The official "I Hate Anime!!!" and "I Hate Fan Fiction!!!" Thread

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
p.p.s.

good one

Who here...

I'm speechless!!!!!!

Okay... to sum everything up in a few words. MovieMaker5087 "dislikes" because...

*I'm not asking, I could care less, but for all those who want to know the reasoning to his non stop ranting.

This is a good place to find the "Best Debator" for the MOFO awards...

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Oh you can't even begin to talk about debates until you read some epic ones that have gone on here. Evolution for one

You don't even need to read the whole thing, just scroll through the pages and awe in the amount of effort put into each post. I abstained from that debate, but I recall Chris (Yoda) and I getting into the same debate on another forum member's website that escalated to at least 7 pages at which point we just had to call it quits. Chris gets my vote for best debater as he often defends his ground against several attackers at once.

As for this thread, I'd just like to address two things:

This whole thread is mainly about a matter of opinion, and you are trying to make it sound as if I'm Hitler and I'm spreading propoganda
We're not making you out to be Hitler spreading propoganda (in which case that would have been a Mr. Joesph Goebbels), we were/are simply trying to make the case that the basis for your reasoning doesn't hold up.

Next up:

As long as they don't overdo what they like. I mean, sure, my girlfriend may love anime, but she doesn't talk about it like it's God! I think now is a good time for me to say something I should have said a long time ago... a lot of my friends enjoy anime, and I'm cool with that, because maybe I may not like it with them, but they'll like something I like, like Star Wars or Halo or something like that. And I'm sure some of them dislike what I like, and I'm cool about that too. But it's the people like the picture that Nitzer posted that gets me mad... it's called being OVERLY OBSESSED and that is what gets to me.
What you call being overly obsessed is a trait I very heartily admire. Nothing wrong with some passion about something. It just so happens about 5 minutes ago I made a blog entry about this very subject. I'd just copy and paste it in here anyway, so I'll just link it to save thread space.

Or maybe the "Most off-topic" thread award...

I just know they're coming to kill me.
OOO! 2 nominations! Yay!

And for those of you who still hate anime such as I, go and check out
thehatelistings.org
hatelisting's page on
anime to go check some more extensive sites dedicated to the hatred of anime. Die, hentai!!! (Actually, to see the hentai hate thread, you have to go the the adult hatelisting page.)

Yes, Dr. Grant, they do travel in herds...

Originally Posted by MovieMaker5087
Then you, my friend, are a loser.
May I again point to your avatar. No further comment.

We all have our favorite movies. Star Wars just so happens to be mine. But admitting that you like being overly obsessed and consider it a trait of yours, then that is just pushing it in way too far and it's also just plain sad. You want to know what an overly obasessed fan? Two people: one person who legally changed his name to James T. Kirk and another that also legally changed his name, and yes, even though this character is one of my favorite movie characters, but I will say that this too is considered OVERLY OBSESSED, to Luke Skywalker. Gimme a break, people. Go outside, BREATH in some FRESH AIR, and throw a football around. But hey, if you wanna go around, saying that you're proud to be overly obsessed with something, then so be it. But coming from me, I just simply think that at that point you desperately need to find a new hobby, not to offend anyone.

Arresting your development
MovieMaker5087, I do not think you are offending anyone...unless maybe you call them names like- loser. As for your opinion on Anime, it is respected in my book. I say rant on with your badself. That is the type of energy that will make this forum interesting.

then that is just pushing it in way too far...
OOOOOOOH!... Doesn't it feel gooooood?

I like Star Wars also!

But hey, if you wanna go around, saying that you're proud to be overly obsessed with something, then so be it. But coming from me, I just simply think that at that point you desperately need to find a new hobby, not to offend anyone.
Did you even read the link I posted? I'm confidently betting that you didn't. So until you do, my obviously superficial statement still stands. Just for you, I will take up the thread space and transfer it here:

Nerds are the ****in' best. They really are. I'm so proud to be a nerd and so embarassed that I used to hide it back in like 8th, 9th grade. During that time frame was when I moved to Virginia and everyone there was so...stereotypical... I tried to fit in by pretending like I wasn't a nerd, but then I realized, **** it, nerds rule and stopped hiding it. I'm not here to talk about that time period though, this is just my appreciation for nerds time.

When I use the term nerd I in no way am using it with the negative connotation popular culture had given it in the 80s and 90s, which it is now, interestingly enough, taking away. I use it with complete admiration. To me a nerd is someone who holds something with the highest of regards. They let themselves fall into something that people would normally only look at superficially. These activites are typically things most people think you shouldn't be that interested in, ie. computers, games, books, movies etc. I don't care what your love is, I love that people love it so much and so openly. Nerds don't care what other people think about their passions, it doesn't stop them from loving it and I think that rules hardcore.

First case and point, Farscape fans. Farscape is a show that had a four season run on the Sci-Fi channel when, at the height of the show's popularity it got cancelled. Sci-Fi decided, for whatever reason, the show wasn't worth it and just pulled the plug. Farscape lovers, self-titled "Scapers", would have none of this. They started all kinds of petitions, wrote thousands of letters to the Sci-Fi chan showing how much this show was loved. Sci-Fi initially took no notice and ignored the demand, but ya know what, the Scapers won out and got the show back on the air. They weren't able to get back a full fifth season, but they did get a four hour miniseries which aired this past Sunday/Monday that brought some closure to the story and characters they all fell in love with years ago.

What is so great about this story to me isn't that their fan tactics won and they got the show back, if only briefly, its what they did past this. Farscape fans united over the internet and raised enough money within their fan groups to spend $300,000 and buy commercial air time on cable networks and run ads they themselves made to promote the miniseries. Let that soak in for a second. These fans, who are just ordinary people, loved this show so much that they paid three hundred thousand dollars of their own money to help promote the show so that other people would watch and hopefully realize what they all realized. That is ****ing awesome to me.

Second case of why I love nerds. Check out this guy. I think it is pretty self explanatory how awesome this guy is. He not only has the dedication to make that costume but he has the balls to both enter in a contest AND post picture of it on the internet. That guy is too cool. That is just awe inspring to me.

I love the sense of humor nerds have. They realize they can be pretty extreme, but can laugh it off with a good deal of self-deprication and self-admiration. They realize it is both "uncool" and cool at the same time, but don't care either way. Of course there are some nerds whose sense of humor isn't all that great and they get offended if anyone tries to point these things out, but I think your average nerd is pretty damn good about it all.

Nerds can make fun of other nerds and it is still all good. I'm a pretty hardcore nerd in the sense that I spend an insane amount of time on the computer just gathering random knowledge in the hope that some day I can incorprate it into my life, writings and movies. I play computer games, I read about 'em, I watch a ton of movies, keep pretty up to date on science and technology news, all your typical nerd stuff. My skin is pretty pale from my healthy computer tan, but as nerdy as I am I crack jokes at how nerdy someone is who spends all day playing an online role playing game. And they can crack jokes about all the nerds who play Dungeons and Dragons. Then they can crack jokes on people who LARP (live action role playing). But in the end, we're all brothers. We're all nerds. We all respect each other.

If you ask someone do they have anything they regret, most people will say something along the lines of "no, I only regret the things I didn't do." Which is normally the case with me, but I do have a regret. I do have something I wish I could undo. I wish I could go back to the midnight screening of Return of the King. I wish I could go back and change the way things happened because it is the most shameful moment of my life. You can imagine the crowd of a midnight showing of a movie like that. Everyone who is there is an absolute fan, they've been waiting for it for what seems like forever. And there I was...half way through the movie, tired and fatigued from it being 2 in the morning, people start clapping and shouting because of something in the movie (I don't even remember what it was) and I had the ****ing audacity to yell "SHUT UP YOU NERDS!!!" I wish I could erase that event from the history of time. I regret it in every aspect of the word. I had no right to get pissed off like that. I had no right to try to take away from anyone's enjoyment of the movie, though I am pretty sure I didn't because no one cared, they just wanted to see their movie. Point is, I regret it. It pains me to think I, for a moment, had become that person I hate. In the fat chance in hell anyone that was in that theater is reading this, I apologize from the bottom of my heart for that pathetic act of disrespect. I will make ammends with The LAN.

Nerds are willing to be ostricized by those in the "in crowds" because they know they will always have the support of their fellow nerds, so in this vein I leave you with a paragraph from Penny-Arcade. I find the two authors of PA to be two of the most brilliant people on this planet. I can't even begin to explain how ****ing genius they are to me, but I'll just leave you with this...in August they held their first ever Expo and after it was over Tycho posted this in regards to the event, which almost makes me want to cry every time I read it:

It brings to mind Salk Middle School for some reason, where I would imagine that young people of any intellect whatsoever are still tormented for not being idiots. In this bull**** lunchroom apartheid - a system whose contours are intuitively perceived by those of lower social status - I would sit at tables above my station partially because the agitation of my betters was delicious to me, but also because I was tired of sitting out in some Godforsaken hinterland just because I wasn't good at Lacrosse. At the Penny Arcade Expo, it was almost more than I could bear to be in a place where every table - every table in the room - was ours.
Respect.

Originally Posted by OG-
Did you even read the link I posted? I'm confidently betting that you didn't. So until you do, my obviously superficial statement still stands. Just for you, I will take up the thread space and transfer it here:

Nerds are the ****in' best. They really are. I'm so proud to be a nerd and so embarassed that I used to hide it back in like 8th, 9th grade. During that time frame was when I moved to Virginia and everyone there was so...stereotypical... I tried to fit in by pretending like I wasn't a nerd, but then I realized, **** it, nerds rule and stopped hiding it. I'm not here to talk about that time period though, this is just my appreciation for nerds time.

When I use the term nerd I in no way am using it with the negative connotation popular culture had given it in the 80s and 90s, which it is now, interestingly enough, taking away. I use it with complete admiration. To me a nerd is someone who holds something with the highest of regards. They let themselves fall into something that people would normally only look at superficially. These activites are typically things most people think you shouldn't be that interested in, ie. computers, games, books, movies etc. I don't care what your love is, I love that people love it so much and so openly. Nerds don't care what other people think about their passions, it doesn't stop them from loving it and I think that rules hardcore.

First case and point, Farscape fans. Farscape is a show that had a four season run on the Sci-Fi channel when, at the height of the show's popularity it got cancelled. Sci-Fi decided, for whatever reason, the show wasn't worth it and just pulled the plug. Farscape lovers, self-titled "Scapers", would have none of this. They started all kinds of petitions, wrote thousands of letters to the Sci-Fi chan showing how much this show was loved. Sci-Fi initially took no notice and ignored the demand, but ya know what, the Scapers won out and got the show back on the air. They weren't able to get back a full fifth season, but they did get a four hour miniseries which aired this past Sunday/Monday that brought some closure to the story and characters they all fell in love with years ago.

What is so great about this story to me isn't that their fan tactics won and they got the show back, if only briefly, its what they did past this. Farscape fans united over the internet and raised enough money within their fan groups to spend $300,000 and buy commercial air time on cable networks and run ads they themselves made to promote the miniseries. Let that soak in for a second. These fans, who are just ordinary people, loved this show so much that they paid three hundred thousand dollars of their own money to help promote the show so that other people would watch and hopefully realize what they all realized. That is ****ing awesome to me.

Second case of why I love nerds. Check out this guy. I think it is pretty self explanatory how awesome this guy is. He not only has the dedication to make that costume but he has the balls to both enter in a contest AND post picture of it on the internet. That guy is too cool. That is just awe inspring to me.

I love the sense of humor nerds have. They realize they can be pretty extreme, but can laugh it off with a good deal of self-deprication and self-admiration. They realize it is both "uncool" and cool at the same time, but don't care either way. Of course there are some nerds whose sense of humor isn't all that great and they get offended if anyone tries to point these things out, but I think your average nerd is pretty damn good about it all.

Nerds can make fun of other nerds and it is still all good. I'm a pretty hardcore nerd in the sense that I spend an insane amount of time on the computer just gathering random knowledge in the hope that some day I can incorprate it into my life, writings and movies. I play computer games, I read about 'em, I watch a ton of movies, keep pretty up to date on science and technology news, all your typical nerd stuff. My skin is pretty pale from my healthy computer tan, but as nerdy as I am I crack jokes at how nerdy someone is who spends all day playing an online role playing game. And they can crack jokes about all the nerds who play Dungeons and Dragons. Then they can crack jokes on people who LARP (live action role playing). But in the end, we're all brothers. We're all nerds. We all respect each other.

If you ask someone do they have anything they regret, most people will say something along the lines of "no, I only regret the things I didn't do." Which is normally the case with me, but I do have a regret. I do have something I wish I could undo. I wish I could go back to the midnight screening of Return of the King. I wish I could go back and change the way things happened because it is the most shameful moment of my life. You can imagine the crowd of a midnight showing of a movie like that. Everyone who is there is an absolute fan, they've been waiting for it for what seems like forever. And there I was...half way through the movie, tired and fatigued from it being 2 in the morning, people start clapping and shouting because of something in the movie (I don't even remember what it was) and I had the ****ing audacity to yell "SHUT UP YOU NERDS!!!" I wish I could erase that event from the history of time. I regret it in every aspect of the word. I had no right to get pissed off like that. I had no right to try to take away from anyone's enjoyment of the movie, though I am pretty sure I didn't because no one cared, they just wanted to see their movie. Point is, I regret it. It pains me to think I, for a moment, had become that person I hate. In the fat chance in hell anyone that was in that theater is reading this, I apologize from the bottom of my heart for that pathetic act of disrespect. I will make ammends with The LAN.

Nerds are willing to be ostricized by those in the "in crowds" because they know they will always have the support of their fellow nerds, so in this vein I leave you with a paragraph from Penny-Arcade. I find the two authors of PA to be two of the most brilliant people on this planet. I can't even begin to explain how ****ing genius they are to me, but I'll just leave you with this...in August they held their first ever Expo and after it was over Tycho posted this in regards to the event, which almost makes me want to cry every time I read it:

Respect.
Alright, I will admit, I did skim through the link that you provided, and I will admit that you are right about nerds. And I will admit that nerds are simply nerds, and don't give two craps about who says what about them, even if it's fellow nerds to them.

And yes, I have a confession to make.

I too am I nerd. I love comic books, computers, Sci-Fi, Star Wars, Harry Potter (please don't laugh at me...) video games, such as my favorite, Halo, Lord of the Rings, and other such things that nerds enjoy. And I love to make movies. Currently, I'm working on an independent film with a guy from Canada. More on that later.

It appears, OG-, that for once, I have misunderstood the meaning and the intent and purpose of your post. My apologies.

But let's not stay entirelly off-topic. This is a hate thread, and the subject is anime. ONWARD!

Over obsession? I believe that it is now a time for me to clarify the term over obssession:

over obsession- to be obessesed with one thing and to not break away from it; a step above a loser and a nerd.

Now on to clear things up:

Dressing up for a convention in the outfit that your favorite character from whatever it is you enjoy and then taking it off when you get back home or to the hotel: Acceptable

Permanently altering your name or your body to see to it that your favorite character from whatever it is that you enjoy is with you for ever and ever: Not-Acceptable

Now I understand the entire dressing up for the convention thing. That's cool. The second thing, that's what I've been saying the entire time, and yet I feel that people just don't understand why I say that some people are over-obsessed with something. I feel that my not-acceptable definition sums it up fine. Like the name altering thing that I said that those two guys did, or someone permanently tatooing the infamous Harry Potter scar on their forehead, or that Cat-Man you see on Ripley's. I just feel that that is just simply, over doing it. And now that I've cleared that up, let's get back on track with anime.

My girlfriend has just recently shown my pictures of her past trip to a convention down in Columbus, Ohio, and I must say, even though it is to an extent acceptable in my book, a lot of those people are just friggin' weird. Sailor Moon man? Enough said.

As much as I would like to dog these people and say that what they're doing is not acceptable in today's society, I simply cannot, becuase I too am a nerd.

But don't be surprised and angry if my view upon all that may change... sure, I may be OK with it for now, but don't count on me always thinking like that...

But I will say this America!

I still hate anime for all that it is worth! My slogan against it?

Be American. Watch American.

Apparently, the old phrase "Be American, Buy American" just really doesn't work anymore. Things are rarely now made in America. It's all from Asia. And anime is the one thing I hate from Asia, and that's why this here thread was created- to speak out against anime. And look what's happened since? This thread... my thread... is eligible to be nominated for 2 MoFo awards... and sure, some of you may be thinking "Who cares? You'll never win it anyways!" No, probably not, but it's the fact that it's gotten reconized and that there's somewhat of a chance that it can possibly win, and yes, some of the nominations that it could recieve may seem kinda lame or really don't have anything to do with this thread, but I don't care. I'm damn proud starrdarcy is considering giving it a nomination or a person from this thread a nomination. All in all, to me, that's cool.

And it's already came to the point where I'm constantly repeating myself about the hate I have for this stuff, and yes, back to the "everything is made in Asia" thing, I may not be able to stop China from making cheap toys and I know I can't stop the Japs from making and giving to us anime, but I have the right to speak out against it, and what I've just said I have just repeated above. I mainly repeat myself for two reasons:

1. To clear up something
and
2. To continue on an arguement until new opinions and arguements are brought up or a topic change occurs

So now, I tire of mainly just saying "Anime sucks!" and having people like OG- say "Anime's cool!" 24-7. Therefore, I'm stating this new statement on what else I feel on anime, and in no way am I saying this just to gain popularity, more nominations, what have you... I'm saying this because this is another reason why I hate anime, and I will stand up for my reasons against it. And it is:

I think that anime can sometimes be too sexual for younger viewers, i.e. a Digimon episode I had seen back in the day with two young girls taking a shower together with no wall seperating them. A sexual reference? No. Should it have been shown on a kid's TV show on kid's network? No. Are some of the drawings and movies that younger viewers can view a little "too advanced" for them? Yes, I do. Do I feel the same for pornography? Yes. But I feel that these cartoon shows and manga comics (like that Digimon episode) incourage kids to look up pornography at a young age, which is without a doubt, wrong. And they may not just look up human porn, but anime porn, or hentai as well. And that is how I feel and that is my opinion on certain anime to younger audiences. Anyone who wishes to debate it with me, be my guest. That's all this thread is about- a matter of one's opinion.

And this is my BOOMstick!
2 questions: How old are you and do you look at porn yourself? I'm guessing the second one is "yes." At 8-10 yeah it's wrong, 15-17 nah, not really.

Alright, I'll be honest. I have, but then again, who hasn't? It's been a while, anyway. Was any of it influenced by anime? No. And I'll leave it at that

My age? Don't worry about it. As for the age of looking up porn, let alone, anime porn? I don't approve of porn, and therefore I don't think anyone should ever look at. I felt guilty after looking it up, and I got caught, so I know how it feels getting caught red-handed with the stuff- embarassment and guilt. So, even though I can understand where you're coming from with the age thing, I just think it's wrong altogether.

Nice post. Maybe its just me, but you seem like an entirely different person in that post than any other post of yours I've read on this site. Not to say that is a bad thing. I'm not implying all your other posts were idiotic or anything...I just think there is a surprisingly different quality to it, aside from just the grammatical improvement. Good to see.

As much as I enjoyed that post though, I gotta call you out on it. You don't like anime, thats fine, I'm simplying trying to defend anime because I felt the reasons you disliked it weren't very good reasons (and lets face it...gigantic eyes is not a reason to hate something). But now you're giving two points that you weren't really making before. Maybe you just weren't emphasizing them enough before, I dunno, but it seems to me like you're starting to realize that your hatred was pretty blind and that you're grasping out for new reasons. But hey, maybe that is just me.

As for the people who do over-obsess. I agree there are people like that out there and a fair amount of them probably have some mild psychology problems. But for some people it is just a way of life. It isn't anime, but you may want to rent a documentary called Trekkies. It is about Star Trek fans who are admitedly very obsessed with the show, but they give very valid reasons for doing so. It just fits in with my love and respect for nerds, but I think they rule for it.

Hating anime simply because it is from Asia...I don't even know where to begin to touch that. Thats not patriotism, it is just ignorance.

The sexuality in anime. I don't buy that either. Take a look at any anime aimed at kids. All the girls will have nice bodies. They do jump around alot. They scream. They aren't your typical females. But go look at any american cartoon aimed at kids. Look at Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, April was slamming. Check out the old X-Men cartoons...Jean Grey's body was phenomenal!! I'd hit it. Jokes aside, cartoons and anime do have sexual contation to them, but it isn't a level of sexuality that kids will pick up on. Its just beyond them. Its in there for the parents. Its in there for the teenagers. Ask yourself if you ever, at the time, remember noticing the sexualness of a cartoon character or picking up on all the adult humor in a Rugrats episode. Unless your some prodigy, I doubt you can admit to having noticed it.

Some anime is incredibly sexual. Alot do have nudity in them. But those are not being targeted for kids. They are for adults and end level teenagers who can seperate the line between reality and fiction. Some kids may be exposed to that, but it is at no means a fault of anime but a fault of irresponsible parenting.

As for porn, that is a different debate entirely, but porn (like anything else in this world) can be a healthy thing and can be a terrible thing. It all depends on how it is used. If you're going to object to porn you might as well object to guns, but since you're obviously pro-America I doubt you'd do that (not that there is anything wrong with being pro-American).

Since I feel to respond to your post that I might be repeating myself again, I feel this thread needs to make a turn to another direction that it was intended for- starting now, until some NEW argument on anime is brought up, let's debate about fan fiction, and why some of us, as well as I, hate it. I will say this, however... I don't totally hate fanfiction, there's just some of it that I just simply hate. For one, the biblical fanfiction, and the Harry Potter fan fiction, as well as some others. If you wanna see why I hate them, check out my first post (I think it's on there).

some fan fiction is good. i read this really good one about what happened to ash after army of darkness, after that "other" ending.

I feel this thread needs to make a turn to another direction that it was intended for- starting now, until some NEW argument on anime is brought up
You did bring up a new arguement...two actually, about being American and sexuality, I responded to the latter (as the former isn't really an arguement at all) and you effectively ignored it.