Tim Burton's "Big Fish"

Tools    

Lets put a smile on that block
Has anyone got any news on this film? I absoloutly cannot wait to see it, it looks magical! Ive heard it be described as a forrest gump meets Edward ScissorHands. Basically what i get from the trailer is that its the story of some old man's (Albert Finney) life, but its told in a strange way.

Have a look at the trailer and let me know what you think -

Big Fish

Helena Bonham Carter (sp?) looks Very cool in it too

I must become Caligari..!
i am looking forward to it to!, Burton returns to his fantasy outthere style.... Looks
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

Im really looking forward to this one as well, Im huge fan of Burton's work and the trailor looks great, Im also a big fan McGregor, along with a great cast, this looking good.

Only for the weak
Here is a link to the Filmcritic.com review of the movie.

Sounds VERY cool.

Friggin' limited release....I'll have to wait for the DVD. .....I think it's limited release, anyway.

Never conform, never compromise....
Originally Posted by Garrett
Friggin' limited release....I'll have to wait for the DVD. .....I think it's limited release, anyway.

I think it is limited release, to start...then major release like 2 weeks later..not positive though. I hope it becomes a major release anyways, I really want to see this one.
- Corey Taylor (2002)

It was beauty killed the beast.
Kong hates this trailer. Of course it's impossible to judge a movie from the trailer, but it looks like it will be a near unbearable sap-fest from the look of this preview.

Burton's name being attatched to this product only furthers to lower Kong's expectations. Sure, Burton's done some good work, but he's also done work that fails to be anything more than uber-atmospheric.

Originally Posted by Kong
Kong hates this trailer. Of course it's impossible to judge a movie from the trailer, but it looks like it will be a near unbearable sap-fest from the look of this preview.

Burton's name being attatched to this product only furthers to lower Kong's expectations. Sure, Burton's done some good work, but he's also done work that fails to be anything more than uber-atmospheric.

I don't know what to do with you Kong, as soon a i saw you had replied in this thread i knew it was going to be a post saying how you don't like the idea of the film. I dont mean this in a negative way, its cool that you dont like it, me and you must have the total different taste in films. there must be one.....ONE film that me and you both agree on....lets see...

What do you think of Batman? (the first film)

Originally Posted by blibblobblib

I don't know what to do with you Kong, as soon a i saw you had replied in this thread i knew it was going to be a post saying how you don't like the idea of the film. I dont mean this in a negative way, its cool that you dont like it, me and you must have the total different taste in films. there must be one.....ONE film that me and you both agree on....lets see...

What do you think of Batman? (the first film)
Batman's alright. Nothing great, but it's entertaining and that's really all a movie like that needs to be.

Like Kong said though, it's tough judging a movie from a trailer. This one just looks so preachy, and sentimental... Plus, Kong really doesn't like Ewan McGregor's accent in this trailer. It sounds like some who isn't southern trying to pawn himself off as southern and failing miserably at it(Of course, this will probably only bother people who are from the south).

Hopefully though, Kong will turn out to be wrong.

I'm hoping it will be good. I'm one of the few that is unimpressed with Burton's body of work. There are a handful of his movies that are all right I guess, but usually, they're just so...

I do have faith in McGregor. He's one of the best actors of his generation.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Batman's alright. Nothing great, but it's entertaining and that's really all a movie like that needs to be.
Aaaah. I would say i agree with you on that one...Now here's a toughie though.

What do you think about "Sleep Hollow" ay?

Like Kong said though, it's tough judging a movie from a trailer. This one just looks so preachy, and sentimental... Plus, Kong really doesn't like Ewan McGregor's accent in this trailer. It sounds like some who isn't southern trying to pawn himself off as southern and failing miserably at it(Of course, this will probably only bother people who are from the south).

Hopefully though, Kong will turn out to be wrong.
Yeah it is hard to judge a film by the trailer. I always get excited about any new work Burton does, becuase iv'e enjoyed so many of his films in the past. I love the atmosphere he creates. but for me that does sometime fog the poor plot or acting that sometimes happens in his films. Its like Edward Scissorhands, i wouldnt say it has a great story, it has the basics for a potentially great film but i feel the plot wasn't developed enough. BUT i love the way the film looks, the way it sounds and the characters so much that its in my top 10 faves.

McGreggor is another example of some "fogging" that im normally guilty of. I always enjoy watching his acting so much, i sometimes ignore his bad qualities. It does sound like a pretty bad southern accent, just like the bad American accent he had in Down With love, but i will probably overlook it becuase i enjoy him being on the screen so much.

From you post i get the impression your from the South? Am i wrong? No big deal but in one of my modules at Uni at the mo where learing about Female writers in the American South during the civil war. its very interesting indeed

What do you think about "Sleep Hollow" ay?
It's very atmospheric, very beautiful to look at, Depp's performance is nice to watch, but beyond that it did precious little for Kong. Kong walked away feeling sort of like the title: sleepy, and hollow.

McGreggor is another example of some "fogging" that im normally guilty of. I always enjoy watching his acting so much, i sometimes ignore his bad qualities. It does sound like a pretty bad southern accent, just like the bad American accent he had in Down With love, but i will probably overlook it becuase i enjoy him being on the screen so much.
Kong doesn't remember his general American accent in Down With Love, but Kong remembers he sported a phony sounding southern accent in that one too. Of course, it was set-up so that his southern accent was a ruse within the film so it made since for it to sound fake.

From you post i get the impression your from the South? Am i wrong? No big deal but in one of my modules at Uni at the mo where learing about Female writers in the American South during the civil war. its very interesting indeed
Kong is from the south, not the deep south, but the south nonetheless. Your course sound like an interesting one, and one which Kong knows practically nothing about.

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Kong doesn't remember his general American accent in Down With Love, but Kong remembers he sported a phony sounding southern accent in that one too. Of course, it was set-up so that his southern accent was a ruse within the film so it made since for it to sound fake.
Since you're on the subject of Ewan and accents, what about his accent in Black Hawk Down? I couldn't stand it! He was the only one of the Brits and Aussies whose fake American accent bothered me.
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

Originally Posted by Mark
Since you're on the subject of Ewan and accents, what about his accent in Black Hawk Down? I couldn't stand it! He was the only one of the Brits and Aussies whose fake American accent bothered me.
Again, Kong doesn't really remember. Was his part even that big though? All Kong remembers of McGregor in that film was that he made coffee or liked coffee or had something to with coffee.

The more Kong thinks about it the more he feels that Tim Burton is, more or less, a poor man's Terry Gilliam.

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
The more Kong thinks about it the more he feels that Tim Burton is, more or less, a poor man's Terry Gilliam.
Good comparison, and I understand your meaning of "poor man's," but I wonder if Gilliam would trade in a few of his critically acclaimed for one HUGE box office hit like most of Burton's.

Though I agree with most that has been said (I wish McGregor would do more good films, rather than Star Wars), but, Im a new fan of Burtons, my first experience of his was years ago, and that was Batman, and I hate Batman.

But, recently, I saw Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands and to a lesser extent, Sleepy Hollow blew me away, such brilliant visuals, I do hold hope out for Big Fish, with a good cast, it could be great.

With the title being original and the movie itself seemingly being the same i still have my pro's and conns.

Pros:

A movie a female audience would enjoy, thus taking your wife or g/f to it would be ideal.

Fantasy, it appeals to the younger generations.

Cons:

Seems to have ripped off (sorry to use blunt phrases) Edwards scissor hands music.

I don't think i can get used to Ewan McGregor's accent in this movie, slightly annoying.

The trailer seems to give away the entire movie, i feel like i've seen it all now.

All in all i'll be taking my g/f to watch this one, possibly

Seems to have ripped-off Edward Scissorhands' music
I don't think techincally you can rip yourself off.

Danny Elfman has composed the music to all of Tim Burton's movies, including Edward Scissorhands and Big Fish, so it's no surprise that they would sound similar. My complaint with Elfman has always been that apart from a few instances, his film scores all sound too much alike, ESPECIALLY in the Burton projects. But apparently, it's exactly what Tim Burton wants, so I guess we should complain to him for all those similarities, not Elfman.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

D'oh! IAnd I just realized you haven't even seen the movie, Sadistic, that you think the Big Fish and Scissorhands music sounds the same based on the trailer! I haven't ever seen the full trailer, but it could well be it actualy uses the score from Eddie Scissorhands. This is a quite common practice in trailers, as they are often put together before the film's score and final editing have been completed.

Either way, I'm sure, as usual, Elfman's work for Scissorhands sounds much like the rest of his collaborations with Burton.