jiraffejustin's 500+ favorite films

→ in
Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
Hands down, the best top on MoFo!
This got me curious as to how all of these films have been rated by you, so I took a trip to your RYM page.

The 400 Blows - 4.5
Alien - 2.5
All Quiet on the Western Front - 4.5
The Apartment - 5
The Human Condition trilogy - 5
Essential Killing - 2.5
Autumn Sonata - 5
The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears - 4.5
L'Age d'Or - 3.5
The Earrings of Madame de... - 4
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - 4
Bigger Than Life - 3.5
The Old Dark House - 4
Halloween - 3
In a Lonely Place - 4
Nosferatu the Vampyre - 4.5
Her - 3.5
Sansho the Bailiff - 5
Psycho - 4.5
Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance - 4
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx - 4
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades - 4
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril - 4
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons - 3.5
Lone Wolf and Cub: White Heaven in Hell - 4

Halloween, Nosferatu The Vampyre, Her and Psycho are all great I've watched Shogun Assassin which i think is some of the Lone Wolf films compiled or something, don't remember it too well though. Not seen any of the others, want to see Sansho as i really liked Ugetsu.

Halloween, Nosferatu The Vampyre, Her and Psycho are all great I've watched Shogun Assassin which i think is some of the Lone Wolf films compiled or something, don't remember it too well though. Not seen any of the others, want to see Sansho as i really liked Ugetsu.
I haven't seen Shogun Assassin, but yeah it's some sort of Lone Wolf and Cub compilation. It's also famous for being a sample used by the Wu-Tang Clan. Which makes the fact that it was totally unnecessary forgivable.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
This got me curious as to how all of these films have been rated by you, so I took a trip to your RYM page.

The 400 Blows - 4.5
Alien - 2.5
All Quiet on the Western Front - 4.5
The Apartment - 5
The Human Condition trilogy - 5
Essential Killing - 2.5
Autumn Sonata - 5
The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears - 4.5
L'Age d'Or - 3.5
The Earrings of Madame de... - 4
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - 4
Bigger Than Life - 3.5
The Old Dark House - 4
Halloween - 3
In a Lonely Place - 4
Nosferatu the Vampyre - 4.5
Her - 3.5
Sansho the Bailiff - 5
Psycho - 4.5
Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance - 4
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx - 4
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades - 4
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril - 4
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons - 3.5
Lone Wolf and Cub: White Heaven in Hell - 4
Haha. Quite true! See? I don't have to do anything now!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

39. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977; George Lucas)
40. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1981; Irvin Kershner)
41. Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1986; Richard Marquand)

This series doesn't really need to be talked about. Everybody knows these films.

42. The Thing (1982; John Carpenter)

As mentioned in Camo's thread, here it is. Paranoia at its finest. Anybody ever notice how Nicholas Cage's character in Adaptation looks like the screenshot above?

43. WALL·E (2008; Andrew Stanton)

I am just knocking out some beloved sci-fi classics right now. WALL-E definitely belongs in the upper echelon of science fiction, animated or otherwise.

44. The Horseman (2008; Steven Katrissios)

A very harsh and very brutal revenge film. Bleakly lit, bleak colors, ugly world.

45. Nightmare City (1980; Umberto Lenzi)

Not recommended for those who take cinema super serious. If you enjoy a sloppy mess of a film, I think you will love Nightmare City. The zombies in this movie are unlike anything I've ever seen.

Interesting mix as expected. Also as expected my favorites from the list are main stream. I have seen a lot more than I expected so far. I love the Star Wars picks, The Apartment, and In A Lonely Place.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't seen (or even heard of) most of the movies on your list, but there are a few movies in the last few sets that I've seen and liked.

Bigger Than Life
In a Lonely Place
Her
Psycho

And of course these movies are among my all-time favorites:
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
WALL·E

46. The New York Ripper (1982; Lucio Fulci)

The duck voice is probably going to put some people off, but if you can get past that you and you generally like Fulci, you'll like this movie too. It's sleazy as all get out. This currently sits at 17% on Rotten Tomatoes, which just goes to show that you can't trust critics when it comes to horror films or movies about people who use fake duck voices.

47. Late Spring (1949; Yasujirô Ozu)

I haven't seen very many Ozu films as of yet. But I have noticed that I love that while his films are visually impressive on multiple levels, his ability to convey familial relationships on screen is second to none. And he had Setsuko Hara in his films all the time, and if you don't like that, you are a jamook.

48. Le Trou (1960; Jacques Becker)

Le Trou excels at creating tension. That tension raises the stakes in an already high-stakes situation. It's also incredibly well-crafted. As far as prison escape movies go, this one is in the upper echelon.

49. Amer (2009; Hélène Cattet & Bruno Forzani)

A perfecting melding "arthouse," gialli, surrealism, eroticism, style, and suspense. Plot optional, like most proper gialli. The world needs more experimental gialli.

50. Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (1960; Karel Reisz)

British kitchen sink realism. Albert Finney gives a star-making performance. I think for the time this is a fairly controversial film, as it deals with some things that probably weren't as widely discussed as they are now. It was filmed in black and white, and it's an ugly black and white that seems to match Albert Finney's outlook on life in this film.