The Decade So Far: My 51 Favorite Movies from 2010-16

→ in
Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
My main issue with Civil War: too many characters. I know that sounds weird but I do think the movie could be improved by containing the conflict. If it was just Steve, Tony and Bucky, I think, the climax would have more weight. It would help to feel more personal.

But, yeah, the airport scene was cool, though inconsequential.

Animal Kingdom is fantastic. I don't know if anyone else got a somnambulistic feel to it, I thought it made the overall product kind of mesmerizing.

John Wick is awesome. Plain and simple.

I'm off to see La La Land later today!

31. Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)

An awesome spy movie that is very strong in both action and comedy. That church scene is insane!

30. Take Shelter (2011)

An amazing psychological thriller about a man having visions of a cataclysmic supernatural storm. Great atmosphere and acting by the lead cast.

29. '71 (2014)

A terrific British film about a young soldier witnessing terrible events unfold during a riot in Belfast during, you guessed it, 1971.

28. Green Room (2015)

A very tense, shocking, and brutal film. One of the best thrillers of the decade for sure. RIP Anton Yelchin.

Take Shelter is great. It's probably in my top twenty of the decade, i'm still that one weirdo who's favourite Nichols film is Shotgun Stories though . Not a fan of Green Room and haven't seen the others.

'71 and Green Room were both pretty good, both a solid
to me. I wasn't a fan of Kingsman, it tried a little too hard for me with it's humor, and overall "coolness" personally, but hey, I'd be up for a sequel if they did it right. It still had some solid action scenes.

Good list so far.

i'm still that one weirdo who's favourite Nichols film is Shotgun Stories though

Take Shelter is great. It's probably in my top twenty of the decade, i'm still that one weirdo who's favourite Nichols film is Shotgun Stories though . Not a fan of Green Room and haven't seen the others.
Never seen Shotgun Stories but it does sound interesting!

This might just do nobody any good.
Kingsmen came off as juvenile to me. Edgerton is good, though. Guy's got "next big thing" material.

Take Shelter is very good. Funny, I dont really hear much about Shannon and Chastain's performances by they're both great in it. Nichol's is very good at authenticity.

Haven't seen '71. I didn't really take to Green Room but I liked Blue Ruin (Saulnier's previous). Yelchin was good, as was Stewart but Imogen Poots was the standout to me. Keep an eye on her, I think she's on her way to the big leagues.

A lot of movies I don't like, a few I like, and a few I love.

Nevertheless, I always appreciate threads like this and it's always fun to follow top or favorite-anything lists! Looking forward to more, as always.

Care for some gopher?
I've seen Kingsman which was ok to good and Take Shelter which was frickin' awesome! Jeff Nichols is such a great director!

A lot of movies I don't like, a few I like, and a few I love.

Nevertheless, I always appreciate threads like this and it's always fun to follow top or favorite-anything lists! Looking forward to more, as always.
Glad to have you on board MM!

I'm really surprised that quite a few of you didn't like Green Room that much. Obviously, I thought it was pretty friggin good!

It seems to me that, on this forum at least, it's the big horror fans who are not in love with Green Room. I thought it was ok, but as someone who watches a lot of horror, I didn't see anything about it that stood out.

It seems to me that, on this forum at least, it's the big horror fans who are not in love with Green Room. I thought it was ok, but as someone who watches a lot of horror, I didn't see anything about it that stood out.
I really don't see it as a horror movie though, of course horror and thriller are very similar genres that can be blurred quite often, but I consider it a very intense thriller.

Still need to see Take Shelter. Great list so far FW!
Thank you Nope!

Yea, a thriller sure, I wouldn't argue that. It's one of those movies that's on the line. You see, I was pretty hyped for it because I kept hearing how brutal it was, but I usually see something more brutal than that every week. I liked it a little and it's certainly well made. I loved Blue Ruin.

Yea, a thriller sure, I wouldn't argue that. It's one of those movies that's on the line. You see, I was pretty hyped for it because I kept hearing how brutal it was, but I usually see something more brutal than that every week. I liked it a little and it's certainly well made. I loved Blue Ruin.
Yeah, same. I heard it was really brutal so when I watched it I was shocked by how little brutality there was. That wouldn't matter to me if the movie was good otherwise (I love a good gore flick but I love a good non-gory flick too), just that I was expecting something different. I think the movie is certainly well-crafted in terms of direction but I didn't think the script was very great and I think that's what killed it for me. I'm a big Yelchin fan, so I wanted to like it. I just think it's a little overrated in terms of how well-done it is. Another case where hype does more of a disservice to a film than anything else.