Tools    

FOX To Inundate Sunday Sports With ‘Avatar’

What’s that? You’re one of the two people on the face of the planet that doesn’t know what this little indie film called Avatar from this up and coming production company, FOX, is all about? Well, fear not weary moviegoer for on November 1st, 20th Century FOX proves just how important media dominance is by going for the “world’s largest live trailer viewing” on “one of the biggest sports days of the year.”
FOX Sports will take the entire country viewing FOX NFL SUNDAY, America’s No. 1 NFL pre-game show, to Arlington, Texas and the new Cowboys Stadium, where the three minute and thirty second trailer will play live from the enormous Mitsubishi Electric Diamond Vision screen. The crowd attending the Cowboys-Seattle Seahawks game will experience the AVATAR trailer live just minutes prior to the noon (Central) kickoff between the Cowboys and Seahawks, on the enormous, four-sided, high-definition screen that hangs above the Cowboys Stadium playing field. At the same time, millions of others watching FOX NFL SUNDAY will see the trailer on-air – making it the largest live motion picture trailer viewing in history.
Don’t worry if you’re not able to be a part of live motion picture trailer viewing history as FOX plans on airing a ninety-second Avatar commercial spot on all regional games from FOX affiliates, the national game on FOX and the World Series on, you guessed it, NBC – I’m just kidding, it’s FOX (or you could just watch it here).

Avatar opens in theaters December 18.

Source: Screenrant

New Avatar trailer! This one’s for the kids!

From all the promotional material 20th Century Fox have been throwing at us recently I wouldn’t really expect to see kids in the audience when Avatar is finally released next month. The film will be over 2 and a half hour long, will feature a few scary beasts and battles, and it will have an environmental message behind it all. While it hasn’t been rated yet it’ll probably get a PG-13 rating in USA, however that won’t stop Fox marketing to the youngsters. They have toys and merchandise to sell.

The trailer below appeared on Cartoon Network recently, and instead of big aerial battles and missiles the kids get cute creatures, uplifting music, and a voice-over that makes you feel warm inside.

&feature=player_embedded

Source: Filmonic

New Avatar videos reveal new footage!

A few trailers, TV spots and tie-in commercials have appeared online recently for James Cameron’s Avatar and they are embedded for your viewing pleasure below. If you are satisfied with the trailers we have already seen and don’t want to be spoiled further with new footage then click elsewhere, as these videos have quite a lot of stuff we haven’t seen before.

First up is a Japanese trailer which is similar to the main trailer we got last week, although I’d say 30% is new footage:

&feature=player_embedded

Next is a short TV spot, which again shows a few new scenes we haven’t seen before.

&feature=player_embedded

Finally we have a commercial which advertises Avatar alongside Coke Zero. 20th Century Fox will probably have a new tie-ins with different products and companies considering the $250 million+ budget the movie had.

im looking forward to this movie..cameron can do no wrong

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
OMG I cannot wait for this movie it looks like it is possibly going to be up there in my top 10 favorite movies

New Avatar clip on Xbox Live Marketplace

Fox seems to be showing us quite a lot of Avatar at the moment, what with the abundance of clips and TV spots arriving online. The latest has turned up on Xbox Live, which means there's no way a link can be given. It's to be found on the new Zune Marketplace if you want to go hunting for it, but for now, here's what Den Of Geek reader Craig Goodyear made of it:
"Thought you might like to know about a 4 minute action scene from Avatar thats exclusively on the new Zune Market place in HD. I'm thinking they have it on as a push for the Zune marketplace that was released on the Xbox Wednesday - I have to say the streaming is very impressive.

Anyway, the scene looks like it takes place quite early on in the film - the first time Jake is on Pandora. Sigourney Weaver is also there as an Avatar, something I was unaware of before seeing this. Her character seems to be the brains in the operations as she gives instructions to Jake as he encounters a native resembling a large dinosaur. He is told to stand his ground, which he does and the native backs down. Jake gets all macho and starts shouting, when another huge native resembling a Jaguar creeps up behind him starting a thrilling chase scene.

This was the first time I have actually seen anything Pandora based that wasn't in a trailer, and as such it was the first time I could truly appreciate the subtleties of the characters. It does look realistic - everything moves as it should. From running, jumping and sliding, to the way water reacts to the characters is phenomenal. Its going to look amazing in 3D. The scene also gives us a chance to get an insight to the personalities of the characters a little more, as dialogue in trailers can often be taken out of context".
Avatar arrives in theaters in December.

Source: Den of Geek

'Avatar' running time set at 2.5 hours

How long is it?

That is the question about James Cameron's "Avatar," the science-fiction epic opening Dec. 18 that has been hotly debated for months, with rampant speculation that it would run over three hours.

In fact, it will be well under that, at least in part to meet limits imposed by Imax technology.

The actual running time will be 150 minutes, which is two and a half hours, according to Bruce Snyder, president of domestic distribution for 20th Century Fox, which is handling the release of the movie. He said that may rise to 156 minutes when all of the credits are added on, but that would be the maximum running time.

That will allow for two showings each evening at theaters, most likely at 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. That would also mean about three daytime showings, beginning at 10 a.m., for a total of five shows a day in each auditorium. Typically a theater operator needs half an hour between shows with the lights up to move people out and get the auditorium cleaned, and then another 20 minutes with the lights down for trailers, in-theater advertising and other promotions and announcements.

"Avatar" will start with midnight screenings and play around the clock at first, but that is expected to be the case only for the first few days, after which it will play a normal pattern of runs.

It is unclear exactly how many theaters "Avatar" will open in, but Snyder estimates it will play in 3D in about 2,500 locations on about 3,500 screens. It will also be available in about 1,500 other locations in 2D, where it could play multiple screens in each theater complex. That would indicate an opening on a minimum of 5,500 screens and possibly significantly more, and that's just in the U.S. It will also open in theaters in countries around the world.

There have been stories circulated that "Avatar" would run over three hours, which is understandable because Cameron movies have run long in the past. His last narrative feature was "Titanic" in 1997, which ran 194 minutes, or three hours and 14 minutes.

Cameron has said that one of the constraints on his decision about running time was the Imax runs. "Avatar" will open day-and-date in 3D in about 180 domestic Imax theaters (which is included in the 2,500 locations) and several dozen more internationally. In those theaters that are not yet converted to digital projection, they are limited to two of the giant platters that hold the film, which caps the length of a movie using the system at 170 minutes, which thus became the maximum length that Cameron was willing to let "Avatar" run. In fact, he came in well under that with his final edit.

Imax has not scheduled another movie into its circuit until the first week of March, in anticipation of a historically long run for "Avatar." Most movies play about three weeks in Imax. If it is as successful as anticipated, "Avatar" is expected to play for about ten weeks. That would break the record for an Imax run set last year by "The Dark Knight," which ran for 10 weeks.

Domestic movie theaters are expected to commit to an eight-week initial run for "Avatar," but ultimately that will depend on its performance. If it is disappointing, that could be cut short, and if it becomes as popular as "Titanic" was in its time, it could play even longer. Snyder would not comment on the terms being asked, but Fox is understood to be seeking "premium" terms from exhibitors for what is one of the most highly anticipated movies in years.

Fox has confirmed that the movie cost at least $230 million to make, but there have been reports it is much more than that. Fox is also expected to spend as much as $100 million to advertise, market and promote "Avatar" around the world, and through partnerships with Panasonic (which is using it to launch its new line of 3D TV sets) and licensees like Mattell (toys) and Ubisoft video games, which will pour on millions more in ancillary marketing.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Norway wins the best Avatar poster award

There have been quite a few international Avatar posters appearing online over the past few weeks, and they haven’t been all that (you can check them out here), however this latest one from Norway is probably the best.

From Avatar Movie Zone:

10-Minute Avatar Behind-the-Scenes Featurette

Hulu has posted a new 10-minute behind-the-scenes featurette from the highly-anticipated film Avatar, which will be released in theaters
everywhere on December 18. Click below to watch this brand new featurette for James Cameron's new blockbuster.

Avatar stars Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, Michelle Rodriguez, Giovanni Ribisi, Joel David Moore, CCH Pounder, Peter Mensah, Laz Alonso, Wes Studi, Stephen Lang and Matt Gerald.

Source: Movieweb

Giovanni Ribisi?
Wes Studi?
Stephen Lang?!!!!!!

Wow. I may have to eat my words (to some extent). The acting might actually save this thing.

Looking forward to this movie sort of. Too much CGI and the heart might be hard to find. Of course I'll be there in theaters with my 3D glasses, but I smell an episode 1 thing going on here. Filmaker finally gets the budget and technology to do what he wants and has earned enough cache that nobody(Fox in this case) can make creative decisions for him. Restrictions breed creativity. Restrictions help make good movies. When you give directors too much, they give you the Star Wars prequels. I'll be there anyways but I have little confidence it'll be a truly great movie. Full thoughts on blog.(link in signature)

Giovanni Ribisi?
Wes Studi?
Stephen Lang?!!!!!!

Wow. I may have to eat my words (to some extent). The acting might actually save this thing.
Get your knife and fork ready. I'll get you some sauce to help it go down, if you'd like.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Im so looking forward to this I cannot wait for the release now. I really liked Sam Worthingtons performance in Terminator Salvation and from what I can see in the trailers this is going to be a better performance than that.

The trailer is really great and I'm curious about the story of this movie.

Don't know about anyone else but I am getting a Battlefield Earth vibe, and that can't be good. Or maybe I just want to see this fail to take that smug look off of James Cameron's face.

Listen to the Avatar theme song “I See You” by Leona Lewis

Last month we heard that Leona Lewis would be singing the theme song for Avatar, in a similar fashion to what Celine Dion did for Titanic over a decade ago. Well the song is now online, and while I doubt it will become one of the biggest selling singles in history, it doesn’t sound that bad.

Listen below:

&feature=player_embedded

Some fans and movie sites have said they aren’t too keen on the song, however love power ballads are rarely targeted towards the online geek demographic. The song is one for the females, and I think that was Cameron’s aim.

In other Avatar news the final runtime for the film is apparently 161 minutes and 34 seconds, so just under three hours. This means you’ll be hearing the song above during the credits as your ass regains conciousness.