for/against and, again from what little I know, I already have a good idea what to expect.

With Trump I have no idea what he'd actually want to do. Really, I mean. Not soundbites about walls and the like. While it does sound like a good idea to say "**** it all" and vote for someone like Trump (by which I mean a non-professional politician) he has no idea about the machinery of government. Again, that might sound really appealing, but I fear that it means nothing will get done or, more worryingly IMO, that he's maneuvered into situations that he's not really well appraised of. Something I feel has already happened once this century in the US.

If it was simply down to personalities, then I'd just not vote because there isn't even a decent choice there, let alone a good one and I include Hilary in that.

Trump is funny. None of the other candidates are funny. Trump is the only one you would want to have a beer with.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
i'd shove the beer right in his orange face. on St. Paddy's Day, so it'd be green beer. he'd look like an oompa loompa.

He's not funny, he's outrageous. The laugh comes from watching him say things people in his position don't usually say. It's boring by any other standard.

Where he goes too far is talking about killing the families of terrorists and doing tortures far worse than waterboarding. But I don't recall Cruz or Rubio criticizing him for that. On most other things he just takes it a step further than the other GOP candidates. They all want to build a wall, but Trump says he is going to make Mexico pay for it. Cruz is now trying to outdo Trump on shipping all the illegals back. They all want to keep Muslim Syrian refugees out of the country. Trump wants to keep all Muslims out. Which is actually more logical. Potential terrorists don't just come from Syria. That lady was from Pakistan and (I think) Saudi Arabia.

mofo political threads tend to make me lose my faith in humanity, but i guess i'll state my opinion in here anyway.

bernie is by far my favorite candidate running but i understand that at this point he has basically zero chance so i guess i have to support hillary, who i don't really like but she's miles better than anybody else. she's made so many unforced errors in her campaign and her record is way too conservative but at this point she's running for obama's third term, which i'm fine with, as long as it keeps the GOP from undoing the progress that's been made. can't stand the people that are too hardcore either candidate and refuse to support the other if their's loses.

on the other side, trump is obviously despicable but i think he's slightly better than cruz and carson. he's inadvertently supported a few liberal policies along the way, and ted cruz is basically pure evil and carson doesn't know where he is. cruz is just better at disguising his racism and xenophobia, and he's like a million times more unpleasant and less fun than trump. kasich and rubio might be able to leave the country in one piece when they leave office, but they still suck a lot.

http://washingtonspectator.org/sande...crats-dilemma/
this is a great article about the democratic side by rick perlstein.
criticker

mofo political threads tend to make me lose my faith in humanity, but i guess i'll state my opinion in here anyway.

bernie is by far my favorite candidate running but i understand that at this point he has basically zero chance so i guess i have to support hillary, who i don't really like but she's miles better than anybody else. she's made so many unforced errors in her campaign and her record is way too conservative but at this point she's running for obama's third term, which i'm fine with, as long as it keeps the GOP from undoing the progress that's been made. can't stand the people that are too hardcore either candidate and refuse to support the other if their's loses.

on the other side, trump is obviously despicable but i think he's slightly better than cruz and carson. he's inadvertently supported a few liberal policies along the way, and ted cruz is basically pure evil and carson doesn't know where he is. cruz is just better at disguising his racism and xenophobia, and he's like a million times more unpleasant and less fun than trump. kasich and rubio might be able to leave the country in one piece when they leave office, but they still suck a lot.

http://washingtonspectator.org/sande...crats-dilemma/
this is a great article about the democratic side by rick perlstein.
What liberal policies has Trump inadvertently supported?

He's not funny, he's outrageous. The laugh comes from watching him say things people in his position don't usually say. It's boring by any other standard.
I agree, I think it's hilarious to hear what he has to say but that's because outside of idiots going "oooo yeah that's a good idea" he has no real power. Should he say those exact same things as a President I would be horrified.

Would you all be okay with a little person being President of the United States?

Or -- to you Trump fans without any political correctness -- I mean midgets, dwarfs, that kind of thing.

I just caught some of the movie Foul Play on TV (1978, with Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn) and there was a little person in the movie and it made me think up this question. Serious question.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	littleperson.JPG
Views:	686
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	24440  

I agree, I think it's hilarious to hear what he has to say but that's because outside of idiots going "oooo yeah that's a good idea" he has no real power. Should he say those exact same things as a President I would be horrified.
Exactly my thinking. I might agree with some of Trump's stances on major issues, (when he takes a position), but I'd be scared to think what would happen if he was President and smarted off to Putin.

Seriously that could easily happen and Putin is not a man to laugh it off. The Russians historical have tested weak US presidents by taking provocative actions, literally drawing a line in the sand and saying I dare the US too. Trump's big mouth and need for attention could easily get him and the US in deep trouble.

Exactly my thinking. I might agree with some of Trump's stances on major issues, (when he takes a position), but I'd be scared to think what would happen if he was President and smarted off to Putin.
But I bet you would love to see it. At least from the safety of a Martian base on Mars.

Seriously that could easily happen and Putin is not a man to laugh it off. The Russians historical have tested weak US presidents by taking provocative actions, literally drawing a line in the sand and saying I dare the US too. Trump's big mouth and need for attention could easily get him and the US in deep trouble.

Not going to happen. Trump has praised Putin. He doesn't criticize him. Trump admires Putin. He has defended him. Trump talks tough, but he is an isolationist. The guy Putin would more likely challenge is Rubio. Do you want to live through that face-off? Think Cuban Missile Crisis. Do you think Rubio would have been the steady hand Kennedy was in a situation like that?