Best Horror Satire

Tools    

You have been Juged!!!!
What is the best horror satires (not spoof). My picks are....

Dawn of The Dead (Romero)
The Crazies
they Live
Land of the Dead
Videodrome
The Dead Zone(cronenberg)
Dellamorte Dellamore
Parents

What do you think.

Good thread topic. I don't know if I could pick one, but since it hasn't been mentioned, and since it's certainly among my favorites, I'll go with the Scream trilogy. Like most trilogies, the first was the best, the second rather poor, and the third was pretty good.

"Hello, Sidney."

by far the best part of the whole scream trilogy was parker posey in the third one.

as for my favorite, well that would be

... return of the living dead

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN

Shaun of the Dead

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein

The Fearless Vampire Killers
or: Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are in My Neck

Gremlins
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Adventure Starts Here!
Holden beat me to it.

Young Frankenstein, hands down. Still funny 32 years later. I'm not sure even the Scream trilogy will be as longlasting as the Brooks/Wilder masterpiece.

Scream
Gremlins
Lake Placid
The Scary Movies
They Live
Dracula: Dead and Loving It

Holden beat me to it.

Young Frankenstein, hands down. Still funny 32 years later. I'm not sure even the Scream trilogy will be as longlasting as the Brooks/Wilder masterpiece.
Ah, but this begs the question as to what "Best Horror Statire" means. Is it the best film among those that satire horror at all, or the ones whose satire is best? I was using the latter criteria. Under the former, I agree, Young Frankensteni is a no-brainer.

I'm not sure I understand your distinction, Yoda, but if I DO, then I think Young Frankenstein still succeeds on both levels. If you've never seen the original 1931 Frankenstein on which it's based (THE classic), then I urge you to see it. It'll make you appreciate Young Frankenstein through new eyes.

You do know they got permission to use the equipment from the original 1931 movie set, don't you?

The Fabulous Sausage Man
Either I'm fuzzy on the definition of satire, or you lot are. Isn't satire meant to make a certain, often political, point? A lot of the films being mentioned here just seemed to be silly parodies.

Anyway, my choice is absolutely definitely Dawn of the Dead (1978). Bride Of Frankenstein comes a very close second.

Either I'm fuzzy on the definition of satire, or you lot are. Isn't satire meant to make a certain, often political, point?
Nah; it's more or less a synonym for parody, though now that I think about it, people tend to prefer the word "satire" to parody when certain topics (like politics) are involved.

Well, yes, it has that more specific definition, but given the thread title, I was pretty sure the original poster didn't mean a political satire of any sort. I was pretty sure "parody" was what was meant.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Well, yes, it has that more specific definition, but given the thread title, I was pretty sure the original poster didn't mean a political satire of any sort. I was pretty sure "parody" was what was meant.
I hardly think he meant parody, especially considering that not a single film he listed could be considered a parody. Except maybe They Live. In fact, I'd go so far as to conjure that the majority of posters here, as Nexus said, are fuzzy on the distinction between Satire and Parody.

The two are very different words. Satire is the same across all genres - what people do, most likely the regrettable things, are integrated for narrative purpose. Parody spotlights and exploits conventions and expectations for comedy. That does not denote a lack of quality, rather purely motivated mockery.

Dawn of the Dead is satire. Young Frankenstein is parody. Scream is satire. Scary Movie is a parody.

I have trouble nitpicking the original poster's definition when his opening sentence has bad grammar and punctuation. (No offense to the poster -- just trying to make a point.)

Frankly, I'm not up for over-thinking this thread topic. Sorry.

Here's the definition I always went by: (from Merriam-Webster online dictionary)

Main Entry: sat·ire
Pronunciation: 'sa-"tI(-&)r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French or Latin; Middle French, from Latin satura, satira, perhaps from (lanx) satura dish of mixed ingredients, from feminine of satur well-fed; akin to Latin satis enough -- more at SAD
1 : a literary work holding up human vices and follies to ridicule or scorn
2 : trenchant wit, irony, or sarcasm used to expose and discredit vice or folly

Main Entry: 1par·o·dy
Pronunciation: 'per-&-dE, 'pa-r&-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -dies
Etymology: Latin parodia, from Greek parOidia, from para- + aidein to sing -- more at ODE
1 : a literary or musical work in which the style of an author or work is closely imitated for comic effect or in ridicule
2 : a feeble or ridiculous imitation

So if he means satire by this definition, wouldn't movies such as Shaun of The Dead and Scary Movie be satires?

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Shaun of the Dead is a delicate balance of satire and parody - reaching a rarely visited apex of comedic horror and social bitterness.

Scary Movie, however, is all imitation. It simply rides a plateau of genre conventions for broad appeal towards comedy. One could try and say it satirizes the horror genre, but that would be transforming the genre from a system of classification to an actual human being.

You have been Juged!!!!
I am sorry my gramer pissed so many of you off or confused any of you, but that's not the point. It's satire not parody or spoof. For an example, I don't know. Look at the movie's I posted, most are political in nature some are just cultural observations. That's what I ment, not the best horror comedy all though a lot of the time they are still very funny. Sorry to be so vague.