The most important movie in the last 5 years, and why?!

Tools    

Movies that I think will prove important to the industry, although not necessarily great movies.

Iron Man/Hulk: Hulk is a pretty terrible movie but I include it here because it exists in the Iron Man continuity. It's the last piece of the comic book movie puzzle and it could end up being a driving force in summer blockbusters.

Dark Knight: Any movie that makes this much money is important and will influence other movies. Don't expect all your future summer blockbusters to be light hearted popcorn fare anymore. This is the film that changed that.

The Incredibles: This one is for bringing arthouse appeal to children's blockbusters. Besides for other Pixar movies, you're starting to see this trend with this years Wild Things and Mr. Fox.

Avatar: This one isn't out yet, but I can guarantee it'll be important. Either as a cautionary tale about budgets and 3D blockbusters or as the movie that makes 3D blockbuster popular among major studios. We'll see.

The Fountain (2006) – for those who love the esoteric. I consider this to be a significant work of art both visually and intellectually.
Good call!

See the trailer here:

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground

Both as a masterful future classic and as a personal favorite...

Drive (2011)
+

I haven't seen anything better in the last 5 years.

Important is a word with so many connotations, it's hard to say which movie I've seen from the past five years is the most "important"...maybe if you were more specific about what you mean by "important."

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Important is a word with so many connotations, it's hard to say which movie I've seen from the past five years is the most "important"...maybe if you were more specific about what you mean by "important."
Your choice...
Actually thats up to you. Some may wish to say somethings important to cinema, some may choose one most important to them, and some may try an one-up my post, or yours, or who knows?! It could be something not thought about. Its more fun if your unhindered.

This might just do nobody any good.
Okay so not five years anymore but certainly of this decade, I'd say The Social Network is the most important, thanks to the internet and social media.

It's ultimately about this questionable unity in the world. Are we truly closer to one another thanks to our indiscriminate access to everything?

Or have these tools been used to further distance ourselves from each other? Creating safe spaces. The film's version of Zuckerberg certainly falls victim to the latter and all because he couldn't cope with a break up. A separation.

There are a few other movies I'd consider essential to our world today. Zero Dark Thirty for example. Movies like Her and Ex Machina show us a world where humans don't have to be as important anymore but in very different ways.

Even The Avengers, which is essential in understanding the current Hollywood trend.

And as always some films keep getting more and more relevant. A Face in the Crowd for example. Painfully so, I believe.

Both as a masterful future classic and as a personal favorite...

Drive (2011)
+

I haven't seen anything better in the last 5 years.
Thanks for the thread bump Max. Also I am very sorry about earlier.

Whats funny is I wrote this thing in 2009, that was 7 years ago so I gotta make another pick.

If the worlds economy is based off of the United States success, be prepared to be terrified by the true accounting of a handful of investors that knew the housing market was going to completely collapse and everyone ignored them, for years. This happened in 2000.

Very unlikable characters, they played them authentically, but you knew the angst they were carrying with this knowledge in what Christian Bale, Sam Rockwell, and Steve Carrel projected, Brad Pitt did a solid guest spot too.