Minio's Ramblings on Cinema

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Sorry, but Yoshida has better films.

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

When I see what kind of normie movies people write about in Rate the last movie you saw thread.

What’s there to be sorry about? I never said, nor implied he hadn’t.
Cool beans, just a shout-out that you're in for some amazing movies.

One of the best movies of all time. Man, Japanese cinema sure was a force to reckon with back in the 60s.

My taste has deteriorated so much and yet it's still better than anybody else's on this site. How's that possible?!

It's always so refreshing to see a film shot like this. A forgotten art, indeed.

(Selected) Best Films I First Watched in 2023

Les misérables (1925)

15小时 [15 Hours] (2017)

Két elhatározás [A Quite Ordinary Life] (1978)

Hu-Man (1975)

寻找林昭的灵魂 [Searching for Lin Zhao's Soul] (2004)

The Yearling (1946)

映画 すみっコぐらし とびだす絵本とひみつのコ [Sumikko Gurashi the Movie: The Pop-Up Book and the Secret Child] (2019)

第50回全国高校野球選手権大会 青春 [Youth: The 50th National High School Baseball Tournament] (1968)

母情 [A Mother's Love] (1950)

I Remember Mama (1948)

The Strawberry Blonde (1941)

Penny Serenade (1941)

Wait Till the Sun Shines, Nellie (1952)

Les dernières fiançailles [The Last Betrothal] (1973)

Les Perses (1961)

The Mountain (1956)

私は二歳 [Being Two Isn't Easy] (1962)

破戒 [The Outcast] (1962)

雨あがる [After the Rain] (1999)

I'd Climb the Highest Mountain (1951)

Himmel und Erde [Heaven and Earth] (1982)

Glide of Transparency (2016)

パコと魔法の絵本 [Paco and the Magical Book] (2008)

牧野物語 養蚕編 映画のための映画 [Magino Story: Raising Silkworms] (1977)

関東無宿 [Kanto Wanderer] (1963)

宇宙からのメッセージ [Message From Space] (1978)

Ended up with 15 (yes, fifteen) films watched in a row. Now that mark f is no longer with us, I don't think any of the current forumites can beat me. This is my new personal best, too. The previous was 12, so that's 3 movies more! Cola and sweets really help, I don't feel tired at all. To be honest, I could keep going. I could probably get to around 20 if my life depended on it. But after 15, I'm starting to become jaded with films so I'd rather stop and continue watching tomorrow without losing the excitement. Anyway, time to sleep, as I haven't slept for like 24 hours. Goodnight.

PS: My 15th was a pink film with a zoophilia scene. I'm done with this sheet.

List of movies watched:
リョーマ! 新生劇場版テニスの王子様 [Ryoma! Rebirth The Prince of Tennis: The Movie] (2020) - 100 minutes
嘩鬼有限公司 [Ghost Busting] (1989) - 95 minutes
女學生與流氓鬼 [Kung Fu Student] (1989) - 89 minutes
Hello! 夜歸人 [Hello, Late Homecomers] (1978) - 97 minutes
97家有囍事 [All's Well, End's Well '97] (1997) - 90 minutes
雙肥臨門 [Double Fattiness] (1988) - 91 minutes
豪門夜宴 [The Banquet] (1991) - 97 minutes
笑星撞地球 [Sunshine Friends] (1990) - 90 minutes
Dobermann (1997) - 103 minutes
狂った野獣 [Crazed Beast] (1976) - 78 minutes
クライムハンター 怒りの銃弾 [Crime Hunter] (1989) - 58 minutes
Tenement [Game of Survival] (1985) - 91 minutes
ボディガード牙 [Bodyguard Kiba] (1973) - 89 minutes
危いことなら銭になる [Danger Pays] (1962) - 82 minutes
秋本ちえみの本番獣色 [Ruff Trade] (1985) - 61 minutes

TOTAL TIME: 1,311 mins = 21 Hours and 51 Minutes ~ almost 22 hours

Gone back to reading
I shall make it my life's mission to watch 16 some day!!!

Ended up with 15 (yes, fifteen) films watched in a row. Now that mark f is no longer with us, I don't think any of the current forumites can beat me. This is my new personal best, too. The previous was 12, so that's 3 movies more! Cola and sweets really help, I don't feel tired at all. To be honest, I could keep going. I could probably get to around 20 if my life depended on it. But after 15, I'm starting to become jaded with films so I'd rather stop and continue watching tomorrow without losing the excitement. Anyway, time to sleep, as I haven't slept for like 24 hours. Goodnight.

PS: My 15th was a pink film with a zoophilia scene. I'm done with this sheet.

List of movies watched:
リョーマ! 新生劇場版テニスの王子様 [Ryoma! Rebirth The Prince of Tennis: The Movie] (2020) - 100 minutes
嘩鬼有限公司 [Ghost Busting] (1989) - 95 minutes
女學生與流氓鬼 [Kung Fu Student] (1989) - 89 minutes
Hello! 夜歸人 [Hello, Late Homecomers] (1978) - 97 minutes
97家有囍事 [All's Well, End's Well '97] (1997) - 90 minutes
雙肥臨門 [Double Fattiness] (1988) - 91 minutes
豪門夜宴 [The Banquet] (1991) - 97 minutes
笑星撞地球 [Sunshine Friends] (1990) - 90 minutes
Dobermann (1997) - 103 minutes
狂った野獣 [Crazed Beast] (1976) - 78 minutes
クライムハンター 怒りの銃弾 [Crime Hunter] (1989) - 58 minutes
Tenement [Game of Survival] (1985) - 91 minutes
ボディガード牙 [Bodyguard Kiba] (1973) - 89 minutes
危いことなら銭になる [Danger Pays] (1962) - 82 minutes
秋本ちえみの本番獣色 [Ruff Trade] (1985) - 61 minutes

TOTAL TIME: 1,311 mins = 21 Hours and 51 Minutes ~ almost 22 hours

The trick is not minding
(Selected) Best Films I First Watched in 2023

Les misérables (1925)

15小时 [15 Hours] (2017)

Két elhatározás [A Quite Ordinary Life] (1978)

Hu-Man (1975)

寻找林昭的灵魂 [Searching for Lin Zhao's Soul] (2004)

The Yearling (1946)

映画 すみっコぐらし とびだす絵本とひみつのコ [Sumikko Gurashi the Movie: The Pop-Up Book and the Secret Child] (2019)

第50回全国高校野球選手権大会 青春 [Youth: The 50th National High School Baseball Tournament] (1968)

母情 [A Mother's Love] (1950)

I Remember Mama (1948)

The Strawberry Blonde (1941)

Penny Serenade (1941)

Wait Till the Sun Shines, Nellie (1952)

Les dernières fiançailles [The Last Betrothal] (1973)

Les Perses (1961)

The Mountain (1956)

私は二歳 [Being Two Isn't Easy] (1962)

破戒 [The Outcast] (1962)

雨あがる [After the Rain] (1999)

I'd Climb the Highest Mountain (1951)

Himmel und Erde [Heaven and Earth] (1982)

Glide of Transparency (2016)

パコと魔法の絵本 [Paco and the Magical Book] (2008)

牧野物語 養蚕編 映画のための映画 [Magino Story: Raising Silkworms] (1977)

関東無宿 [Kanto Wanderer] (1963)

宇宙からのメッセージ [Message From Space] (1978)

Very interesting list.

Rewatched Salo. Very pleasurable watch and flows really well. While other interpretations might be better/more interesting, the rewatch kinda makes me believe that this is indeed a film on fascism/tyranny/power.

A few interesting things:
  • No matter what you do, you cannot erase people's humanity. One girl remembers her mother, another keeps a photo under her pillow, two girls engage in lesbian coitus, a Communist romances the black maid. Something seemingly devised to take away all their humanity failed. The only way was utter destruction. But as long as they were alive, they kept some of their humanity.
  • The final scene shows that the soldiers, after participating in all the atrocities, can just dance and talk about a girlfriend. The thing is nearly over, they will return home very soon-- just like fascists and nazis returned to their families.

Raffaello's Cherubin and Pasolini's Salo

John of Kastav: Detail of the Dance Macabre fresco (1490) in the Holy Trinity Church in Hrastovlje, Slovenia and Pasolini's Salo

TIL Yamada was a communist

"Director Yoji Yamada is known to be a communist"

"Masahiko Tsugawa even criticized him at a Kyoto International Film Festival Preparation Committee meeting, saying, ``Yamada is a leftist who portrays samurai in a sloppy way.Japanese movies are ruined because of Yamada.'' Tsugawa also criticized Yamada on various programs."

"I am not sure of the 77 year old Yoji Yamada’s political associations today but the N.Y. Times reported in 1982 that he was “a member in good standing of Japan’s Communist Party” and usually tried to make “some reference in his films to man’s disaffection with society.”

"Yoji Yamada, an 80 year old who was once a member of the Japanese Communist Party"

"Although he never claimed any particular political involvement, even if he did occasionally support certain communist candidates, Yamada was always on the side of ordinary people."

How come a Japanese film from the freaking 1930s looks so perfect whereas countless films nowadays look so crap?!

The story is so moving, too.

The crane scene is incredible.

Might be my favorite silent Mizoguchi, but I need to sleep on it & probably rewatch Osaka Elegy & Sisters of the Gion.

Finding them is your little homework.

The more Japanese films I watch, the more I'm sure that not only is Japanese cinema the greatest ever (truism) but also the only thing I need.

Also, the more films with her I watch, the more I think Yoko Katsuragi might secretly be the most beautiful Japanese actress ever.

Rewatched Salo. Very pleasurable watch and flows really well. While other interpretations might be better/more interesting, the rewatch kinda makes me believe that this is indeed a film on fascism/tyranny/power.
Any analysis of Pasolini's Salo has to be political in nature as the film represented his thesis on power and tyranny, one that explicates the same arguments made by the Frankfurt/Marxist school of thought which were popular/fashionable in the 50s and 60s. It's very much an extension of Freudian psychoanalysis (in particular, the repression hypothesis) combined with the idea that capitalism functions in the same albeit accelerated way by repressing one's sexual desires, which then become expressed in terms of perversion within the individual's private life because the public sphere has now been governed mainly by instrumental reason. Hence, the excesses of human psyche which cannot be totalized are then re-directed towards perversion and violence/sadism.

However, such Freudian/Marxist interpretation of desire and capitalism is highly problematic - especially the implication that sexual deviance is an undesirable outcome of repressive power. That's what happens when they do not consider the productive effects of power, and conflate power with the oppression-repression complex. The more interesting analysis should begin with Marquis de Sade's text as a philosophical/literary treatise on sadomasochism, not independent of the socio-political sphere but one which recognizes the centrality of S&M in the human experience, instead of denigrating such practices or writing it off as a mere outcome of capitalism or fascism.