My Favorite Movie Teachers

Tools    

Really? These are pretty mainstream films...a lot of them can be watched online.
I was looking for Conrack. I was hooked to see midnight cowboy as a teacher, plus the story looks interesting, but couldn't find it anywhere.

Louanne Johnson, Dangerous Minds

One of Michelle Pfeiffer's biggest hits had her playing a former marine who becomes an inner city high school teacher.

Alex Jurel, Teachers

Nick Nolte played the very popular teacher at a high school that is being sued because a student was given a diploma without learning how to read or write.

James Leeds, Children of a Lesser God

James (William Hurt) plays a speech teacher at a school for the deaf who falls in love with one of his students (Oscar winner Marlee Matlin).

Ken Carter, Coach Carter

Samuel L. Jackson hits the list again as a basketball coach who returns to his alma mater to become the new basketball coach and makes it clear to his players that there is life after basketball. He makes them sign a detailed contract which includes keeping their grades at a certain level. Despite their first winning season, when a couple of the players grades begin to slip, Carter puts a lock on the gym doors until the guys get their grades up.

Miss Shields, A Christmas Story

An actress I've never seen anywhere else named Tedde Moore carved herself a niche in cinema history with her beautifully underplayed role of the teacher who assigns Ralphie (Peter Billingsley) his ultimate theme and stands by Flick (Scott Schwartz) during his encounter with a telephone pole.

Veronica Vaughn, Billy Madison

Bridgette Wilson-Sampras was pretty much sex on legs as the third grade teacher of Billy (Adam Sandler) who falls instantly in love with her.

Mr. McAllister and Dewey Finn would be alot higher on mine. Haven't seen most, i like all the ones i have except Michelle Pfeiffer in Dangerous Minds; thought she was pretty terrible in that personally.

Alfred Kinsey, Kinsey

Liam Neesom had one of his best roles as the famed college professor whose work on male sexuality challenged everyone in his orbit.

Mr. Miyagi, The Karate Kid

Pat Morita received an Oscar nomination for his performance as a mild mannered handyman who is also a karate master, sharing his skill with a young man (Ralph Macchio) being seriously bullied, in one of the biggest surprise hits of 1984.

Ms. Rain, Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire

Paula Patton was impressive as the sympathetic teacher to the title character (Gabourey Sidibe), the sad and slightly high school student and mother of one with another on the way.

#23. Interesting. One of my favorite movies, but I didn't expect Mr. Miyagi to show up on this list. I thought it was confined to school teachers (and remember the "Miyagi-Do" karate school was contrived at the last minute so Daniel could enter the tournament).
But he was a sensei, so yes, he was a teacher.

But Rex Kwon-Do was also a sensei...

#23. Interesting. One of my favorite movies, but I didn't expect Mr. Miyagi to show up on this list. I thought it was confined to school teachers (and remember the "Miyagi-Do" karate school was contrived at the last minute so Daniel could enter the tournament).
But he was a sensei, so yes, he was a teacher.

But Rex Kwon-Do was also a sensei...
Well, I had included Shirley MacLaine in Madame Sousastaka, who was a private piano teacher, not a school teacher, and Coach Carter didn't really teach, he was the basketball coach.

Richard Dadier, Blackboard Jungle

One of the first and most famous "white teacher in an inner city school" movies...Glenn Ford plays Dadier, a new teacher trying to find the best form of discipline for some troublesome students. Some of Dadier's students were played by future stars Sidney Poitier, Vic Morrow, and Jamie Farr.

Jack Lengyel, We are Marshall

Matthew McConaughey gave one of his best performances as a football coach trying to rebuild his team after losing several players in a plane crash.