The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Haven't seen either one.

Will check back later today to give an update on my ballot chances.

Spider-Verse for sure. And although the window is closing, I wouldn't count out stuff like Zootopia, Moana, How to Train Your Dragon, The Lego Movie, Frozen, or even Your Name or Isle of Dogs.
Definitely:
It's Such a Beautiful Day
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
The Lego Movie

Probably:
The Wind Rises
Moana

Coin Flip Time:
Frozen
Despicable Me

Are any more animated films even going to show other than that goofy mofo obsessed It's Such A Beautiful Day?
I'm actually upset and disappointed that Rango isn't going to make it. My favourite animated film of all time, not just the decade.

Anyway, I just watched John Wick. Good, solid entertainment. Well made and moves along at such a quick pace without being completely mindless and empty. Gets the right balance in knowing its a violent action revenge film but also has enough character and coolness (I like the code/world stuff - reminds me of Le Samourai or The Limits of Control) to give it personality and make it memorable enough.

Dredd was pretty good and I figured it would get a decent placement with the action fans here. Melancholia made my list at #20. Sure as mentioned early Lars is better but this film was quite something and I haven't really cared for his other work post-Melancholia.

3. The Act of Killing (2012)
4. Holy Motors (2012)
8. Under the Skin (2014)
12. Joker (2019)
14. The Turin Horse (2011)
18. What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
20. Melancholia (2011)
22. Moonlight (2016)

Also, I agree that Moana is good fun.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I haven't yet seen Melancholia, though a few people have recommended it to me. I know it's going to hit me in a certain kind of way, so it's definitely on my watchlist. I actually started it the other night and then chickened out and bailed. Someday!

Dredd was my #14. It is a movie that I find endlessly charming and rewatchable. Fun protagonists, fun antagonists, just the right amount of world-building. It also manages to pass a test that some action films don't, where sometimes I'll really love an action movie but on a rewatch find myself getting antsy just waiting for certain setpieces. With Dredd I enjoy the entire thing from beginning to end. And I think that the development of the relationship between the two leads as the film progresses is really neat.

Definitely:
It's Such a Beautiful Day
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
The Lego Movie

Probably:
The Wind Rises
Moana

Coin Flip Time:
Frozen
Despicable Me
At this point, I'm not even sure about The Lego Movie.

PS: I haven't seen The Lego Movie.

As you can tell, I have zero confidence with my track record in this countdown.

My ballot:  

Never heard of : 23/60
Seen: 23/60
1 ptrs: 4

I thought both of today's films were very good but I wasn't expecting either to make the countdown. I thought The Raid was more popular than Dredd.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
After an incredible battle for hours against a skyscraper full of hostiles he says;

"drug bust"

"perps were uncooperative"

My #25, too much fun to leave off. Lena Hedley having all the fun as MaMa and Olivia Thirlby is very solid too as psychic Anderson.

Definitely one of the movie crimes of the decade not to get a sequel.

I've seen Dredd and Melancholia. Dredd was mostly an expectation level going in of, "it's actually good," but I never made note of it beyond that level, and didn't remain in my head as a possible best of the decade type of level of enthusiasm.

Melancholia was in in consideration for my ballot, but ultimately didn't make it. Definitely worthy of top 25 consideration.

Admittedly, I don't remember much about Dredd and it's been a long time since I've seen Melancholia (hard to forget those opening credits though, right?)

Editing for other picks:

Logan - Never saw. Ethan Hawke says it's decent, but no Bresson.

Midnight in Paris - Accusations aside, I've never been a big Woody Allen person. Haven't seen, not a big interest.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - Never seen. Inclination isn't really that high. Really loved In Bruges back in the day. Enjoyed Banshees now. Seven Psychopaths and Three Billboards received much more negatives reactions, with the latter very polarized. I think criticism I remember on the latter being that McDonagh doesn't have a great sense of American life and it kind of translates. As opposed von Trier, who I guess does despite never having set foot here?

Silence - Seen it, but I haven't really jived with latter day Scorsese. It's, "okay," to me.

My list so far:

1. Black Swan (50... you gotta be f'ing kidding me)
10. The Cabin In The Woods (88)
(11.) Ex Machina (Would have been my No.11 if I hadn't forgotten it)
11. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (72)
25. Zero Dark Thirty (would have been bumped off the list by Ex Machina)

I feel like I don't belong here.
I don't think that's making the countdown either: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5710514/

Just wondering, based on our conversation elsewhere, if you've seen The Red Shoes. Black Swan was supposed to have been Aronofsky's attempt at doing The Red Shoes.

I haven't seen either (The Red Shoes being one of the few big Powell & Pressburger movies I haven't seen. I guess I'll try rectifying that this year since it's one of the nine films from the S&S critics top 100 poll results I haven't seen).

I don't think that's making the countdown either: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5710514/

Just wondering, based on our conversation elsewhere, if you've seen The Red Shoes. Black Swan was supposed to have been Aronofsky's attempt at doing The Red Shoes.
While retaining themes from Perfect Blue, which he would've remade in America if the director of the original hadn't passed away.