Subjective Vs. Objective, can film be "bad"?

Tools    

I'm just throwing this out here because I just spent the past hour watching what I felt like was a very bad movie and then I got the shock of my life when I read something online just a moment ago. Maybe someone can help me.

I bought Animal House today. The John Landis college frat house movie. I had never seen it before and it just came out on Blu-ray. I knew it was popular and well liked and I figured it must be a pretty good movie.

I felt like I was watching one of the Police Academy movies! I am sorry for saying this word, but RETARDED! I did laugh a couple of times, but it felt like a very bad movie to me, something so juvenile and idiotic and beneath me. I did, however, feel a sense that this was some kind of timeless piece of art that was culturally significant, but I couldn't believe how incredibly bored I was for most of the time and the movie just felt so... terribly put together, incoherent and random. I berated myself for buying this thing -- how foolish was I to get this movie when I hadn't even read one review for it? I just automatically assumed it was worth buying and boy, did I feel dumb right along with the movie! I shut it off without finishing it.

Then I go onto Roger Ebert's website. I search Animal House. I'm expecting to see "Zero Stars" like he gave Police Academy. What did I see for his rating of Animal House? F--ing FOUR out of FOUR stars! He gave it the best rating possible! I felt like I was in a movie review Twilight Zone! How can this be????!!!!! I haven't really read through all of his review yet -- I'm still recovering. But snippets I did see had me so shocked and so confused. What did I miss from Animal House??? What do you guys think of it? Can this be used as an example in this thread? I really cannot believe Roger Ebert gave it such a high rating. This is the weirdest thing ever to me. I should have known it was going to suck -- Harold Ramis wrote it and he wrote Year One, which I think is probably about the worst movie I have ever seen.

I am so confused now. I don't know how to review a movie anymore. I am having a movie meltdown!

The only criteria that I believe a movie should be judged on is all of the technical and creative aspects that were brought to the film, as well as how the actors performed their parts. The technical are things like how the film was photographed, what sort of things went into the film to make it visually impressive, how the sound is, etc. The creative deals with the entertainment side -- the formation of the story, the plot, how interesting it is throughout, etc. The creative side can be difficult to judge and is more open to subjective opinions. The acting is, of course, making sure that you don't have Anna Nicole Smith-like performances throughout, because why shoot a movie and let bad acting slide?

I feel that the most subjective matter concerning a movie is the content -- what does the movie deal with, what are its issues, what sort of things does it show us, what are its messages, its philosophy, its reality and so on. This, to me, is the realm that invites only those watching that want to be invited, that accept whatever kind of invitation the movie has. This is an area where people's preferences, prejudices and personal psychologies will come into play and roads will open up where the viewer will either travel to a dead end street (meaning, they don't like or care for the film) or they travel to a vast, spacious, harmonious substitute reality that reflects a room inside their own inner world. They have become in sync with the message or the values or just the overall chemistry of what the movie is and they are a match with it. If the movie they love was a bag of blood, you could give it to them, because they and the movie would be the same blood type.

I believe that one of the greatest errors of any movie critic is to judge a movie based on its actual values and message and content and not the more technical and creative aspects. It's like with horror movies (speaking of blood again) -- I've noticed that Roger Ebert used to be quite vocal about hating slasher movies and such just because it's nothing but vile, disgusting, dark and depressing messages to the youth about how you can't plan for the future or anything because Jason Voorhees or Freddy Krueger are gonna get you before you turn 18. I don't feel that his opinion is something that is wrong, but if you're going to give the movie a half a star out of four just because of these opinions, you're doing it out of your own prejudice. Meanwhile, some nauseating happy-fest film will get four stars. To me, this is bad film criticism. It is just so apparent to me that movies are judged, first and foremost, on a technical aspect, but secondly, with a strong personal agenda. This is what, to me, erodes a good swimming pool of cinematic discussion and even life discussion -- dismissals of things you don't agree with leads to stagnation and rust and puts film and philosophy evolution into a coma. I know I am guilty of this a lot myself (well, probably) in my own reviews of movies, but I am just saying this because it is what I believe to be true and I know that I should be more open and adaptable to different film experiences as well.

But... with all that said, I think that movie criticism is also in its own way a form of entertainment and that it's not fun to have all movie critics be robots that spout the same kind of opinions from their lips or fingertips. Want to read a movie reviewer who speaks mostly about the amount of sexy male celebrity screentime in the film? Go to me. But I do think that, with very serious film discussion, what I was just talking about applies.
This is exactly what I was trying to say to the guy! Only I think I sucked at getting it out...

He claims that even acting cannot be quantified in a "good or bad" sense. I kept pointing out Catwoman and Plan Nine From Outer Space, but obviously I was missing something. Maybe I was missing coherent thought.

Sorry, but I loled at the Animal House story. I haven't seen that film since I was in high school, so I may not think too highly of it. I just assumed it would be like The Kentucky Fried Movie for me, where I liked it when I was 16 but now it's just really dumb.

Anyway, all good points from everyone. I'd be interested in hearing a more detailed counter argument to the above!

I'd be interested in hearing a more detailed counter argument to the above!
Me too, but Chi Chi told me to get away from her street corner.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I disagree with pretty much all of you.

Well, there's better at being a film, and then there's better at just sort of being a curiosity. Car attacks aren't "better" than driving normally, but we're way more interested in them when we go by. I'd say that bad films are still bad, but have an appeal outside of their value as movies. Its value is on a different scale.
That's a very odd comparison, and not a very good one. Would people pay money to watch people "drive normally" and is it not possible to crash your car while doing so? Actually, it is the other way around. People DO pay money to watch car crashes on the screen every day - the spectators want the spectacle. This is called the action genre and it also happens to be the genre I dislike the most (in fierce competition with another spectacle genre - the musical). But since many action films make huge profits for the production companies I think we can draw the conclusion that lots of people like these films - they think they're good. Critics, on the other hand, tend to give these films low ratings - they think they're bad. Are these films good or bad? Are they "car crashes" or "driving normally"?

Is The Brown Bunny (2003) by Vincent Gallo a good or bad film? Laughed and booed at during the screening on the Cannes festival and Roger Ebert calling it the worst film in the history of the festival - ever. The mode value on imdb is 10/10 and the second mode value is 1/10. Is The Brown Bunny a good or bad film? Is it interesting or uninteresting?

To me the terms good film and bad film are becoming more and more irrelevant. If people didn't constantly ask me whether I thought a film was good or bad I probably wouldn't use them very often. Ten years ago or so my morning paper began to add ratings on their film reviews - and in that second, they went from film critique to product information. I had a favorite critic (Jan Aghed) who'd been writing for the paper for ages. I remember that you could read a review by him - really interesting and intriguing - and afterwards you didn't have a clue if he liked the film or not. That's an art form.

I find it hard to believe one can draw a comparison between bad and interesting in art. I never want to watch The Room again, wish I never did. I don't see bad things as interesting. Car accidents are not art, they're humans that can't drive. Bad humans are interesting.
What you're saying is that bad can't equal interesting, which means that interesting is good. Which is what I'm saying too, an interesting film can't be dismissed as entirely bad.

I believe in the concept of objective film criticism, but the Japanese Me or the Nigerian Me would undoubtedly have a different concept of objectivity than I would. This would be based on different personal experiences, so in that way, it's difficult to champion the concept of objectivity in any artistic appraisal. However, I'm also sure there are very bad films, many of them agreed upon by most viewers. The funny thing is that I believe that some of these bad films are also the most-critically praised, so I don't believe a consensus opinion is an objective one either. I will say though that there has always been a critical standard (or multiple ones) in which critics would discuss the quality of certain films. It's just that as time goes by, it's amazing how what was considered weak in the past is now considered a good thing. I'm talking about incomprehensible storytelling, lousy acting, crap photography, boring dialogue, ridiculous endings (or even worse, non-endings), etc. It seems that nowadays, you just turn on a camera and all of a sudden you're an auteur who deserves respect because you can figure out the On/Off button.
No offense, but you're kind of saying that films that are challenging your mind set on what makes a good film good are basically fake and a case of the empereror's new clothes. I'm sure the technical evolution has made it possible for more people to make their own films, with various results. But I don't recognize what your saying about everyone being an auteur all of a sudden. Can you give some examples?

I have seen lots of great films with open endings (or "non endings"). And can you give some examples of films that you think have "incomprehensible storytelling, lousy acting, crap photography, boring dialogue, ridiculous endings" that are considered good? To me, that sounds like one of the thirteen-on-the-dozen films that Hollywood spews out every year.

The bottom line is that when I read someone's opinion on why something is good or bad, I take everything they say as a way to form my own opinion of theirs. I don't just look at whether I agree with their specific comments about the movie, but I consider their vocabulary, their seeming knowledge of the subject matter and its history, what they know about the cast, writer, director, etc. I also try to determine if they have a sense of humor or are just way too solemn. Film criticism is certainly "more serious" than just "chatting" about your opinions, but it should be light enough to be able to adjust the discussion in various ways. Hopefully that discussion won't turn into something juvenile, self-serving or off-putting. Then again, I'm starting to sound like a serious old fart right about now, and I've backed away from many discussions about this exact subject here recently.
This I agree with. I regard myself to have above the average knowledge about film but I'm certainly no expert - and I have many blank spots. But the way I engage in a discussion about film with someone depends as much on the film knowledge of the other person as on my own knowledge. It's not a competition. I wouldn't learn anything new if I didn't listen to what the other person has to say just because I consider myself to "know better".

The only criteria that I believe a movie should be judged on is all of the technical and creative aspects that were brought to the film, as well as how the actors performed their parts. The technical are things like how the film was photographed, what sort of things went into the film to make it visually impressive, how the sound is, etc. The creative deals with the entertainment side -- the formation of the story, the plot, how interesting it is throughout, etc. The creative side can be difficult to judge and is more open to subjective opinions. The acting is, of course, making sure that you don't have Anna Nicole Smith-like performances throughout, because why shoot a movie and let bad acting slide?
Yes. And no. I think you're kind of right, but I think the technical side is open for subjective interpretations and judgements just as much as the creative aspects. And I also think it's hard to seperate the technical and the creative aspects - even if I understand what you mean; the technical side has to do with cameras and computers while the creative has to do with stories and actors.

An example: The Blair Witch Project (1999) by Myrick and Sánchez, which is one of the cleverest movies ever made, in my opinion (and VERY good, too). The technical aspects of the film are nothing special - and that's kind of the point. They're part of the creative aspects to create the illusion of that we're watching a documentary. I was absolutely blown away by the brilliance of this film when it came out, but today - when there's been so many fake documentaries and mockumentaries - my guess is that kids that watch it for the first time don't see the genius of it (I was sad to see that it merely got a lousy 6.3 rating at imdb).

Another example is Bloody Sunday (2002) by Paul Greengrass. Shot with handheld cameras and with deliberaty gritty photo and with real soldiers playing soldiers, Greengrass aimed at a realism that he couldn't have achieved with classical Hollywood filmmaking techniques.

The rest of your post was really interesting, Sexy, but I will have to respond to it on a later time (I'm at work... ).

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I disagree with pretty much all of you.

That's a very odd comparison, and not a very good one. Would people pay money to watch people "drive normally" and is it not possible to crash your car while doing so? Actually, it is the other way around. People DO pay money to watch car crashes on the screen every day - the spectators want the spectacle. This is called the action genre and it also happens to be the genre I dislike the most (in fierce competition with another spectacle genre - the musical). But since many action films make huge profits for the production companies I think we can draw the conclusion that lots of people like these films - they think they're good. Critics, on the other hand, tend to give these films low ratings - they think they're bad. Are these films good or bad? Are they "car crashes" or "driving normally"?

Is The Brown Bunny (2003) by Vincent Gallo a good or bad film? Laughed and booed at during the screening on the Cannes festival and Roger Ebert calling it the worst film in the history of the festival - ever. The mode value on imdb is 10/10 and the second mode value is 1/10. Is The Brown Bunny a good or bad film? Is it interesting or uninteresting?

To me the terms good film and bad film are becoming more and more irrelevant. If people didn't constantly ask me whether I thought a film was good or bad I probably wouldn't use them very often. Ten years ago or so my morning paper began to add ratings on their film reviews - and in that second, they went from film critique to product information. I had a favorite critic (Jan Aghed) who'd been writing for the paper for ages. I remember that you could read a review by him - really interesting and intriguing - and afterwards you didn't have a clue if he liked the film or not. That's an art form.

What you're saying is that bad can't equal interesting, which means that interesting is good. Which is what I'm saying too, an interesting film can't be dismissed as entirely bad.

No offense, but you're kind of saying that films that are challenging your mind set on what makes a good film good are basically fake and a case of the empereror's new clothes. I'm sure the technical evolution has made it possible for more people to make their own films, with various results. But I don't recognize what your saying about everyone being an auteur all of a sudden. Can you give some examples?

I have seen lots of great films with open endings (or "non endings"). And can you give some examples of films that you think have "incomprehensible storytelling, lousy acting, crap photography, boring dialogue, ridiculous endings" that are considered good? To me, that sounds like one of the thirteen-on-the-dozen films that Hollywood spews out every year.

This I agree with. I regard myself to have above the average knowledge about film but I'm certainly no expert - and I have many blank spots. But the way I engage in a discussion about film with someone depends as much on the film knowledge of the other person as on my own knowledge. It's not a competition. I wouldn't learn anything new if I didn't listen to what the other person has to say just because I consider myself to "know better".

Yes. And no. I think you're kind of right, but I think the technical side is open for subjective interpretations and judgements just as much as the creative aspects. And I also think it's hard to seperate the technical and the creative aspects - even if I understand what you mean; the technical side has to do with cameras and computers while the creative has to do with stories and actors.

An example: The Blair Witch Project (1999) by Myrick and Sánchez, which is one of the cleverest movies ever made, in my opinion (and VERY good, too). The technical aspects of the film are nothing special - and that's kind of the point. They're part of the creative aspects to create the illusion of that we're watching a documentary. I was absolutely blown away by the brilliance of this film when it came out, but today - when there's been so many fake documentaries and mockumentaries - my guess is that kids that watch it for the first time don't see the genius of it (I was sad to see that it merely got a lousy 6.3 rating at imdb).

Another example is Bloody Sunday (2002) by Paul Greengrass. Shot with handheld cameras and with deliberaty gritty photo and with real soldiers playing soldiers, Greengrass aimed at a realism that he couldn't have achieved with classical Hollywood filmmaking techniques.

The rest of your post was really interesting, Sexy, but I will have to respond to it on a later time (I'm at work... ).
I almost stopped reading when you said that you don't like action films or musicals.

However, I continued and I have some issues (of course). First, I think acting can be just as technical as any other aspect of film. Yes, it's far more subjective than something like bad camera work, but most people can tell a bad performance when they see one.

Also, people can see a bad story when there's one on the screen (The Happening?). They can see a forced ending or a Deus Ex Machina, even if they don't know what that specifically is.

While all aspects of film are subjective to one's taste, I still maintain that there are benchmark films that reach a level of believability, sincerity and technical perfection that other films could strive for. Now, not all films have to be Citizen Kane or (one of my favorite films) Fellini's 8 1/2. But when you watch a film like Plan Nine From Outer Space, how can you say it's the artists interpretation to have terrible acting and tombstones that wobble like cardboard, or that the film is only subjectively bad?

By the way, do you really not like Raiders of the Lost Ark? The Dark Knight? Die Hard? Lethal Weapon? The Matrix? The Sound of Music? The Wizard of Oz? Fiddler on the Roof? Seriously?!?!?!?

Also, what made you fall so in love with The Blair Witch Project? There were mockumentaries before it like This is Spinal Tap, Zelig, and A Hard Day's Night.

It's not supposed to be a perfect analogy, it's simply illustrating that "good" and "bad" are context-sensitive words. What makes for good driving does not necessarily make for good entertainment, and vice-versa. Bad films are bad films, but that doesn't mean they're not good in some other way, which is to say, not good as a film, but good as an excuse to make fun of something with your friends.

It'd be like asking if beer was a good drink. Good for what? Quenching your thirst? No way. Good for relaxing? Yep. Similarly, entertainingly bad films don't become good films; they're good in a different way.

By the way, a good example of this distinction is that people say "so bad it's good." They never just say "good." They qualify the way in which it's good because they know calling it a "good" film is not what they're usually trying to convey when something is stupid, but entertaining.

Ditto for people who refer to a film as a "guilty pleasure." It means they like watching it but acknowledge it's not very good as an example of its art form.

I think Blair Witch is an example of a movie that mark f thinks is completely overblown with bad cinematography, acting, dialog, storytelling and so forth. I actually agree with you about Blair Witch, or at least I did when it came out (I'd need to see it again).

For my part I've also tried to stay out of several similar aesthetic discussions, because it tends to become a competition to stereotype your opponent's aesthetic-beliefs into one of two idiotic camps (the pretentious, self-deceiving liars vs. the myopic, intolerant douche-bags.) On the other hand I think it might be a good thing to approach this from the objective/subjective angle rather than the art/entertainment or foreign/hollywood framework, for a change. At the very least we might be able to come up with some new idiotic caricatures, the old ones are getting kind of boozy and incontinent.

By the way, a good example of this distinction is that people say "so bad it's good." They never just say "good." They qualify the way in which it's good because they know calling it a "good" film is not what they're usually trying to convey when something is stupid, but entertaining.

Ditto for people who refer to a film as a "guilty pleasure." It means they like watching it but acknowledge it's not very good as an example of its art form.
Okay, if not "so bad it's good", how do you class irony? How do you class other meta-textual devices?

Going back to the example of Blair Witch, a large part of the experience is clearly the framing of it as a found object, that it's implying a world outside the frame (that it may or may not be a good movie itself is irrelevant, since there could be plenty of other examples to illustrate this question) or do you place that sort of thing as outside of the metrics we use to evaluate film?

I'm not sure why we need something other than "so bad it's good." I'm not saying people shouldn't say that, I'm saying the fact that they say it shows that they realize it's not quite right to just say "good" in those circumstances.

I'm suggesting that we need something other than "so bad it's good" because there are cases (arguably like Blair Witch) that might not fit normal ideas of good and bad, but which also don't really fit the idea of "I'm enjoying it by laughing at how bad it is." Unless you're saying that you think it does fit under the normal meaning of good and bad, or that those sorts of devices could be legit metrics to rate? I'm not really sure where I stand on this or if I'm making any sense at this point.

Ah, I see. Yeah, personally I thought The Blair Witch Project was just good, for the simple reason that it was a horror film that scared me, and in the fact that it felt authentic enough to pass for reality and suspend my disbelief (and that of a lot of others who bought into the idea that it was real).

It's absolutely true, as you say Mark said, that the camera work is bad. It is, of course, supposed to be bad. And it's equally true that some people just won't be able to get past that and enjoy it, and others will. I can sympathize: I despite "shakycam" in most of its incarnations.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't think of The Blair Witch Project as some special exception. People will disagree about whether shaking the camera will add realism or frustration, and sometimes it'll be worth it and sometimes it won't. I don't think that's too different from other opinions about other films, which are often about other tradeoffs, albeit subtler ones.

This is a really interesting thread.

And I gotta say, while I actually completely understand Sexy's rendition of how a film should be criticized, I have to say - it is NOT how I look at or criticize film. I think there are two ways to look at a film: technical aspects and substance. The technical aspects would be everything from direction, production, editing, acting, lighting, cinematography, location, etc. The substantive aspect(s) would be the the story the finished product tells, and whether or not the platform (technicalities) can carry the weight of the story (substance). To me, the substance is of greater importance than the technicalities, and its win or loss carries the day, and either justifies or condemns the technicalities.

Because isn't there a point to all this technical brilliance? If you come to my house for dinner to taste my famous roast duck, you might linger over and even mention the niceties like table linen, china, silverware, and the drink selection - but no matter how astonishingly beautiful the locale, how stunning the table setup, how amiable the company - if the dinner sucks, or is even an average dinner, you're going to leave thinking the meal missed the mark. Conversely, you could be a sushi lover and go to Nobu in South Beach, and have a "meh" night - you could go the next night to a buddy's place in the poorer section of town, who could make you a plate of the best sushi you've ever tasted - meantime the paints coming off the walls, you hear the neighbors yelling at each other, and there's no air conditioning - but the food is exquisite.

We discuss the technicalities in reference to the story. They exist because of the story - not the other way around. If I watch Rachel Ray and talk with my friends about how to make her recipes, we might become food/kitchen aficianados, or our own personal chef. But the chef is a chef because s/he's making something. If something isnt produced in that kitchen that tastes good and wows the eater, then the chef is mediocre, and truthfully, the general eating public could really care less what sauce s/he used or the spices s/he got wrong or right. All they know is that they want to go back there, and they want to tell their friends about it.

Im that gal. Im the Jane Q. Public eating the dinner, and frankly, I dont really care about the lighting, the direction, the production, the music score, save to degree that they FAIL to fade into the background and gel in such a way that the movie entrances me into forgetting they even exist. To me, my awareness of those technical aspects is a testament to the failure of the movie/story to completely enthrall the viewer. Wholly different is the idea that once enthralled, I then, out of awe, go back and sift through the distinct parts of the film to try and figure out what they did so well.

So yeah. to me:

1. the best technical work done is the work that never comes to mind, and I dont even know existed.

2. a compelling (enthralling) story makes up for a world of monetary and technical deficiencies. period.

3. all the money and technical expertise in the world cant save a film whose story is trash. ["oooooh, wasnt his camerawork in that movie just divine?". ... ... .. "what movie? oh you mean that B- movie? what was the name of that movie again?"]

you still need a good story, and since that is so, to my mind, the opinions, emotions, and mental state of the viewer does matter.

I almost stopped reading when you said that you don't like action films or musicals.

However, I continued and I have some issues (of course). First, I think acting can be just as technical as any other aspect of film. Yes, it's far more subjective than something like bad camera work, but most people can tell a bad performance when they see one.
Acting is a technical process just as camera work, I agree. Also, camera work is a creatvie process just as acting.

About universal agreements regarding "bad performances". If you had adapted Bertolt Brecht's style - epic theater - from the stage to a conventional movie - would people have been able to tell the difference of the anti naturalist Brechtian style from a "bad performance"? If you had beamed Mary Pickford's best performances from the silent era and had her do her stuff, exactly in the same way but in a contemporary film - would we have applauded her performance or dismissed her as just ridiculous or, at best, funny?

Sure, I'm aware of that there are performances that a majority of the audience think is crap. But I definitely think it comes down to subjective taste a lot more than most people (here) believe.

Also, people can see a bad story when there's one on the screen (The Happening?). They can see a forced ending or a Deus Ex Machina, even if they don't know what that specifically is.

While all aspects of film are subjective to one's taste, I still maintain that there are benchmark films that reach a level of believability, sincerity and technical perfection that other films could strive for. Now, not all films have to be Citizen Kane or (one of my favorite films) Fellini's 8 1/2. But when you watch a film like Plan Nine From Outer Space, how can you say it's the artists interpretation to have terrible acting and tombstones that wobble like cardboard, or that the film is only subjectively bad?
What you're saying is, that with a better budget Plan 9 From Outer Space would been a good or at least decent film instead of "the worst film ever" (= the biggest cult film ever). A lot of people like to watch low budget b-movies because of the fact that here's someone who's devoted enough to work day and night for free to produce this little film that they know that nobody will probably want to see. That's passion and some people are charmed by it. It's punk rock, damn it!

And I have never understood the difference between no budget b-movie and a really REALLY bad dumb action film that attracts a considerable audience just because someone blew $ 100 million on explosions and car chases. Some people like b-movies and some people like Vin Diesel - it's subjectivity over objectivity.

By the way, do you really not like Raiders of the Lost Ark? The Dark Knight? Die Hard? Lethal Weapon? The Matrix? The Sound of Music? The Wizard of Oz? Fiddler on the Roof? Seriously?!?!?!?
Oh of course, there's great, really smart action movies and wonderful musicals. But, in general, it's genres that doesn't interest me very much.

I love Raiders of the Lost Ark, however I thought the newest Indy film was not good at all. Die Hard - love it. Matrix - one of the best movie theater experiences of my life. My favorite 80's action film is Predator - I can see it over and over again. Same with the first Conan film. But other Schwartzenegger films from that era I only find amusing, probably in the same way as others are amused by Plan 9.

Musicals, there are a few that I like. Wizard of Oz is one of them. Could be a phase I'm going through though. Maybe I should give the genre another go. But aren't they a bit like porn? The story is secondary to the numbers.

Also, what made you fall so in love with The Blair Witch Project? There were mockumentaries before it like This is Spinal Tap, Zelig, and A Hard Day's Night.
Well, I'm not sure. I guess I just found it exciting. Scary and thrilling. I like how you don't get to see a witch or any other monster. To me that's what make most horror films only half-good, as soon as you see what's causing all the horror, the spell is kind of broken. "Oh, it was the jealous ex-boyfriend, not the devil".

Then I am very impressed with how they made the whole project. They released a "real documentary" that the movie was supposed to be based on. I think they had a website, which wasn't that common back then (I could be very misinformed). It had all kinds of stuff there that made you wonder if maybe, just maybe, there was some truth behind all this (ok, I was a lot younger then, but anyway). And they did it with a very modest budget. Actually, I think it's the film of all time that has grossed the most compared to the budget of the film.

I don't know, I guess I just bought the whole concept. The examples you mentioned are not the same thing. They're mockumentaries, and everybody knows this. The concept of The Blair Witch Project was to make people wonder about it. And back then, a little part of me did wonder a little, I think.

I agree with Yoda on The Blair Witch. I wish Pidzilla hadn't brought it up as an example. It's not a bad film. All the technical aspects that are bad are done so with purpose. Sure, it's not to some people's taste, but it's not a bad movie.

Watch Catwoman, Wild Wild West, Plan Nine, Troll 1 & 2, or The Room to see genuinely bad things. From terrible stories to acting to effects to writing to poor aesthitic choices (Halle Berry acting like a cat!?!?!), those films cover it all!

EDIT: Too much good information posted while I wrote this nonsense! Thanks to all for the debate, I love it! Mack's point about story trumping all is, IMO, a very poignant one!

I still think the best answer to my question lies somewhere in the middle.

I agree with Yoda on The Blair Witch. I wish Pidzilla hadn't brought it up as an example. It's not a bad film. All the technical aspects that are bad are done so with purpose. Sure, it's not to some people's taste, but it's not a bad movie.

Watch Catwoman, Wild Wild West, Plan Nine, Troll 1 & 2, or The Room to see genuinely bad things. From terrible stories to acting to effects to writing to poor aesthitic choices (Halle Berry acting like a cat!?!?!), those films cover it all!
I'm glad Pidzilla brought up Blair Witch because I think it's interesting and telling where people who share a belief in objectivity in the arts (or subjectivity, I'm not trying to pick on anyone for that matter) disagree. Animal House is another one I'm pretty sure would be contended and that people who like it won't necessarily break down easily along subjective/objective lines.

I haven't seen Plan Nine, but if you want another example that might be a little more agreed on than Blair Witch, I think there's more to Glen or Glenda than the laughable production values. I'd have to see it again before I'm really willing to step up and give a detailed explanation for why it might not be bad, though.

It's not supposed to be a perfect analogy, it's simply illustrating that "good" and "bad" are context-sensitive words. What makes for good driving does not necessarily make for good entertainment, and vice-versa. Bad films are bad films, but that doesn't mean they're not good in some other way, which is to say, not good as a film, but good as an excuse to make fun of something with your friends.

It'd be like asking if beer was a good drink. Good for what? Quenching your thirst? No way. Good for relaxing? Yep. Similarly, entertainingly bad films don't become good films; they're good in a different way.
Well, I understand what you're saying and you are, in a way, right since I guess most people would agree with you. Still, I think the definitions we make are far, far more subjectivity based than we give them credit for. I think we could talk about good or bad craftsmanship in filmmaking. But then again, good or bad under which conditions and, more importantly, on what budget? If you have a lot of time and money, but no real artistic ambitions, you could get away with lot of things. But with lots of artistic ambitions but almost no time or money, you can work your butt off, and there's a big chance that most people will still only laugh at your work.

Yes, I know. But we're still talking about conventions and agreed on definitions. You know what you're supposed to think about a certain film, and that's why you use those expressions. You would never hear a child say "it's so bad it's good". For a child, it's just "I liked it" or "BOOOOH!!!".

I loved Rambo (2008) and 300 (2006). I guess I could call them guilty pleasures because in many crowds they are not polticially correct, to put it mildly. But not only that, I know people who were or would be sincerely appalled by these films. The ultra violent and graphic content disgusts them, but I love them just because they are so over the top and so artistically (300) and professionally (Rambo) executed. They're like a roller coaster ride - no brain, just pure fun.

At the same time, though, I think they are both interesting films to analyze on a deeper level. But that's another story...

Okay. I would like to say something now about The Blair Witch Project because I almost did in my "Sexy's Top 100: 2011 Edition" thread -- I was going to edit it and write about each film, but I stopped myself. Don't think I'll go back and do it, either. Anyways, I have never seen the mockumentaries like This is Spinal Tap and the other two you mentioned, but based on what I know about them and Blair Witch, they are not the same style.

I feel that Blair Witch has a certain style that worked and made it a good movie. When I first saw it on opening day in the summer of 1999, it did not really scare me and I didn't feel like it was all that great as it was promoted to be. But I did enjoy the movie. It was entertaining. It was fun. I found the characters to be interesting. So, anyways, twelve years have gone by since its release. Where the HELL did the time go?! I swear, that feels like only yesterday. Anyway, Blair Witch isn't a movie I've watched a lot, but I've watched it sporadically throughout the years since its release. It was the first DVD I ever had -- and I still have it!

Cut to the chase -- Blair Witch, as far as I know, has not been imitated. Why? No other shaky cam horror films remind me of Blair Witch.Blair Witch is disturbingly brutally accurate with its realism compared to most other crap out there. Now, I still haven't seen the Paranormal Activity movies, so I don't know how great - or bad - they are. I have heard high praise, but there's something about them that just hasn't attacted me to them. I hate ghost movies. I don't believe in ghosts. I grew up believing in ghosts and I feared them all the time as a child, but my inner scientist has come to accept and embrace a ghostless world. Although, I think Paranormal Activity deals with a demon, but whatever -- it looks like a ghost movie. It looks like all of those ridiculous "Ghost Hunter" type shows on TV that aren't scary and aren't interesting and is making America more stupid than ever. But back to Blair Witch -- I'm STILL not sure what's going on in that house when Heather finds Mike just standing there in the corner. Hearing her scream his name and seeing that strange image followed by the camera dropping has, I guess, haunted me in some way ever since. It didn't do much for me at first, but it lingers. That is a very intriguing movie. The movie does more for me, personally, because I actually visited Burkittsville, MD. after the movie came out. I went to the graveyard and I actually met the woman who appears at the beginning of Blair Witch 2 -- she was selling stick figures and rocks (and blankets) outside her house. We spoke about horror films, Alfred Hitchcock, etc. I was 15.

I just feel like that movie has stood the test of time well. It's not strong culturally anymore -- you can't go somewhere and find Blair Witch merchandise as easily as say, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but this is a good thing. It's still well loved by people here -- I've seen it on many favorites lists. It will probably get a reassessment someday and pass with flying colors and suddenly be big again. It'll probably happen, maybe, once this craze with idiotic ghost stories and crappy "realistic" horror ends -- they'll run out of fuel and start looking back at the Gods to get inspiration, as they usually do. While Blair Witch might have began a so-called trend with camcorder horror, nothing has imitated it. There has never been anything that felt like Blair Witch. Why? Because Blair Witch feels like an actual documentary with real people. Everything else feels so scriped and phoney. I believe a lot of Blair Witch was authentic and unscripted, wasn't it? Wasn't it like some sort of bizarre game where the actors knew they were doing a movie, but they were left uncertain of what was gonna happen and didn't see any crew around them except themselves? Everything that has come since Blair Witch is doing nothing but purposely feeding into the public's fascination with ghosts and the supernatural and isn't really trying to do something homegrown and organic. When Blair Witch came out, it was an event, but it was a unique event that nobody really understood. Everyone was so caught offguard that they didn't even make the sequel, Blair Witch 2, the same as the first film. The sequel was like any ordinary, cliched horror film, with typical late 90's characters like the goth girl. It's not like Paranormal Activity, which knows what it is and came pre-packaged. Each sequel - part 3 is on its way this year - looks, to me (though I haven't seen them), like its emulating the style of the first. It's Rice-A-Roni in different flavors. Blair Witch wasn't like that. It crashed to Earth like a meteorite and nobody has had the nerve to touch it. It's like that thing in Creepshow that made weeds grow all over Stephen King.

I think it's impossible to create the same kind of buzz and excitement that The Blair Witch Project caused when it came out. It really was the most talked about film for a while. It's impossible to do that again with a fake documentary because now the audience are aware of that style and reacts differently. It's just not possible to achieve the same high level of authenticity today.

That said, there's been a number of similar films since then. I've seen Paranormal Activity and I think it's mediocre. They had a really good idea but should have worked a lot more on the story, imo. They didn't quite make it to the finish line. Then there's the terrific Spanish [Rec] (2007) by J. Balagueró and P. Plaza. It's the The Blair Witch meets 28 Days Later, sort of. The end scene is the eeriest I've seen since the end scene in Ringu (1998) (but not eerier - Ringu scared the crap out of me). [Rec]˛ (2009) was a disappointment though. I recently saw the Norwegian Trolljegeren (2010) (eng. TrollHunter) which is The Blair Witch sort of translated to the Norwegian culture and folklore, focusing on trolls instead of witches. It's hardly scary, but it puts a smile on your face and it's actually pretty good. It's a loving humorous homage to The Blair Witch Project.