Movie Tab II

Tools    

Feel like picking this back up, like the good ol' days, even though I post about movies in my own thread. Good thing about doing this again is I'm able to reevaluate my ratings, given more thought. With that in mind, some of these may be different than how I rated them before. Probably lower. Really trying to be stricter with the ratings.

Hellraiser -
-
It Follows -
+
Wrong Turn -

There Will Be Blood -
-
Inherent Vice -
+
Breaking the Waves -

The Visit -

The Turin Horse -

Goodnight Mommy -
+
Street of Crocodiles -

The biggest revelation here was definitely Street of Crocodiles. I had seen it before and had always been a fan of the Quay brothers, but something really clicked this time and now it's one of my favorite pieces of cinema, short or otherwise. In fact, it's opened my eyes to how great short cinema can be. Before now I had never given them much value, and perhaps that's why I always simply liked the Quay brothers without becoming obsessed. Though, I'd argue when it comes to animation they've always been my biggest influence and inspiration. I love the gritty hand-made style of their work, as opposed to the super polished stop motion of some other stuff (which is still vastly impressive in its own right)

The second most significant watch, was Goodnight Mommy. I wrote all about it but in short, I was very excited to see it and when I did was vastly underwhelmed. I felt it had it had a number of problems and ultimately wasn't the film I wanted it to be. The latter of course is not a criticism really, but I was expecting something a bit more surreal and eerie, and less straightforward and heavy-handed. I don't feel any negativity towards the film despite being disappointed, because I feel it helped me understand my own personal sensibilities with cinema. That means it was a very important viewing experience.

Last one I'll mention is Inherent Vice. I always preach "effective simplicity," but dammit, PTA did the exact opposite and made it work to the film's advantage. I felt confused, and I felt like I was supposed to be confused by this drug-infused trance-inducing detective story. I'm reevaluating a lot of cinema right now (including horror), and my philosophies are changing. But changing in that I'm basically throwing every cinematic philosophy out the window. To me, in the right hands, anything is possible. Can you make a film without compelling characters? Who knows. Maybe someone can. Maybe someone did. 'Tis one of the beauties of being a filmmaker - the exploration of finding out what exactly you can do with the medium effectively.

Everest

Saw this with my mom. Would have been better without the 3D, but still an intense and entertaining flick. The sound design is excellent, it really makes you feel like you're stranded up on some god forsaken rock. Good performances by Gylenhal, Clarke, and Brolin.

The Visit

*the kids talk to their mom on skype who's webcam is the RED digital camera costing upwards of $10,000*

This movie is supposed to be about scary/strange old people, but they actually dwarfed by how god damn weird these weirdo kids are. They want to go see their grandparents whom they've never met, that most likely don't even have internet. The little brother is a bad rapper who makes me very uncomfortable in every scene he's in. The older sister is dumb, simple as that. Shyamalan has been trolling audiences for awhile now, and he delivers on his "what the hell" signature style.

I don't know how to rate this one.I feel like it's not stupid enough to recommend as an enjoyable bad movie, but it's not good either. But on the other hand it offers a lot more entertainment value than something like A Talking Cat?! which was very bad but not bad enough to be entertaining. But then you have a movie like The Happening (which i watched after this), that is just the worst piece of **** I have ever witnessed, but it's also supremely entertaining.

don't bother

The Happening

*Wahlberg realizes his career may be coming to an abrupt end*

Now this is the kind of terrible movie that I can recommend to anyone. It is like a masterpiece of sucking balls. Everyone acts like aliens. Scenes that are supposed to be menacing or scary come off as comedy gold. There's a part where they are running away from a light breeze.

The Aristocats

Better than average Disney flick from 1970. The entire plot of the movie is that an old rich lady leaves her inheritance to her cats. This is before Shyamalan people.

Alice in Wonderland

A chaotic curveball. One of the most unique animated flicks from Disney. Two standout bits are the tea party with the mad hatter and the finale with the queen. There is just non-stop motion and energy spinning around the screen.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Total 2015 viewings-359

Wait a second. Shorts don't count?

And you're gonna win this, anyway, since I'm starting my 3th year of studies today.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Night Noon (Shambhavi Kaul, 2014)
+
Black River (Jeff Blackner, 2001)

In Love and War (Philip Dunne, 1958)

The Duke of Burgundy (Peter Strickland, 2015)

A dominant/submissive relationship between two women (Chiara D'Anna & Sidse Babett Knudsen) is played out amid lush surroundings.
Earthquake: These Ain't Jokes (Marcus Raboy, 2014)

Detour De Force (Rebecca Baron, 2014)

Just Off Broadway (Herbert I. I.eeds, 1942)
+
Run All Night (Jaume Collet-Serra, 2015)

Hit man Liam Neeson gets into a war with his boss (Ed Harris) over the two men’s sons.
Sandcastles (Ted Post, 1972)

The Seat Filler (Nick Castle, 2005)

Scary Movie 4 (David Zucker, 2006)
+
Black Sea (Kevin Macdonald, 2014)

Troubled submarine captain Jude Law contemplates how much freedom he’ll attain by salvaging the gold from a sunken Nazi sub, but soon he goes from the frying pan into the fire.
The Cabbage Fairy (Alice Guy, 1896)

The Birth, the Life and the Death of Christ (Alice Guy, 1906)

The Ocean Waif (Alice Guy, 1916)
+
The Red Kimona (Walter Lang & Dorothy Davenport, 1925)

Leaving her home to get away from her cruel father, Priscilla Bonner follows Carl Miller to New Orleans but ends up working as a prostitute and played for a sucker.
The Shrine (Jon Krautz, 2010)

Relative Stranger (Charles Burnett, 2009)

Ming of Harlem: Twenty One Storeys in the Air (Philip Warnell, 2014)

The Jam: About the Young Idea (Bob Smeaton, 2015)

Documentary about one of the most-important rock bands that sprang from the punk era – the Jam – guitarist Paul Weller, bassist Bruce Foxton and drummer Rick Buckler, who also led the mod revival movement in Britain.

Peter Strickland also directed Berberian Sound Studio, and he has a way of taking seemingly-interesting subject matter, using his visual and aural gifts and making boring films. This one holds a fascination for awhile, but repetition and predictability start to settle in. It makes more sense than his last one though. The plot and imagery do have a lot to do with butterflies and moths, and there is a surrealistic scene involving them that's the one stunning scene in the film, but after that it was back to the simple story which resembles a few others we both could name.

Peter Strickland also directed Berberian Sound Studio, and he has a way of taking seemingly-interesting subject matter, using his visual and aural gifts and making boring films. This one holds a fascination for awhile, but repetition and predictability start to settle in. It makes more sense than his last one though. The plot and imagery do have a lot to do with butterflies and moths, and there is a surrealistic scene involving them that's the one stunning scene in the film, but after that it was back to the simple story which resembles a few others we both could name.
I like Berberian Sound Studio very much!! Nice way to look inside horror movie process

Black Mass (Scott Cooper, 2015)

The Skeleton Twins (Craig Johnson, 2014)
+

Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller, 2015) (Rewatch)
+

The Water Diviner (Russell Crowe, 2015)
+

Shaun of the Dead (Edgar Wright, 2004)

Hmm... I thought the last 30 minutes of Berberian Sound Studio were rubbish and I was certainly let down by it. I think I'll wait to see if and when it turns up on Film4. Thanks.

99 Homes (2014) -

Letyat zhuravli (The Cranes are Flying) (1957) -

Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari (1920) -

A Global Affair (Jack Arnold, 1964)

I'll Take Sweden (Frederick De Cordova, 1965)

Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number! (George Marshall, 1966)

Rise of the Footsoldier (Julian Gilbey, 2007)
-

Carlton Leach (Ricci Harnett) rises from football hooligan to crime boss in a 30-year period of extreme violence.
Chuka (Gordon Douglas, 1967)

Keeping Up with the Steins (Scott Marshall, 2006)

Bulldog Drummond's Peril (James P. Hogan, 1938)
+
Blind Fury (Phillip Noyce, 1989)

Blind Vietnam vet Rutger Hauer tries to help war buddy Terry O’Quinn and his son Brandon Call in this updating of the Zatoichi legend.
Swing Cat's Jamboree (Roy Mack, 1938)

The Big Picture (Christopher Guest, 1989)

White Water Summer (Jeff Beckner, 1987)

Rolling Thunder (Jon Flynn, 1977)

Vietnam War hero William Devane seeks revenge on those who killed his family and mangled his hand.
Frank & Jesse (Robert Boris, 1995)

The Love Light (Frances Marion, 1921)

Scenic Oregon (James A. FitzPatrick, 1943)

Baraka (Ron Fricke, 1993)
-

Even monkeys need to meditate while relaxing in a natural hot tub.
22 Jump Street (Phil Lord & Christopher Miller, 2014)

Rattlers (John McCauley, 1976)

J.S.A.: Joint Security Area (Park Chan-wook, 2000)
-
How to Steal a Million (Wiliam Wyler, 1966)

”Gentleman thief” Peter O’Toole agrees to help Audrey Hepburn steal an art forgery from a museum to protect her family name (her grandfather was the forger and her father still is). The two are currently locked in a museum closet, but O’Toole has the key although it doesn’t open from the inside.

Any chance of a few thoughts on this, Gab?

I'm slightly surprised to see Rise of the Footsoldier get such a strong rating from you, mark. What did you think of it?

The Grandmaster (Wong Kar-wai, 2013)
+
A Chinese Ghost Story (Ching Siu-Tung, 1987)

Child 44 (Daniel Espinosa, 2015)
-
Bram Stoker's Dracula (Francis Ford Coppola, 1992)
+ (very enjoyable in parts but too long)
The Babadook (Jennifer Kent, 2014)
+
The Boxtrolls (Graham Annable & Anthony Stacchi, 2014)

The Paperboy (Lee Daniels, 2012)

Hackers (Ian Softley, 1995)
(enjoyably idiotic)

I'm slightly surprised to see Rise of the Footsoldier get such a strong rating from you, mark. What did you think of it?
I'm curious too; one of the most violent movies I've seen.

Any chance of a few thoughts on this, Gab?
I just didn't enjoy it. I'm not a big fan of M.Shannon in general, whenever I'm watching him, he's always playing plain creeps. Garfield seemed overdoing his role as well. Plus, the whole story seemed overdramatised, unrealistic and didn't really have a real ending. And good story is the reason why I like films

A Chinese Ghost Story (Ching Siu-Tung, 1987)
Joey Wang looks outstandingly beautiful in this. The stop-motion monsters are wonderfully cheesy and the mixture of cinematography and music creates a sweet mood. The descent to hell is crazy! Make sure to watch part two, too. It's just as good!

I've been a fan of the first Chinese Ghost Story for a while (this was at least the third time I've seen it) but for some reason never checked out the sequel. I'll have to do so. I also really like The Swordsman 2 by the same director.

The sequel plays more like a wuxia compared to the first installment. It introduces more characters and even though it is the direct continuation, the love story of the first part is only a trigger and one of the plot mechanics. It's still pretty cheesy and over-the-top in HK way, so if you liked the first part, chances are you'll like this one as well. I haven't yet seen the third part, but it's said to be a kind of a remake (reboot?) of the first one.

While looking for these films, I've stumbled across, the so-called, Chinese Erotic Ghost Story and it's directed by the director of Story of Ricky (and A Cat, which I've seen lately). I haven't seen it yet, but my guess is a way more exploitationisque (where the hell did my word formation led me) take on the topic and (hopefully!) a lot of barren breasts from the ladies. Probably buckets of kitsch and sleaze, just like in other films of this filmmaker, too.