The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I like both of those movies. Don't Look Now is fantastic! It wasn't on my list but I think I just forgot about it... it very easily could have been.

Who had [Don't Look Now] at number 3 and 10? Good taste
Norman Desmond had it as his third, and Tacitus as his tenth.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Awesome pair, both on my list.

Don't Look Now was 19th, and there may be some more Roeg films on my list too, so I am hoping that they show up. I thought Walkabout was more liked than Don't Look Now around here, so that should at least show up. Here's what I wrote about it when I first saw it:

Don't Look Now

(Nicolas Roeg, 1973)

Gripping horror film that is extremely effective due to the atmosphere created by Roeg. Much like Walkabout, the film carries a mysterious eerie feeling throughout, creating by fantastic use and mixture of images and colours. Also similar to Walkabout is the constant theme of communication throughout the film, captured perfectly by the seemingly hopeless Donald Sutherland who constantly feels out of place and in trouble, as if everyone around him is an enemy, and he is being closed in on by his environment.
The Conformist was 5th on my list. On another day, along with the four above it, it could have took the top spot. I think it is a fantastic film and one of my favourites not just of the Seventies, but all time. There has been quite a lot of discussion about it on here because some people on here really don't like it, but I think it's a definite masterpiece of cinema, a
film, and I'm glad it looks like a few others do as well.

People always mention the woods scene, but the whole thing is a marvel to behold, absolutely stunning. Sorry for filling the page with images, but this has to be done:

Don't look now was ok, I can see why some people love it, but it wasn'T for me.

The Conformist was great, but I'll understand it more on a rewatch I think.

Looking through the first 30 we have had some pretty big names come through in directing, acting, and even writing. And we are barely a quarter of the way through this thing. The rest of this list feels like it is going to be pretty damn good.

And of course, can't wait for the Top 10.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I first saw Don't Look Now as an 18-year-old at the drive-in with my younger brother, who although only 12 at the time was already a big horror fan. We both thought it was weird more than anything, but it was eerie and came across as a nightmare more than anything else. It was certainly nothing like du Maurier's story, but since this was our first Roeg film, we didn't know any better, but Todd liked it more than I did. We've both watched it several times over the years, and the last time I saw it was with Todd, who now considers it one of his favorites. He brought his DVD over and we discussed it all the way through, finding new meanings for the various images and sounds and discussing them in the context of Roeg's films. I still have strong reservations about how good it is, but there's no getting around that Roeg put it together with the eye for it having staying power and built upon it as a foundation for his personal style of filmmaking.

I saw The Conformist at my college and a few times since. It's beautifully shot and a decent film, but I've never been able to get into it very much. And this coming from someone who fell in love with Days of Heaven the first time and has never found it cold or uninvolving. I don't know, I've seen most of Bertolucci's films (at least the non-documentaries), and although wildly-cinematic at times, they seem somewhat obtuse in the storytelling department, and this one seemed no different. Perhaps when I watch it again, I'll be able to put my thoughts into better perspective. I still give it a thumbs up, but I can't give you an enthusiastic reason why.

wasn't really crazy about the conformist, but i watched kind of a crappy copy, so maybe I might like it more on a rewatch. didn't get to don't look now, but it was very high on my priority list.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Need to give The Conformist another spin. Good movie, just didn't really connect with it. Dont look now is pretty good as well.

Norman Desmond had it as his third
RIGGED!!!!!!!!!!

and Tacitus as his tenth.
RIGGED!

Come clean Holden. We all know you just got Tacitus to join for the 70's list. He never posts on this site any other time.

I cant even remember my list, but I think Don't Look Now is the only entry so far which was on it.
Yup, it was your fourteenth pick, and the only one from your ballot to make the list, thus far. I just messaged the it back to you, so you can have it for reference sake.

This list is shaping up to be really solid, even though I've only seen 12/30 (2 from my list), but lots of movies have shown up that have been high up on my 70's watchlist. Don't Look Now is great but didn't quite make my list, I am expecting Walkabout to make an appearance soon. The quantity and variety of lists for this countdown is really making it unpredictable, but I'm still having fun making predictions

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Never heard of Don't Look Now and know of The Conformist only because I ran into it looking for something else. Will the French Connection make the Top 10?

Never heard of Don't Look Now and know of The Conformist only because I ran into it looking for something else. Will the French Connection make the Top 10?
I'm predicting between 11-20.

Two good ones in that last set. Neither made my list.