SpelingError's Top 100 Favorite Short Films

Tools    

Have you seen Twelve Monkeys as well?
Oh yeah, I only came to know of La Jetee because of it.

Un Chien Andalou (1929, Luis Buñuel)

Yeesh! (In a good way)

Difficult to watch, but certainly one of a kind.

I'm going to post a couple of links to some of the shorts I love, but I know have zero chance of being in the final 7.

The cartoon holiday special is actually Garfield's Halloween Adventure. If you've never seen it, I highly recommend checking it out. Not only is it classic Garfield, but it's a surprisingly effective and funny ghost story.

I occasionally go on a short horror film kick, and the film I hinted was about "dancing" is my personal favorite. No dialog. Simple premise. Bone chilling.

I'm going to post a couple of links to some of the shorts I love, but I know have zero chance of being in the final 7.

The cartoon holiday special is actually Garfield's Halloween Adventure. If you've never seen it, I highly recommend checking it out. Not only is it classic Garfield, but it's a surprisingly effective and funny ghost story.

I enjoyed that one a good bit, particularly the second half.

I occasionally go on a short horror film kick, and the film I hinted was about "dancing" is my personal favorite. No dialog. Simple premise. Bone chilling.

That one had an effective premise, even though it culminated the way I expected it to.

That one had an effective premise, even though it culminated the way I expected it to.

Yeah, the main thumbnail spoils it, but I still love the bizarre personality of the "other". She feels like one of the fey/feywild. Playful, but with quite a temper.

The Vampires of Poverty (1978, Carlos Mayolo and Luis Ospina)

It reminds me of the film "The Magic Christian".

It reminds me of the film "The Magic Christian".
I haven't seen that one.

While watching it, I was mainly thinking about Cannibal Holocaust since both films criticize the opportunism of documentarians and the media for going too far for personal gain. The Vampires of Poverty is far more sincere about its themes though and is the scathing critique of its subject matter which Deodato's film fell short of.

I haven't seen that one.

While watching it, I was mainly thinking about Cannibal Holocaust since both films criticize the opportunism of documentarians and the media for going too far for personal gain. The Vampires of Poverty is far more sincere about its themes though and is the scathing critique of its subject matter which Deodato's film fell short of.

True, it does have more in common with that, in that regard. The Magic Christian is more about mocking greed and 'upper class culture'.

What do you guys think the top 5 will be?
Meshes of the Afternoon

Thriller

Garfield's Christmas

Garfield's Thanksgiving

Garfield Babes and Bullets

(Which is to say besides the top two, I have no idea.)

Grim (1985, Takashi Ito)

Very impressive! I really enjoyed the visuals and sound. The meaning behind it all is a bit over my head, but Ito manages to keep the intensity and energy going for a full 8 minutes and never feels repetitive. Excellent short film.