Minority Report

Tools    

RPG Man
It looks liek an OK movie to me, ill definately go see it. And just to add, because i have to, my friend and I both said "The Matrix: 1.5" makes a littel sense to me, but im posotive that it will bea good movie.

Now With Moveable Parts
The teaser was kick-ass! Just saw it today before AOTC. I will go see this film, for sure.

I call the review for this film. I will be seeing the first showing on the 21st.

Whad'you know?
Looks like pretty forumlaic plot, but hopefully Spielberg's touch could elevate it above that.

Also interesting, akin to A.I., is the CGI seems to be nicely interspersed with actual footage, rather than the Spiderman/AOTC epidemic.

I don't know about the plot being formulaic. It doesn't seem all that formulaic, considering the trailers....unless you know something about it we don't.

My hope is that this movie can somehow grapple with the method by which intention creates reality, and more importantly the notion of personal responsibility for unrealized and perhaps unrecognized intention. I would be happy if it touched these issues at all, and I'd be thrilled if it wasn't totally superficial in its treatment of them. But we'll see. It looks like it'll at least be enjoyable.

Whad'you know?
Well, I mean the foundation is formulaic in the sense that you always see someone 'happy' in their job - complete. Then suddenly, they're framed, or due to corruption within the company, etc. everything's shifted off balance, like the Fugitive.

So, it seems to be based on something common, but what it's done with that looks interesting.

Oh, I see what you mean. In that sense, yeah, it does seem formulaic. The whole sequence of quotations from the trailer...."The System is perfect. It's never wrong. Until it comes after you." and then we have Tom (John) shouting "somebody set me up!" and apparently escaping from his old office building (or breaking into it, if you've seen the web trailer) etc, etc.

I think what's going to make this film unusual or creative, if anything, is the way in which the "predictive" powers of the Division of PreCrime are used to resolve the conflict. It's going to be pretty dissapointing if it just turns out someone was screwing with the system just to get him fired. I guess we'll see.

Yeah, 'zactly. I'm holding out hope for something kinda cool...the below is POTENTIALLY a spoiler...I won't know 'til I see the flick.

WARNING: "Minority Report" spoilers below
I was thinking it'd be rather clever to find a way to have him actually kill the guy after all. Perhaps some kind of circular logic where, BECAUSE he was supposed to kill the person, he ends up doing so, but he wouldn't have if he were not pursued in the first place.

That's pretty much what I was thinking too, and I think that may be the plot "twist" that ends up being employed, because you notice that several shots in the trailers show him being pretty aggresive with a gun.

Also,

notice that the clip they keep showing at the start of the trailer is of him arresting "Howard Marks" for the future muder of "Sarah Marks"....in other words, he was going to kill his wife. Then at the end of the trailer you see a bunch of PreCrime cops seperating John from a woman, who he was embracing, who seems quite distressed that they're being seperated. Hmm...

I really hope this movie justifies my interest in it.

True...however he was arrested for the murder of Sarah Marks and Donald something, and judging by a few fleeting shots, it looks like the guy was gonna whack his wife, and her lover. I'd be surprised if that tied into it, but I do think we're gonna see some funky twist of that sort. At least, I hope we do.

The loophole of logic of Precrime:
If some is arrested for the future murder of someone, then by all logic, they actually haven't committed the crime. How does that work?

But nyeh.

Funny how I never choose the films I become excited in.
They always choose me.

I had only mild interest in Minority Report until I read Ebert's, not review, but essay thing about it and the interview he had with Speilberg and with Cruise. And then TIME did a piece about it and kept mentioning that it's like a film noir from fifty years ago set fifty years into the future and that got me all excited, and now, of course, I simply cannot wait to see this film. I am very much looking forward to it. I remember reading an article in a magazine about the film a long while back. It was about number three on it's top five anticipated films. It was saying that it was basically a chance for Speilberg to take a break and make a good old popcorn flick. Doesn't look like it's going to be like that at all. Looks like it's going to be a real little mind bender.

By the way, Chris: your prediction of the 'twist' was exactly what I had in mind.