The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I've seen The Road Warrior a bunch of times (and never been particularly impressed with it), but I've never seen the original Mad Max . Haven't seen The Muppet Movie since I was a kid.

My mother took me to see The Muppet Movie when it came out. I thought it was great, but I haven't been into that in a long time.

My father took me to see Mad Max as a double-feature with Animal House around 1980. Both movies had already made their initial theatrical runs, but this is something small cinemas used to do quite frequently. I loved it then, and I love it now, and it's always been my favorite of the series. Four months ago, it makes my list. Today it would be somewhere around 40. I'm glad it made it and I'm surprised to see both at this point.

My father took me to see Mad Max as a double-feature with Animal House around 1980. Both movies had already made their initial theatrical runs, but this is something small cinemas used to do quite frequently. I loved it then, and I love it now, and it's always been my favorite of the series. Four months ago, it makes my list. Today it would be somewhere around 40. I'm glad it made it and I'm surprised to see both at this point.
Yes, until the advent of the video tape rental market in the early '80s, it was very common for the Studios to re-release films, either as double bills with similar new releases, definitely done in the drive-ins and some theaters, or simply secondary, tertiary, or more platform releases to get them back out there for more revenue. The original Star Wars was basically in at least some theaters pretty damn near constantly up until Empire was released in 1980. That's how I was able to see it nearly thirty times in those three years. Every couple months or so, you could go see it again, even years after its initial release.

I'm sure for you youngins it is difficult to imagine, but before even cable TV became an outlet, the only way you saw movies was either in the theater or when they were broadcast on TV. Very different world.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Chappie doesn't like the real world
The Muppet Movie was my seventh place vote. So glad it made the list. Check it out if you haven't seen it; it's hilarious! Some great songs in that movie too.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Yes, until the advent of the video tape rental market in the early '80s, it was very common for the Studios to re-release films, either as double bills with similar new releases, definitely done in the drive-ins and some theaters, or simply secondary, tertiary, or more platform releases to get them back out there for more revenue. The original Star Wars was basically in at least some theaters pretty damn near constantly up until Empire was released in 1980. That's how I was able to see it nearly thirty times in those three years. Every couple months or so, you could go see it again, even years after its initial release.

I'm sure for you youngins it is difficult to imagine, but before even cable TV became an outlet, the only way you saw movies was either in the theater or when they were broadcast on TV. Very different world.
Star Wars and Jaws seemed to be in permanent rotation at our local cinema when I was a kid. When Empire came out it'd regularly be in a double bill with the first film and a triple bill when Jedi was released.

Good to see that the list already contains one of the most famous double bills - Don't Look Now & The Wicker Man.

Then came VHS, and then Independence Day had it's theatrical run, then did the unprecedented idea of releasing the home video like three months after it closes as opposed to nearly a year after it closes.

Now it is common to leave a theater in a month or two depending on how the movie does at the box office. Sometimes you get at Frozen or Avatar with insane legs, and then you get a 47 Ronin that leaves earlier.

Location is also a factor.

A system of cells interlinked
Great set! I had neither on my list, but I like them both!

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I'd like to see a reinterpretation of The Muppet Movie using sock puppets. Although Mad Max with sock puppets could probably work as well.

Never actually seen The Muppet Movie, unless i saw it when i was very young and i'm forgetting about it. The only Muppet features i remember are; A Christmas Carol and Treasure Island.

Mad Max, i do know i watched when i was very young but sadly i remember very little about it.

Yup, it was your fourteenth pick, and the only one from your ballot to make the list, thus far. I just messaged the it back to you, so you can have it for reference sake.
Thank you very much.

Finally, a pair I've actually seen both of!

I've never been a huge fan of the Muppets so their movie didn't make my list, but it is fun. Mad Max made my list at number #23, though more out of respect for the excellent sequels it spawned than for the film itself.

My List
1. Didn't Make The Cut
6. Paper Moon (#74)
22. Hausu (#76)
23. Mad Max (#70)
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)

Americans dub films that are already in English?
yes it was dubbed as it was very colloquial Aussie. Just like you get subs for non-Brits on British films that have strong regional accents. I went to see Ken Loach's Sweet Sixteen at the cinema and loads of the dialogue was subbed , it was really annoying

Let the night air cool you off
Mad Max was my most disappointing watch in preparation for my list. I was expecting to love it. Suffice to say, I did not.

I'd like to see The Muppet Movie, it looks fun.

I like Mad Max, but I think that there are a lot of better 70's movies so it wasn't on my list.

I never heard nor am I interested in the other one.