Last great Foreign Film you saw

Tools    

WTF are you talking about, Moses?
Here, let me put that in quotes for you so people will know you saw this movie and are refering to one of the lines from it.
That mofo was one bad dude.

Once Were Warriors - rented from wherever. You'll see one fight scene you probably won't forget.

I saw the devil. Absolutely beautiful tragic film on every level, why can't Hollywood make films like these.............

Because the point is to make huge amounts of money and, therefore, they need to appeal to the the most people. Also as the overseas, largely non-English speaking, audience is very important now, action/broad comedies with simple dialogue and easy to follow plots are the order of the day. It's also why the action stars (Arnie, Sly, JCVD, etc) were able to keep churning out the films, regardless of quality or success in the domestic market.

Lol I know that an agree with you, just expressing my frustration. Only takes a film studio with balls to make a film like that then maybe I would spend my money on them. But hey I'm happy to keep watching fantastic world cinema films.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Time Regained (Raoul Ruiz, 1999)

I'm no expert on Chilean director Raoul Ruiz or Marcel Proust, but I do believe that I understand them both much better after watching this epic film, basically covering the entirety of Proust's life. The film is fractured in that the time frames are constantly changing, and I can understand why it may confuse some people, but the film is so lush, so well-acted and so floridly-directed that the pure cinematics will have to draw you in, and if you feel the need to give up (hopefully not) before the ending, I suggest going to the final scene because it has a very simple way of understanding this movie, and dare I say it, almost any movie, at least if it's about someone you recognize as a human being. The cast includes Catherine Deneuve, Emmanuelle Beart, Victor Perez, Marie-France Pisier (R.I.P.), John Malkovich and various actors playing Proust. The real fun for a film freak is to watch Ruiz's technique which uses all sorts of sleight-of-hand, including freeze frames, moving platforms to increase viewer disorientation, extreme long shots with dozens of characters, visual, literary and musical motifs, filters to accentuate which time frame we're seeing and just a general overall command of almost anything which could be considered avant-garde but plays out as a way to reveal rather than to mask.

Donkey Skin (Jacques Demy, 1970)

A lush, "realistic" Charles Perrault (Cinderella) fairy tale with the luscious Catherine Deneuve as both a Queen who dies too young and her daughter who plays the central character here. Demy makes another musical with Deneuve and composer Michel Legrand, following their popular The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and The Young Girls of Rochefort. This one has Jean Marais (the Beast from Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast) as the King, Delphine Seyrig as the Princess's Fairy Godmother (literally the Lavender Fairy) who has an axe to grind with the King, and Jacques Perrin makes a somewhat eccentric Prince Charming who sees the Princess (known as "Donkey Skin" when he sees her) for what she truly is and not a scullery maid. The cinematography is gorgeous, the color scheme is witty and various plot points are very strong, including the use of the Donkey. I won't mention anything else so as not to spoil it, but this is a very adult-themed G-rated flick.

Two Women (Vittorio De Sica, 1960)

This is a latter-day neorealist classic from De Sica, just as good (or better) than his The Bicycle Thief and Umberto D., focusing on a mother (Sophia Loren) and her twelve-year-old daughter (Eleonora Brown) trying to make it throughout Italy during WWII. Jean-Paul Belmondo follows up his Breathless breakthrough here playing a sympathetic Communist who's attracted to Loren. Without any noticeable use of makeup to glamorize her here, Sophia Loren is as beautiful as she's ever been on screen, and what's more, she deserved her Oscar for Best Actress of 1961, no matter how hard it may be for you to believe that someone speaking Italian got an Oscar for such a major category over 50 years ago. Although it may seem to be something of a spoiler, most plot synopses do reveal that the film is about a gang rape suffered by the mother and her daughter and how it affects their relationship and their lives. Perhaps that makes it easier to understand how powerful the film truly is.

Time Regained (Raoul Ruiz, 1999)

I'm no expert on Chilean director Raoul Ruiz or Marcel Proust, but I do believe that I understand them both much better after watching this epic film, basically covering the entirety of Proust's life. The film is fractured in that the time frames are constantly changing, and I can understand why it may confuse some people, but the film is so lush, so well-acted and so floridly-directed that the pure cinematics will have to draw you in, and if you feel the need to give up (hopefully not) before the ending, I suggest going to the final scene because it has a very simple way of understanding this movie, and dare I say it, almost any movie, at least if it's about someone you recognize as a human being. The cast includes Catherine Deneuve, Emmanuelle Beart, Victor Perez, Marie-France Pisier (R.I.P.), John Malkovich and various actors playing Proust. The real fun for a film freak is to watch Ruiz's technique which uses all sorts of sleight-of-hand, including freeze frames, moving platforms to increase viewer disorientation, extreme long shots with dozens of characters, visual, literary and musical motifs, filters to accentuate which time frame we're seeing and just a general overall command of almost anything which could be considered avant-garde but plays out as a way to reveal rather than to mask.

Donkey Skin (Jacques Demy, 1970)

A lush, "realistic" Charles Perrault (Cinderella) fairy tale with the luscious Catherine Deneuve as both a Queen who dies too young and her daughter who plays the central character here. Demy makes another musical with Deneuve and composer Michel Legrand, following their popular The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and The Young Girls of Rochefort. This one has Jean Marais (the Beast from Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast) as the King, Delphine Seyrig as the Princess's Fairy Godmother (literally the Lavender Fairy) who has an axe to grind with the King, and Jacques Perrin makes a somewhat eccentric Prince Charming who sees the Princess (known as "Donkey Skin" when he sees her) for what she truly is and not a scullery maid. The cinematography is gorgeous, the color scheme is witty and various plot points are very strong, including the use of the Donkey. I won't mention anything else so as not to spoil it, but this is a very adult-themed G-rated flick.

Two Women (Vittorio De Sica, 1960)

This is a latter-day neorealist classic from De Sica, just as good (or better) than his The Bicycle Thief and Umberto D., focusing on a mother (Sophia Loren) and her twelve-year-old daughter (Eleonora Brown) trying to make it throughout Italy during WWII. Jean-Paul Belmondo follows up his Breathless breakthrough here playing a sympathetic Communist who's attracted to Loren. Without any noticeable use of makeup to glamorize her here, Sophia Loren is as beautiful as she's ever been on screen, and what's more, she deserved her Oscar for Best Actress of 1961, no matter how hard it may be for you to believe that someone speaking Italian got an Oscar for such a major category over 50 years ago. Although it may seem to be something of a spoiler, most plot synopses do reveal that the film is about a gang rape suffered by the mother and her daughter and how it affects their relationship and their lives. Perhaps that makes it easier to understand how powerful the film truly is.
Yes, Two Women. Love Sophia. A timeless story about strength and suvival of the human spirit. One of the best actresses and one of the most beautiful women of her time.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Love Exposure (Shion Sono, 2008)

Wildly-entertaining four-houe epic from Sono (The Suicide Club, Noriko's Dinner Table) which I find the best of his films which I've seen. It's hard to believe that a film can cram so many different ideas and themes even at four hours, but the pace is frenetic enough that it's done easily and mostly completes the various story arcs successfully. What the movie tackles are subjects involving Christianity, true love, the concepts of sin and perversion, revenge, cult programming and deprogrmming, stalking, terrorism and even a skewed Doris Day/Rock Hudson romantic comedy involving mistaken identity, but here adding the dimension of cross-dressing. Throw in some martial arts, lots of Ravel's Bolero, Beethoven's 7th Symphony and some excellent modern rock songs, and the four hours fly by. I don't want to get into too many plot details because there are several twists and turns, but sometimes the film repeats scenes from different perspectives, so one could be reminded of Pulp Fiction, and there were a few moments I flashed back to Fight Club near the end, but for the most part, this is a highly original comedy-drama which perhaps is a little too outrageous to be taken completely seriously, but is honest enough to still create a considerable amount of power.

Shame (Ingmar Bergman, 1968)

This is one Bergman's best films of the 1960s. It allows him to make statements about war in general and Vietnam in particular. Here there appears to be a civil war going on involving two political factions, but since it's seen from the perspective of a married couple who live on a remote island and don't understand why the war is actually occurring, the reasons for the war are never actually explained. The couple is having some marital problems, apparently because the husband (Max von Sydow) committed some infidelities and the wife (Liv Ullmann) wants to have some children, but the war complicates everything, especially as the film progresses. At first, the war is only "heard" over a radio which periodically seems to break or from a few neighbors who seem friendly enough. Eventually, one of the sides bombs the island and later sends over troops who kill most of the villagers who live near the couple. However, this doesn't actually bode well for the two because eventually they're considered enemy sympathizers by their previous "friends". Bergman does a good job of conveying the horrors of war with a small budget, and his film is very visceral with more traditional storytelling and less surrealism than usual, but there are still plenty of nightmarish images, some dreams to interpret and an almost Kafkaesque feeling of utter helplessness, especially during the finale, which firmly allows Shame to fit comfortably into Bergman's oeurve.

Love Exposure (Shion Sono, 2008)

Wildly-entertaining four-houe epic from Sono (The Suicide Club, Noriko's Dinner Table) which I find the best of his films which I've seen. It's hard to believe that a film can cram so many different ideas and themes even at four hours, but the pace is frenetic enough that it's done easily and mostly completes the various story arcs successfully. What the movie tackles are subjects involving Christianity, true love, the concepts of sin and perversion, revenge, cult programming and deprogrmming, stalking, terrorism and even a skewed Doris Day/Rock Hudson romantic comedy involving mistaken identity, but here adding the dimension of cross-dressing. Throw in some martial arts, lots of Ravel's Bolero, Beethoven's 7th Symphony and some excellent modern rock songs, and the four hours fly by. I don't want to get into too many plot details because there are several twists and turns, but sometimes the film repeats scenes from different perspectives, so one could be reminded of Pulp Fiction, and there were a few moments I flashed back to Fight Club near the end, but for the most part, this is a highly original comedy-drama which perhaps is a little too outrageous to be taken completely seriously, but is honest enough to still create a considerable amount of power.

Shame (Ingmar Bergman, 1968)

This is one Bergman's best films of the 1960s. It allows him to make statements about war in general and Vietnam in particular. Here there appears to be a civil war going on involving two political factions, but since it's seen from the perspective of a married couple who live on a remote island and don't understand why the war is actually occurring, the reasons for the war are never actually explained. The couple is having some marital problems, apparently because the husband (Max von Sydow) committed some infidelities and the wife (Liv Ullmann) wants to have some children, but the war complicates everything, especially as the film progresses. At first, the war is only "heard" over a radio which periodically seems to break or from a few neighbors who seem friendly enough. Eventually, one of the sides bombs the island and later sends over troops who kill most of the villagers who live near the couple. However, this doesn't actually bode well for the two because eventually they're considered enemy sympathizers by their previous "friends". Bergman does a good job of conveying the horrors of war with a small budget, and his film is very visceral with more traditional storytelling and less surrealism than usual, but there are still plenty of nightmarish images, some dreams to interpret and an almost Kafkaesque feeling of utter helplessness, especially during the finale, which firmly allows Shame to fit comfortably into Bergman's oeurve.

As you apparantly like Shion Sono, check ou my review of his Cold Fish. You may find that movie interesting.

I guess now you are hooked, as there are five more of those.
Not really. I have the second in the series and I'll certainly watch that and then I'll probably just see them as and when I get the chance for free.

Flowers of War (2011)

At 2 1/2 hrs its a little too long to sustain my interest. Pro: The cinematography. Con: A horrific account of the Nanking massacre becomes a spectacle in some action sequences.