That damned Electorial College

Tools    

Say these words out loud, then look at this map of campaign visits in 2016:

Say those words again.

This isn't big states versus small states, it's swing states vs non swing states.

Also, "equal say by states" seems to imply the senate should elect the president (or electors are based only on senate seats). That already doesn't happen?

Or, even better, maybe say these words:
You should read what I said again, I said it SHOULD be like that, not that it IS like that. Of course it's not perfect the way it is now. I was just strictly talking about the popular vote.

You should read what I said again, I said it SHOULD be like that, not that it IS like that. Of course it's not perfect the way it is now. I was just strictly talking about the popular vote.
I read what you wrote, but the popular vote improves upon interstate parity. I'm not rallying for perfection, I'm rallying for improvement.

By the way, this also applies to other electoral college reforms, like giving out a state's electors proportionally to the margins each candidate got in that state. That would still violate the basic idea of votes being equal (because less populous states would have slightly more valuable votes) but honestly, I'd take it either as a stepping stone or just an honest improvement over the current system.

I'm actually unsure if the 2016 results would be different if that sort of system was in place, I'm curious if anyone has sat down to do that math. It'd be pretty damn close I think.

i love everything slappydavis is saying itt and it is also worth noting that the electoral college was created to benefit slaveholders.

http://atlantablackstar.com/2016/11/...igins-slavery/
criticker

1) That quote is more related to political parties and people dividing themselves into factions (it's kind of grey, parties weren't as strong back then). It has nothing to do with the electoral college, and everything to do with representative government vs direct democracy. Which, possibly could be related if we actually elected electors to vote for us, and not bind them to the popular vote directly. However electors are pretty much bound, and if the electors had defected from their state vote to prevent Trump from winning, I'd be upset with them.

(Unrelated to your point, Madison was wrong about party's longevity in Fed 10. Madison argued that as the country grew, parties wouldn't be able maintain their strength as there'd be too many specific/regional interests. Not that I blame him, just have to be mindful that founders got a lot wrong.)

2) I am glad you changed your claim from "Under NPV, Democratic urban concentration = one party totalitarian rule" to "Under NPV, Democratic urban concentration = Significant Democratic advantage". Which, I don't think is true anyway, but even my only effect is improving arguments, I'm happy.

3) You seem to be saying that in elections where you have a popular vote and the majority of people are urbanized, then you only need to campaign in those urban areas. But that happens under EC.

Take a look at this chart to see which states are relatively urban and which states are relatively rural.

So let's say that you believe that the electoral college incentivizes campaigning in rural states. Well let's test that theory. Look at the 10 most relatively rural states and cross reference it with the campaigning map:

Maine got 3, which is pretty good. Because it was lucky enough to be somewhat of a swing state (and it splits their electoral votes) . Mississippi got 1. And of the other 8 states with relatively high rural populations (Vermont, Vest Virginia, Montana, Arkansas, South Dakota, Kentucky, Alabama, North Dakota), they got zero. So out of 399 events, the ten most rural states got only 4, or one percent. This happened under EC, not NPV.

The combined population of those states is about 21 million. About 6.5% of the total population. They should have gotten about 6 times more attention than they did.

Also, let's consider the states that did get the most campaign attention. Let's not forget that the states have popular votes to decide their winner. So if your premise is that popular vote elections are dominated by urban/democrat interests if the population is urbanized, how did Pennsylvania go red when it has about a 79% urban population and the US has an 80% urban population? Or Florida with a 91% urban population?

Your premise does not function. Republicans still win urbanized states, and Republicans can still win urbanized national elections. And the electoral college does not promote rural voters, it promotes swing state voters.

4) Here's the basic point. The states that do benefit from the EC are swing states. No doubt about it. So if you want to argue that the EC is better than NPV, you must argue why swing state voters deserve more relative power than non-swing state voters. Why don't Texans and Californians deserve presidential attention? Democrats in Texas and Republicans currently do not matter under EC, but they would matter just as much as everyone else under NPV.

Why should some votes matter more than others?
I changed nothing. The Dems would have the advantage in urban areas. Removing the electoral college will give them their shot at one part rule by placating their urban base. Only thing I expanded upon was they needed more then just those three cities which I guess would not .

As for your main point "why should some people's votes matter more?" They don't. Everyone gets a single vote. And each vote does matter. A state like New York votes Democrat consistently. And the reason it does so is because you have a high population of democrats, especially in the urban giant of NYC. But if everyone there stays home and does not make it to the polls, that might change. Because even though they may not say campaign hard in a state like California for democrats or Texas for Republicans, they will still come out and campaign there regardless. Trump came to Texas and spoke, held an event, and left. Hilary was all the place too in liberal states as well. Just because certain battleground states get campaigned at more does not mean that every other vote is not important or somehow less so.

Top it off swing states and battle ground states fluctuate. Michigan was a very key battle ground state this election. Problem is it has not been won by a Republican since Ronald Reagan. And the early polling had Michigan going to Hilary easy early on. Trump and his team however campaigned hard in the area and was able to win the states. But in 2000, 04, and 08 they were slam dunks for the Democrats. Georgia was actually a battle ground state this year when it is usually a solid red state. It is not true that all swing states are swing states every election (unless your Florida). But even then you still need to appeal to the core states your party has.

Just because a few extra campaigns are held in one state does not mean the other votes in other states are less important.

I changed nothing. The Dems would have the advantage in urban areas. Removing the electoral college will give them their shot at one part rule by placating their urban base. Only thing I expanded upon was they needed more then just those three cities which I guess would not .
I'm honestly curious how you could believe that, so it's possible we are talking about different things. So let me ask you this, are you saying the Republicans are incapable of winning a national popular vote when they've done exactly that for 8 of the last 20 presidential elections? I think you believe the Republican party is much weaker than it really is (or you believe the Democrats are stronger than they really are).

I mean, even just look at this election, even if Clinton won the popular vote it wasn't exactly by a landslide; it was pretty damn close. Trump very well may have been able to win the election under popular vote rules (since they'd campaign differently), and again, I'm not trying to change the outcome of the election. I think the other system is more fair. Honestly if the Republicans fielded Rubio I feel like they would have easily won both the popular vote and electoral college.

As for your main point "why should some people's votes matter more?" They don't. Everyone gets a single vote. And each vote does matter.
Each vote does matter, and even while I dislike the electoral college there will ALWAYS be very important issues to vote on that everyone vote will matter equally (e.g. there was a local measure in my town that failed to reach super majority by 11 votes, and that'll impact the people here more than a lot of things Trump will do). But saying they are currently equal under the electoral college just isn't true, and campaign strategies show it.

I get your point that Dems still have to vote in California to win the state, and while I think everyone should vote even if it's for the symbolic participation in democracy, the electoral college skews the campaign towards arbitrary regional interests; which has actual consequences (not just principle violating inequality).

For example, coal. We heard a lot about coal, Clinton's infamous piece about putting coal out of business, Trump's insistence on bringing coal back. But coal didn't deserve that kind of attention, because government isn't putting coal out of business, the market is. Natural Gas is cheaper, less polluting, and more usable than coal. Even "coal country" acknowledges this. Clinton wouldn't have to do anything, because as long as natural gas is still booming, coal is doomed. Trump can't bring back coal unless he props coal up or brings natural gas down.

But that's not what the specific swing region wanted to hear. So instead the national conversation was skewed so that voters in those specific states were placated instead.

This happened because their votes were more valuable, and that's why they received more campaign attention.

Because even though they may not say campaign hard in a state like California for democrats or Texas for Republicans, they will still come out and campaign there regardless. Trump came to Texas and spoke, held an event, and left. Hilary was all the place too in liberal states as well. Just because certain battleground states get campaigned at more does not mean that every other vote is not important or somehow less so.
I mean, theoretically if campaigns were ignorant, they could campaign at random and that variation could result in the incredibly focused campaigning in those swing states...but are you actually arguing it's something like that?

Let's put it in market terms: do you actually believe that either campaign would not trade a vote in California for a vote in Ohio?

I agree with you that all votes are important, but their value is clearly unequal.

Top it off swing states and battle ground states fluctuate. Michigan was a very key battle ground state this election.
I'll actually agree with you here, because I'm arguing out of a matter of principal, not that I dislike those particular states. Let's say that I could flip a switch to make the swing states rotate each election, that would still result in unequal vote values, and I'd still think it was wrong.

and it is also worth noting that the electoral college was created to benefit slaveholders.

http://atlantablackstar.com/2016/11/...igins-slavery/
1. Being shaped by the political existence of slavery is not the same thing as saying it was "created to benefit slaveholders." That'd be like saying Obamacare was "created to benefit insurance companies."

2. The genetic fallacy is a thing.

I feel the need to restate that I'd prioritize other election reforms first.

I just really hate seeing a debate that finally could take place outside of the dominant culture wars being dragged into "urban vs rural" or even "democrat vs republican". There are good arguments for the electoral college, and even better (or at least more persuasive to me) arguments for reforming the electoral college prior to trying a NPV.

I get excited for those kind of debates (ones that operate outside of reactive side-taking), I honestly do. Because as much as I like arguing, I really love seeing politicians argue on principles not faction lines. It doesn't happen often, but really you should see it when these geezers get into it during committee hearings on random non-partisan issues, it's like they're getting to live again for the first time, reminded why they ever got into politics in the first place, and I swear to god it makes them crave bipartisan solutions. They've forgotten what it's like, and it makes them crave honest discussion.

I'd hate for this opportunity to get squandered.

I'm honestly curious how you could believe that, so it's possible we are talking about different things. So let me ask you this, are you saying the Republicans are incapable of winning a national popular vote when they've done exactly that for 8 of the last 20 presidential elections? I think you believe the Republican party is much weaker than it really is (or you believe the Democrats are stronger than they really are).

I mean, even just look at this election, even if Clinton won the popular vote it wasn't exactly by a landslide; it was pretty damn close. Trump very well may have been able to win the election under popular vote rules (since they'd campaign differently), and again, I'm not trying to change the outcome of the election. I think the other system is more fair. Honestly if the Republicans fielded Rubio I feel like they would have easily won both the popular vote and electoral college.

Each vote does matter, and even while I dislike the electoral college there will ALWAYS be very important issues to vote on that everyone vote will matter equally (e.g. there was a local measure in my town that failed to reach super majority by 11 votes, and that'll impact the people here more than a lot of things Trump will do). But saying they are currently equal under the electoral college just isn't true, and campaign strategies show it.

I get your point that Dems still have to vote in California to win the state, and while I think everyone should vote even if it's for the symbolic participation in democracy, the electoral college skews the campaign towards arbitrary regional interests; which has actual consequences (not just principle violating inequality).

For example, coal. We heard a lot about coal, Clinton's infamous piece about putting coal out of business, Trump's insistence on bringing coal back. But coal didn't deserve that kind of attention, because government isn't putting coal out of business, the market is. Natural Gas is cheaper, less polluting, and more usable than coal. Even "coal country" acknowledges this. Clinton wouldn't have to do anything, because as long as natural gas is still booming, coal is doomed. Trump can't bring back coal unless he props coal up or brings natural gas down.

But that's not what the specific swing region wanted to hear. So instead the national conversation was skewed so that voters in those specific states were placated instead.

This happened because their votes were more valuable, and that's why they received more campaign attention.

I mean, theoretically if campaigns were ignorant, they could campaign at random and that variation could result in the incredibly focused campaigning in those swing states...but are you actually arguing it's something like that?

Let's put it in market terms: do you actually believe that either campaign would not trade a vote in California for a vote in Ohio?

I agree with you that all votes are important, but their value is clearly unequal.

I'll actually agree with you here, because I'm arguing out of a matter of principal, not that I dislike those particular states. Let's say that I could flip a switch to make the swing states rotate each election, that would still result in unequal vote values, and I'd still think it was wrong.
No Republicans have and will again win the popular vote. My issue is with people who whine and complain about "we need to change X part of the election cycle" because their candidate lost. It happened in 2000 with the Dems over Bush winning the electoral vote but Gore had the popular vote by a very slim margin. In 2012 the Republicans were mad at the electoral college. I did some research and found that they were upset over large blue states like Illinois, California, and felt the advantage was unfair; and now we have 2016 with Trump's victory. It would be easier to persuade me if the people calling for the college to be removed were not people who just lost in an election and want to retool the system to help them.

It is less that I believe the Republican party is weaker or the Dems are stronger. I just don't see what needs fixing. The electoral college was set up as a balance. I stated that in my other posts.

As for skewed by "regional issues" what is the problem? A certain region might have issues that are a big deal to them. They might not be the same as other states. Why should they not matter? Coal is a big thing in West Virginia. They have coal, but a lot of coal worker have been put out of work due to the EPA and Obama's energy policies. Does their voice and concern not matter because someone in Washington this natural gas or solar energy is the way to go? Should they be out of work in a region of the country where they might not have the best options to find work? That is not democracy, that is wanting to push an agenda. If someone wants to push for cleaner energy but wants to get those votes, offer them a solution that does not involve coal. That argument does not condemn the electoral college, it confirms it.

It would be easier to persuade me if the people calling for the college to be removed were not people who just lost in an election and want to retool the system to help them.
You know this goes both ways right? It'd be easier for me to believe you actually like the electoral college and not the result if your side didn't just win. So far your reasons for liking the electoral college don't carry much weight, especially when you call the other side crybabies.

Once again, keep this election. It's done. 2000 is done, keep it. But that doesn't make the electoral college the right system.

It is less that I believe the Republican party is weaker or the Dems are stronger. I just don't see what needs fixing. The electoral college was set up as a balance. I stated that in my other posts.
What does it balance? It doesn't balance rural vs urban. It doesn't balance Republican vs Democrat. The redistribution goes from non-swing states to swing states, that's the advantage, you'd have to argue that for some reason, swing states need that special attention and non-swing states (both populous ones like CA or TX and less-populous ones like Oregon or Alabama) need less attention.

As for skewed by "regional issues" what is the problem? A certain region might have issues that are a big deal to them. They might not be the same as other states. Why should they not matter?
Regional issues should have weight relative to the number of people affected by it. So coal should have some weight, but it shouldn't dominate over other issues that non-swing states have.

Coal is a big thing in West Virginia. They have coal, but a lot of coal worker have been put out of work due to the EPA and Obama's energy policies. Does their voice and concern not matter because someone in Washington this natural gas or solar energy is the way to go?
It's like you're actively avoiding reading up on this. The EPA isn't what's putting coal out of business, the market is. And it's natural gas that's doing it (as much as I wish we found some cheaper, even cleaner renewable) and it's not because of regulation.

Matter of fact, I was going to post a bunch of links about how it's natural gas, not regulations, but I guess you'd say I was cherry picking? So instead, just google "Why is coal in decline?" (or I dunno, ask jeeves it if you don't trust google). Seriously.

I guess I'm going out on a limb thinking that you're a free market kind of guy, but coal isn't coming back unless/until natural gas isn't dominating it. I wish I could credit my elected leaders with standing up for the environment, standing up against coal but the simple truth is that it was other businesses that did it.

Want to know why we stopped talking about the Keystone XL? If you read the Perryman Group study (the study funded by TransCanada) every single model for job growth they used assumed gas prices would either go up a lot, or in their most conservative model that it would go up a little (and the study needs the oil to be very profitable to generate the "jobs" because the pipeline itself doesn't need that many people to work on it or to maintain it afterwards, it's the idea of cheaper gas that gets it going).

It's incredibly frustrating that even when the market does its work, and a business goes down because it's not competitive, people still blame politicians.

Sadly, for the people that supported Trump that think he'll bring back coal... he lied. That really sucks. No doubt he'll blame something else (even though republicans will have control of all 3 branches of government), but that's still gonna cause suffering for those folk.

And all of that answers your next statement:

If someone wants to push for cleaner energy but wants to get those votes, offer them a solution that does not involve coal.
It's natural gas. Which means a lot of the people that hate fracking are going to be disappointed, because it's incredibly profitable, but that's another story.

Well I sure didn't cry foul in 08 and 12 when Obama won. I did not throw a fit and demand to change the rules went the election turned out differently then I wanted. I said I hope the president does a good job, accepted defeat and moved on.

As for regional issues, how do they dominate? They may a A PART of the national bebate but there are issues large and small that made up the electoral debate.

And natural gas may well be an option if there is gas there. But again, why can't their voices be heard? They are out of work, need jobs and want to back and earn a living. They want to bring coal back. Why can't they be heard out? Why can't they vote how they want? You seem more interested in coal vs natural gas and why the natural gas is better and upset that people voted to bring it back. It seems less "one man one vote" and more this important issue is a bigger deal.

Natural gas is a great option and should be tapped as a resource don't get me wrong. If you got it use it. But that is still no good reason to repeal the electoral college.

Well I sure didn't cry foul in 04 and 08 when Obama won. I did not throw a fit and demand to change the rules went the election turned out differently then I wanted. I said I hope the president does a good job, accepted defeat and moved on.
I mean, even I'd cry foul if Obama won the '04 election...

As for regional issues, how do they dominate? They may a A PART of the national bebate but there are issues large and small that made up the electoral debate. And natural gas may well be an option if there is gas there. But again, why can't their voices be heard? They are out of work, need jobs and want to back and earn a living. They want to bring coal back. Why can't they be heard out? Why can't they vote how they want? You seem more interested in coal vs natural gas and why the natural gas is better and upset that people voted to bring it back. It seems less "one man one vote" and more this important issue is a bigger deal.
Coal is just a good example of warping the narrative because there's nothing to be done about coal without either drastically improving coal or drastically impeding natural gas. I firmly believe we wouldn't have heard much about coal if it weren't for the rust belt being a hotspot of swing states.

I also think it's ethically wrong to string these people along like it's not market forces causing coal to shut down.

And I'm not upset if people voted to bring coal back, it's not coming back. People could vote to bring back the VHS industry, wouldn't make a difference. Well, actually I'm a bit upset for them that they're getting their hopes up, feel bad for them.

I took more of a detour than I should have on coal because you somehow got the idea that Obama and the EPA was what caused coal to enter decline, when I can't think of a source outside of Breitbart comment sections that would possibly argue the primary cause of the decline of coal was anything but drastically increased competition.

Really the whole reason I waded back into this after the discussion from a few months ago was because you argued that a national popular vote would somehow lead to Democratic Totalitarianism.

Natural gas is a great option and should be tapped as a resource don't get me wrong. If you got it use it. But that is still no good reason to repeal the electoral college.
It's true, and if coal was the only reason to get rid of the electoral college you'd be right to want more. But you seemed to strategically ignore literally everything else?

If you want more reasons I already gave them here:

What does it balance? It doesn't balance rural vs urban. It doesn't balance Republican vs Democrat. The redistribution goes from non-swing states to swing states, that's the advantage, you'd have to argue that for some reason, swing states need that special attention and non-swing states (both populous ones like CA or TX and less-populous ones like Oregon or Alabama) need less attention.
4) Here's the basic point. The states that do benefit from the EC are swing states. No doubt about it. So if you want to argue that the EC is better than NPV, you must argue why swing state voters deserve more relative power than non-swing state voters. Why don't Texans and Californians deserve presidential attention? Democrats in Texas and Republicans currently do not matter under EC, but they would matter just as much as everyone else under NPV.

Why should some votes matter more than others?

But you actually don't need to respond to anything above, because I'll combine these into a few flowing questions. (I'll put my answers in parentheses so it's not like I'm forcing you into yes/no without me doing it too)

1) Do you think campaigns valued a vote in Ohio more than a vote in Texas in 2016? (I think yes)

2) Does this imply that votes are valued unequally between those two states? (I think yes)

3) Does that mean that campaigns would cater more to the voter in Ohio more than in Texas? (I think yes)

4) Does that mean that voters are being treated unequally? (I think yes)

5) If 2 votes are for the same office, should they be equally valuable [no different value based on race, location, gender, etc]? (I think yes)

6) Would you be for a reform to the electoral college that changed states from winner take all to proportionally distributed [for example, if in California D gets 74.5% of the vote, R gets 20% and L gets 5.5% D gets 41 electoral votes, R gets 11, and L gets 3]? (I think yes)

Also I'm interested if you could reconcile these two statements:

Without the electoral college a candidate would only have to campaign in certain major cities to get the majority vote.
Just because certain battleground states get campaigned at more does not mean that every other vote is not important or somehow less so.
In the first, you seem to say that campaigning in only a few areas is a bad thing.
In the second you seem to say that campaigning in only a few areas isn't a bad thing.

Slight error in my initial post. It has been fixed.

1. As someone who lives in Texas I know there was a push to try and make Texas go blue for once. It did not work but they tried. As for do they value either state more, I say the both parties value both equally. Both really want Ohio as well. Both stand equal chance chance at Ohio. Texas is still more then likely go Red and very needed by the Republicans, but the Dems will get California, New York and Illinois and the enter weat coast and the majority of New England. And since both sides will have get out the vote movements nation wide, they still will want as many votes as they can. Because ultimately one vote is one vote.

2. It still does not mean their votes are worth more. At the end of they day they are still one vote.

3. This assumes what people in Ohio wants will never overlap with the rest of the nation. I am pretty sure they can find some common ground in national issues that come up in elections. Jobs and the economy was a big deal, and I am pretty sure that goes across the board.

4. No one is being treated unfairly. Not unless dead men vote.

5. Last I checked it was stil one vote.

6. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

And since you fail to grasp (or ignore) my balance argument here it is one more time. The electoral college allows the electorate to be heard by all segments of the population. It prevents some urbanite from looking down at the rural folk and dismissing their issues as minor or insignificant while pushing their own agenda. Kinda like what you are doing. You brought up coal vs natural gas. The basis of the arguement was natural gas is great (fine) and better the coal (okay), but you feel that the people who want coal to come back so they can have jobs again distort the election process since it is a regional issue and because you say coal is never coming back. Whether or not it comes back is one thing, but they still have every right to be heard. Their issues are important and deserve to be heard. That comes with self governance. It lets them have a voice and not brushed aside by some guy who thinks he knows better.

And as for your last statement it is incomplete and twisting my words. It is not that focusing a campaign is bad, it is that it would shift the campaigning to places where there are just high populations. And they may not have the exact same issues as those urbanites. Because this might shock you, other people have different opinions and walks of life. We all can connect on jobs, the economy and the like in some fashion. We might disagree but we can connect. But the needs and issues of someone in small town Alabama will be different from Chicago. The people who live in the hills of the Appalacians will be different then LA. And the electoral college helps safeguard they get a fair break in the discussion. Because God forbid they have a voice in the discussion right?

+rep to all the posts of Slappydavis.

Also I find it telling when Trump supporters call those against him "crybabies," "whiners," "poor losers," etc. because I see it as an attempt to shut down discussion. (I also suspect it's a bit of projection--or maybe a lot of projection.) [And note, I'm not pointing any fingers at any particular people, just what I've noticed in general.] I have never been in favor of the electoral college, going back much further than 2000. People vote, not acres of land. The fact is we have no idea how these elections would turn out if it went by the popular vote, because there's too many people whose vote for the president is meaningless... and it goes both ways. If you're a Republican living in New York or California, your vote for president doesn't matter.

And frankly, if Republicans are worried they'll never again be able to win the popular vote, then they really need to take a long, hard look at their party.

And as for your last statement it is incomplete and twisting my words. It is not that focusing a campaign is bad, it is that it would shift the campaigning to places where there are just high populations. And they may not have the exact same issues as those urbanites. Because this might shock you, other people have different opinions and walks of life. We all can connect on jobs, the economy and the like in some fashion. We might disagree but we can connect. But the needs and issues of someone in small town Alabama will be different from Chicago. The people who live in the hills of the Appalacians will be different then LA. And the electoral college helps safeguard they get a fair break in the discussion. Because God forbid they have a voice in the discussion right?
C'mon, Gunslinger, you're sounding rather condescending there. As for people having a voice in the discussion, I think if something really is a regional issue, then that's why they have representatives, for those issues. But as Slappydavis pointed out, what about all the regional issues in states that aren't swing states? Their issues aren't being heard. Is that fair?

I think the one con against going to the popular vote would be the possibility of making these presidential campaigns even more expensive and exhausting, and the amount of money being spent is already out of control. But I just don't think it's fair that it's really just ten or eleven states that are basically deciding presidential elections.

In all fairness he came off quite condescending to me as well.
That actually is true. I was a bit. I felt the bit about crybabies and that NPVers were just tyrants in disguise were both a bit condescending, but I did make the choice to be so. So yeah, I agree, there's no obligation for you.

I doubt we will reach any common ground or understanding. Oh well. I tried.
I agree with this too, because I truly really expected more of those answers to be yes and that I'd discover we'd be closer in opinion than I initially thought; but I was wrong. And I don't think we'd convince each other either.

It's totally possible I'll come back if there's something related to the topic, but it won't be aimed at you for a response.

Thanks for talking with me.