RoboCop

Tools    

[i]
Is Kinnaman saying this is going to be less of an ultra-violent comic book satire, and more of an arty brooding spiritual exploration of humanity versus technology? I hope not because that's a sure fire way to unwhet my appetite.
I actually want them to go that route. The satire thing was done and done exceptionally well before, why do it again? I'm always open to reinterpretations of interesting stories. The best remakes don't just retread everything their originals do, they reinvent.

This Jose Padilha sounds like a promising filmmaker, too. I'm going to check out his other works at some point.

I say Bryan Cranston for Clarence.

The best remakes don't just retread everything their originals do, they reinvent.
That's certainly a valid point, but my comments were more a reflection of personal taste. I wasn't saying the Robocop remake/reinvention shouldn't be different from the original. But to change the entire vibe, focus and style of the story seems foolish to me.

I still think the new version should be an ultra-violent satire, though it doesn't necessarily have to satirize the same things. After all the world has changed quite a lot since 1987; in such a way technologically, politically and economically that Robocop seems ripe for a killer satire more than ever. With an intelligent script it could be an absolute riot.

But hey, if the public wants more of a talky sombre art film approach then what do I know?

But hey, if the public wants more of a talky sombre art film approach then what do I know?
lol... UF, you crack me up.

BTW, I meant you're up for a Robocop remake, not just that take on it.

I have only seen the first one I never felt the need to watch the sequels but I did enjoy the first one.
Robocop 2 isn't too bad, worth a watch, but I wouldn't bother with number 3, it's a bit of a joke.

It has been so long since I saw the originals, I am very interested in seeing how this could be rethought with today's technology taken into account.

Samuel L. Jackson added to the cast:

Samuel L. Jackson has joined the cast of MGM’s upcoming “RoboCop” remake.
He will play Pat Novak, a powerful media mogul and character that was not in the original so little is known about him at this stage.

Oo another interesting casting:

Abbie Cornish looks to be the latest to join the cast of the Jose Padilha directed remake of RoboCop, the actress now in negotiations.
Hope she gets the part.

Abbie Cornish...the Aussies are taken over Hollywood

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Hard to beat the original Robocop. So badass when he's out in his patrol car with the theme tune playing.

Why are they remaking this classic 80's movie? It's not like the movie is forgotten!!

I would understand if those Hollywood basterds would remake movies that didn't do well the first time, but when they mess around with the classics...that is just unacceptable.

Same can be said about The Karate Kid, and the upcoming Total Recall.

What are they going to remake next? Rambo? Rocky? Commando?

Enough is enough!

BTW I don't know if it was a rumor or officially announced, but this will not be a remake.
So I am guessing it is somewhat on the lines of the Star Trek reboot.

Either way this movie had bad & corny sequels & a terrible TV Show (& I enjoyed all of them), so honestly I am damn excited to see this. I have seen Kinnaman act, he is not bad.
The director is quite good too. Atleast it's not Michael Bay who is set to direct it, we can atleast expect some substance in the film.

I am so excited to see RoboCop on the silver screen, I might hate it or like it. But it's good that finally another generation gets to talk about this guy, you hardly hear anyone of the youngsters talking about RoboCop.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The original Robocop is a classic, and remains one of my favorite films ever. I think I saw it at just the right time in my life, as a young teenager, and it was like forbidden fruit, a violent, over the top, hilariously effed up film that I shouldn't have been watching, full of endlessly quotable lines...It loomed large in my imagination then, and it still kind of does now.

This said, I am willing to give the new one a go, cause it has a good cast and a director who seems to want to do right by the original, but it won't take the place of the original. How are they ever going to be as memorable as "Bitches, Leave!" or Ed 209?

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Still doubtful about this film ! I was shocked when i've heard "Hey they want to make a remake of Robocop.." WHAT ??!!! No way, for me the real and only one is the original.

Anyway, i'm willing to give this movie a chance and i will go to see it even if i'm still afraid after seeing the first "teaser", i have the feeling that i will be deceived. The casting seems really great though (even if for me Peter Weller will stay the real Robocop^^).

But why Hollywood want to make a remake of all the good old movies, no inspiration anymore ?

I really hate that they're doing this. From what I've seen, it looks like the dark humor of the original will be completely gone, or poorly done. Don't even get me started on the concept art. . . yeesh.

...uh the post is up there...

^ That's very very early concept art if you are going by the almost 'Iron Man' type designs. They have moved on from that design apparently.