MadMikeyD's Top 100 Films

→ in
Tools    

I've arrived at a list of 100 movies I'm happy with at the moment. I'm sure I'll nitpick it to death before too long, but let's have a whack at it anyway...

100. Silverado (1985, Lawrence Kasdan)

Starring: Kevin Kline, Scott Glenn, Danny Glover, Kevin Costner, Brian Dennehy, John Cleese, Jeff Goldblum

A good, fun western and one of few I enjoyed when I was younger. I really like Kevin Costner in this picture, which I don't say a lot.

99. Harry and the Hendersons (1987, William Dear)

Starring: John Lithgow, Melinda Dillon, Don Ameche

Originally Posted by My Movie Thoughts thread
Harry and the Hendersons is a nice little family movie. It's funny and charming and an entertaining way to spend an hour and a half. I loved it as a kid and it holds up to rewatching as an adult. My kids now love it too. If this movie was remade today it would no doubt have a CGI sasquatch and lose the majority of its charm. If you've never seen it, it's worth a look. Especially if you have kids.
98. The Transformers - The Movie (1986, Nelson Shin)

Starring: Peter Cullen, Judd Nelson, Orson Welles, Robert Stack, Leonard Nimoy, Eric Idle, Lionel Stander

The REAL Transformers movie. This likely has to do with having seen this in the theater at the right age. I still tear up when Optimus Prime dies.

97. Star Wars - Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999, George Lucas)

Starring: Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Jake Lloyd

Hey, it's Star Wars. Unfortunately it couldn't live up to over 20 years of anticipation. I still managed to enjoy it at the time and still do.

96. Batman Forever (1995, Joel Schumacher)

Starring: Val Kilmer, Chris O'Donnell, Jim Carrey, Tommy Lee Jones, Nicole Kidman

Contrary to most, I enjoyed Val Kilmer's turn as Batman. I enjoyed the addition of Robin, who I've long seen as an essential part of the Batman mythos. Jim Carrey was also very good as the Riddler. I could've done without yet another woman discovering Batman's secret identity, but overall I enjoyed it.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Is this you trying to steal my thunder Mikey? Just like I did to Plainview and Ash!

Interesting start. I like Harry and the Hendersons and Batman Forever; Jim Carrey being a big reason for the latter. Big surprise going by my list eh?

Will need to catch Silverado at some point

I liked Forever a fair chunk, even just as a product of the 90s with the massive neon glow every shot had and plus Carrey and Jones are definitely having a great time hamming it up, hard not to enjoy. If it hadn't been a while since seeing it, I kinda have a guilty secret of it probably being my fav Bat film.

95. The Shining (1980, Stanley Kubrick)

Starring: Jack Nicholson, Shelly Duvall

Normally I don't like "horror" movies or Stanley Kubrick films (blasphemy, I know), but this is an exception. Nicholson is fantastic in this movie. Plus, it's more smart-scary than gore-scary, which I prefer in those horror-type films I do like.

94. Rain Man (1988, Barry Levinson)

Starring: Tom Cruise, Dustin Hoffman

A touching film with excellent performances from Hoffman and Cruise.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Rain Man is brilliant. Also loving Batman Forever and The Phantom Menace.

93. Jaws (1975, Steven Spielberg)

Starring: Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfuss

The original blockbuster. I lived in the midwest and was afraid of the water after I saw this.

92. RoboCop (1985, Paul Verhoeven)

Starring: Peter Weller, Nancy Allen, Ronny Cox, Kurtwood Smith

An unstoppable robot police officer and a liquified Red Foreman - what else do you need?

91. Die Hard (1988, John McTiernan)

Starring: Bruce Willis, Alan Rickman, Reginald Vel Johnson

The perfect "guy movie." Of course, Bruce Willis is awesome in this, but also Alan Rickman. Rickman is such a convincing villain that I now automatically assume he's evil in every film I see him in. Even the non-Harry Potter films.

90. Young Frankenstein (1974, Mel Brooks)

Starring: Gene Wilder, Marty Feldman, Peter Boyle, Terri Garr, Madeline Khan

Between "walk this way" and "Puttin' on the Ritz," what's not to love about this Brooks classic.

89. Beverly Hills Cop (1984, Martin Brest)

Starring: Eddie Murphy, Judge Reinhold, John Ashton

Yes, Eddie Murphy used to be funny. I always liked Judge Reinhold in these pictures too.

88. Star Wars - Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002, George Lucas)

Starring: Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Hayden Christensen

How could a kid who loved the originals not love seeing dozens of lightsabers flashing in epic battle scenes we could only have imagined 20 years before.

87. The Bitter Tea of General Yen (1933, Frank Capra)

Starring: Barbara Stanwyck, Nils Asher, Walter Connolly

One of Frank Capra's more daring films. Exotic locales and an interracial love story. For 1930s America this was out there. Capra pulled off a beautiful film though, and one that should be better remembered than it is.

86. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986, John Hughes)

Starring: Matthew Broderick, Alan Ruck, Jennifer Grey, Mia Sara

Most of us kids of the '80s wanted to be Ferris Bueller. Or at least know him so we could tag along. I wasn't Ferris, and I didn't know him either, but at least I was able to watch the film.

I did not care for Rain Man, I must admit. Hoffman was brilliant but the rest I found to be quite boring.

Episodes I and II were good films, never 100% understood why everybody hated on them so much.

Man I still need to watch Rain Man.

I'm liking a lot of your films so far. I especially love Die Hard and Beverly Hills Cop. Ferris Bueller just missed my list. And Young Frankenstein would probably have been on it but I haven't seen in it so long that I couldn't remember it well enough to decide where it would go. Was going to watch it before posting the list but never got round to it

I did however forget to consider Jaws for my list.

Did you really just pfft me?!

Episodes I and II were good films, never 100% understood why everybody hated on them so much.
Oh, I understand why people don't like them. The magic that was the original trilogy isn't there in the prequels. After 20+ years of anticipation people wanted to relive that experience of being a kid and seeing it for the first time. It didn't happen. I had already accepted that fact before seeing Episode I. I just went in looking for an enjoyable movie that expanded the story and that my kids would like. Those expectations were met, and now, thanks to The Clone Wars, my kids prefer the prequel era to the original trilogy.

85. Lost Horizon (1937, Frank Capra)

Starring: Ronald Colman, Jane Wyatt

Another "risky" Frank Capra picture. He had already won two Best Director awards, but they were for comedies - It Happened One Night and Mr. Deeds Goes to Town. He was Columbia's top director, though, so he could pretty much do what he wanted. A departure of sorts for Capra, but still a beautiful film with terrific performances.

84. Miracle on 34th Street (1947, George Seaton)

Starring: Edmund Gwenn, Maureen O'Hara, Natalie Wood

If you don't believe in Santa Claus, watch this movie. A fantastic Christmas film. Ignore the sub-par remakes.
*Interesting trivia tidbit - Director George Seaton was the original radio Lone Ranger, under his real name, George Stenius.

83. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990, Steve Barron)

Starring: Judith Joag, Elias Koteas, Josh Pias, Corey Feldman, Brian Tochi, Robbie Rist, Kevin Clash

I like the Ninja Turtles. This first film is easily the best of the series. The film did a fantastic job of not only following the original comic book storyline but also incorporating elements of the cartoon series for fans who were not familiar with the Turtles' comic origins. It's as near a perfect blend of the two versions as you can get. Plus, it's just a load of fun.

82. Big (1988, Penny Marshall)

Starring: Tom Hanks, Elizabeth Perkins

Tom Hanks is wonderful as the little kid who gets his wish to be big. More innocent and subdued than guys like Adam Sandler or Will Ferrell or Jack Black, who pretty much made careers out of playing this part, but without a plot to explain it.

81. The Sandlot (1993, David Mickey Evans)

Starring: Tim Guiry, Mike Vitar

Fun nostalgia film. The film is set during a time when I wasn't even born, but it still takes me back to my days running around the neighborhood with my friends.

Seems like we have quite a few films in common. I obviously love Big and The Sandlot. And I adore the Turtles. Always have, always will

Making a Top 10 List is Hard..

Here are mine

1. Little Miss Sunshine
2. The Champ (1979)
3. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
4. Human Traffic
5. Rocky II
6. Snatch
7. A Bronx Tale
8. The Shawshank Redemption
9. Boyz N the Hood
10. Dead Poets Society