9 to 5 reboot - Jennifer Aniston producing

Tools    

Jennifer Aniston is looking to produce a reimagining of the glass-breaking, female driven 1980 comedy 9 to 5. Juno Oscar winner Diablo Cody is writing and Aniston will produce under her Echo Films label with Kristin Hahn.

Directed by Colin Higgins and starring Dolly Parton, Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda, the movie followed three female office employes who turn the tables on their sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot boss played by Dabney Coleman. The pic was a huge blockbuster back in the day grossing over $103M.

The movie was nominated for an original song Oscar for Parton’s title theme song. The song went platinum and was also nominated for four Grammy Award nominations, winning Best Country Song and Best Country Vocal Performance.

The movie was spun off into an ABC sitcom of the same name in 1982-1983, as well as a 2008 Broadway musical which earned four Tony nominations. Recently there was a 2022 documentary Still Working 9 to 5 which reflected on the pic’s impact 40 years later.

Cody recently wrote the Focus Features’ movie Lisa Frankenstein which grossed just under $10M stateside. Aniston’s producing credits include The Morning Show, the Murder Mystery Netflix feature franchise, Friends: The Reunion. She also starred in and EP’ed the Netflix movie Dumplin‘ which had a soundtrack by Parton. In that movie, Aniston and Danielle Macdonald perform the Parton-penned ditty “Push and Pull.”

Do we know which role Aniston is playing?
So far, only the role of producer.

I would expect younger actors would be hired for the leading parts.

She's not starring in it? That's odd.
The only thing the story mentions is that she's producing the movie - that's all that we know so far. That doesn't absolutely rule out that she could also act in the movie, but typically when a major celebrity starts out as the producer of a movie, it also lowers the chance they will also star in it.

I'd picture Aniston now at her age in Lily Tomlins role, or Jane Fondas. You know with woke Hollywood theyre gonna cast a black woman, my guess to take Dollys part. Beyonce?! The boss should be Mel Gibson Too bad that it won't be, but that'd be funny.

They should do it as a musical and cast Taylor Swift, Beyonce, and Lady Gaga.
If they did that, it would be bigger than Barbie! (probably)

There is already a stage musical of 9 to 5, wouldn't that be confusing? Not to mention if Aniston is planning to play one of the roles, she can't sing.

I'm hoping Aniston does star in it. She's a fairly mediocre actor. There are several other better actors I would prefer be cast.

I'm hoping Aniston does star in it. She's a fairly mediocre actor. There are several other better actors I would prefer be cast.
Well I wouldn't argue she's a great actor, but her screen persona is likable enough and popular enough to overcome her limitations as a thespian.

However she's in her mid 50s and we all know how much Hollywood hates giving prominent parts to women over 40 (it's a despicable habit, of course I would love to see it eliminated).

My guess is they'll cast actors in their 20s and 30s for the leads, the boss could be someone in their 40s or 50s unless they get Meryl Streep, whose age isn't held against her because she's such a phenomenon.