New Individual Movie Pages

Tools    

Wait, what! How did I miss this? It's amazing, and far more complete than I expected it to be (it's only been a week after all)!
Thanks. I'm not populating it manually, though, which is why it went from 0-everything on launch.

I just checked the first few pages of my oldest reviews, movies range from big blockbusters to small indie flicks, so definitely gonna be something in there I never checked off for a fact - and I would also say that 90% of those old films are some that never appeared on official mofo wide lists and since the movie feature is new I never went and checked them off either...

AND yes, they are all checked off, @Yoda. You did it (I'm pretty sure).
Whew, good to know. Thanks for confirming.

(Oh and I really love the individual movie pages design and how it is simple, neat and goes with the forum design - good work here as well)
Thanks a lot: I went through a few variations, and this is similar to some of the earlier designs. It'll be a little challenging to keep it clean and usable when I add more (which won't be too long), but hopefully it won't lose that simplicity.

Despite joking, obviously, it would be cool to have both - but keeping the popcorn rating at a standard 0.5-5. So it could be like
- 76.5% - and then with the precise rating in percentage next to it, under it, or whatever fits best. That way it would make it easier to seperate all the 100s of movies which would end up getting the sams average in popcorn language.
Yeah, I'll probably just have it visible via a tooltip or something, for people who want the details.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

Yeah, I'll probably just have it visible via a tooltip or something, for people who want the details.
I thought that said trollop.

I've just spotted a new thing... Top 10 faves on profiles aren't linked to the individual pages.
Like, The Cabin In The Woods is my #2 movie, and shows up on the movie's page that I have it as my #2, but it's marked as Unseen.

Hmmm. Not sure if I should mark those automatically, since people put joke ones in their profile a lot and play around with the system, and it might not occur to them it would happen automatically.

Small update: I've added a popcorn rating based on the average review score. For now it's just tacked onto the end of the film's overview, but it'll probably get moved.

The next step is letting people rate films without reviewing them, and incorporating that into the average. As I alluded to earlier, there's a handful of decisions to be made about how to handle that. IE: if someone's already reviewed a film, and they want to rate it...what then? Can they? Does it overwrite the review rating, or does the review take priority? Et cetera.

After thinking about it a bit, my inclination is to use the review rating by default, but let them rate it anyway...and if they do, it overrides the review rating. Might be a little weird for the author's "on the record" rating to be different from the one actually on their review, but it seems like the least bad option.

Anyway, with that decision all-but-made, I should be able to focus on making the rating process as soon as possible, and once that's done, it can be incorporated in lots of other places. Hopefully won't be too long.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Finally I can come here to get a general consensus for a film rating instead of that now defunct IMDB.

Suspect's Reviews

Finally I can come here to get a general consensus for a film rating instead of that now defunct IMDB.
They only removed their message boards. The rating system is still there. Or have they made more changes?

...The next step is letting people rate films without reviewing them, and incorporating that into the average...
I wonder if we'll get some joker, who will then rate all the films with say, Adam Sandler (or whoever they hate) at
without ever having watched them, just to screw around. I'm sure that was done as a prank at IMDB untold 1000s of times. And with MoFo being much smaller than IMDB, even one person who did that, could really screw up the average pop corn rating on a movie page.

So how about doing 2 different averaged popcorn ratings on the individual movie page? 1 of them could be (as you described) based on the average of anyone who chooses to rate that movie.

A 2nd popcorn score could be a 'reviewers' only average score based solely on those people who took the time to write a review that's logged into the MoFo system.

It would be neat to have both popcorn average ratings, side by side, as a person could then compare the general rating to the reviewers rating and gleam more information about the movie.

And as someone who reviews a lot, I think that's important as an incentive for us reviewers to keep writing reviews. Hopefully it's not to much work. I don't really see a down side, as more info is useful.

Small update: I've added a popcorn rating based on the average review score. For now it's just tacked onto the end of the film's overview, but it'll probably get moved.

The next step is letting people rate films without reviewing them, and incorporating that into the average. As I alluded to earlier, there's a handful of decisions to be made about how to handle that. IE: if someone's already reviewed a film, and they want to rate it...what then? Can they? Does it overwrite the review rating, or does the review take priority? Et cetera.

After thinking about it a bit, my inclination is to use the review rating by default, but let them rate it anyway...and if they do, it overrides the review rating. Might be a little weird for the author's "on the record" rating to be different from the one actually on their review, but it seems like the least bad option.

Anyway, with that decision all-but-made, I should be able to focus on making the rating process as soon as possible, and once that's done, it can be incorporated in lots of other places. Hopefully won't be too long.
Would it be at all possible to add these ratings to profiles? Similar to favorites and such.

I wonder if we'll get some joker, who will then rate all the films with say, Adam Sandler (or whoever they hate) at
without ever having watched them, just to screw around. I'm sure that was done as a prank at IMDB untold 1000s of times. And with MoFo being much smaller than IMDB, even one person who did that, could really screw up the average pop corn rating on a movie page.

So how about doing 2 different averaged popcorn ratings on the individual movie page? 1 of them could be (as you described) based on the average of anyone who chooses to rate that movie.

A 2nd popcorn score could be a 'reviewers' only average score based solely on those people who took the time to write a review that's logged into the MoFo system.

It would be neat to have both popcorn average ratings, side by side, as a person could then compare the general rating to the reviewers rating and gleam more information about the movie.

And as someone who reviews a lot, I think that's important as an incentive for us reviewers to keep writing reviews. Hopefully it's not to much work. I don't really see a down side, as more info is useful.
It's actually less work to do two ratings, but I worry it'd be a little confusing. I don't mind having a separate average listed somewhere for reviews only, but I need a singular rating I can put elsewhere on the site, like search results, or on list entries. So even if there were two, one would have to be chosen as the "official" version for those purposes, anyway.

But you raise a good point about junk ratings. Unfortunately, most of the solutions are worse than the problem. We could normalize the data somehow, like finding the median, tossing out outliers, etc., but calling the result an "Average Rating" feels pretty disingenuous. We could exclude ratings from newer members, but that's not very welcoming, and we'd need a script that runs each day that figures out which users have met the cutoff (either in posts or tenure), and then recalculates the average for each film they've rated. That's a lot of work, and a lot of moving parts, for such a straightforward feature.

I think the easiest version--and the one with the fewest downsides--is just to let everyone rate everything however they want, and have a script which just checks for any users going on a spree (lots of 1s and 0s or lots of 5s, I suppose), and then we judge case-by-case if it's genuine or not. And if it's not, it'll be easy to delete their ratings en masse.

Would it be at all possible to add these ratings to profiles? Similar to favorites and such.
Yeah, I've already started work on a page that shows everything you've marked as Seen, and that'll definitely incorporate any ratings you give the films in question.

Not sure if this was brought up or is appropriate for this thread, but in relation to reps and ratings, it'd be great to rep the reviews direct from the movie search function..and also to see which reps are from who. This sitre is so much better than what I've seen of FB, though FB has some features that would make this site the be all end all. Skip the cat pitcures in the news feed, choose your category! :P

Not sure if this was brought up or is appropriate for this thread, but in relation to reps and ratings, it'd be great to rep the reviews direct from the movie search function
Need to clarify this a bit: do you mean let people rep directly on reviews, like this one? I assume this is what you mean, but the mention of "movie search" is what makes me ask, since we have a search box on the Movies page.

If you mean the former, on the reviews, that has indeed been suggested, and it's on my to-do list. I have it a lot lower in priority than other things, but I do think it's a good idea.

and also to see which reps are from who.
Well, everyone can see their own (though, speaking of which, maybe I should make the rep clickable so you can see everyone who repped it, if you're viewing your own post?). But I do worry about making it viewable for everyone else; the anonymity seems important. I'm not sure.

The biggest issue, though, is that because people have left all the rep to date expecting it to be private, it wouldn't be fair to make it public retroactively. So, even if we wanted to do this, I'd have to hide all the rep before the switch, and only display the rep given after, which kind of muddles the whole thing.

Need to clarify this a bit: do you mean let people rep directly on reviews, like this one? I assume this is what you mean, but the mention of "movie search" is what makes me ask, since we have a search box on the Movies page.

If you mean the former, on the reviews, that has indeed been suggested, and it's on my to-do list. I have it a lot lower in priority than other things, but I do think it's a good idea.

Well, everyone can see their own (though, speaking of which, maybe I should make the rep clickable so you can see everyone who repped it, if you're viewing your own post?). But I do worry about making it viewable for everyone else; the anonymity seems important. I'm not sure.

The biggest issue, though, is that because people have left all the rep to date expecting it to be private, it wouldn't be fair to make it public retroactively. So, even if we wanted to do this, I'd have to hide all the rep before the switch, and only display the rep given after, which kind of muddles the whole thing.
exactly right, yoda. I just PM'd you. Sorry to hijack here. But yes...only visible to us (upvotes and by whom), but hoverable instead of relying on notifications which seem to expire after you've seen them, might help with familiarity?..while the movie search would be just that, search "movies" tab,open up movie info page, see review option at bottom, and upvote each review from there when done reading it. Yes to your question on the Kong review, that exact scenario.

They only removed their message boards. The rating system is still there. Or have they made more changes?
They are, but with the message boards gone, the user database will take a big hit. Which in turn, I believe will affect the ratings of films.

exactly right, yoda. I just PM'd you. Sorry to hijack here. But yes...only visible to us (upvotes and by whom), but hoverable instead of relying on notifications which seem to expire after you've seen them, might help with familiarity?
This is something I've actually been thinking of for awhile. Could probably have it done pretty quick, too. Stay tuned.

while the movie search would be just that, search a film, see review option at bottom, and upvote each review from there.
Ah, so not the individual reviews, like I linked before, but from the individual movie pages, like this one?

I could do that, though the logic of automatically upvoting a review that hasn't been read (since, from that page, you can only see a tiny excerpt) seems off, to me. At least, if it's on the individual reviews, the person has seen the thing they're upvoting. So I'm inclined to add it there, but not in places where the full post isn't actually visible, if that makes sense.

This is something I've actually been thinking of for awhile. Could probably have it done pretty quick, too. Stay tuned.

Ah, so not the individual reviews, like I linked before, but from the individual movie pages, like this one?

I could do that, though the logic of automatically upvoting a review that hasn't been read (since, from that page, you can only see a tiny excerpt) seems off, to me. At least, if it's on the individual reviews, the person has seen the thing they're upvoting. So I'm inclined to add it there, but not in places where the full post isn't actually visible, if that makes sense.
I updated my post to be more thorough, sorry for the confusion. But, to answer you, No, I was referring to the full page review, not the excerpt. I agree that would be silly to rate a review you didn't read

Got it, thanks. Yes, definitely. Was going to happen anyway, but since another person specifically requested it, I'll see about getting that done sooner rather than later. Probably still a bit after the ratings and all that.

The shortcut for seeing who repped a given post of yours, though, I'll do right now.

Has this been moved? I noticed the average review score is no longer tagged at the end of the blurb.