Okay Films

→ in
Tools    

movies can be okay...
Thank you.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

movies can be okay...
Two Days, One Night (2014)

Description:
"Two Days, One Night" is a French film about Sandra, a woman who has a weekend to convince the majority of her workmates to give up a raise in order to keep her job.
Thoughts:
Marion Cotillard does a great job at playing Sandra, a female who's fighting depression and for her place in a factory, she definitely sells and carries this film from beginning to end, and while I did find her character quite frustrating and annoying at times, It could also be argued that it adds to the authenticity of her persona, furthermore, she definitely deserved the Oscar nomination for this role, she lost weight just so she can appear like a woman who's recovering from an illness, and she also made sure to put in subtle details in her performance that added to the realism.
While you do want the lead to win over her colleagues, you can still understand why many of them are choosing to keep the bonus instead, so the movie has a unique neutral perspective on the happening events.
Personally, while I did find the main girl's acting amazing, that didn't stop it from reaching levels where it nearly became unbearable to watch, Sandra really frustrated me and got on my nerves, but I'm on the fence about holding it against the film or not.
Rating:
Overall, "Two Days, One Night" is a well paced drama with an incredible performance, and an honourable message to convey. This is a high Matinee

movies can be okay...
Audition (1999)

"Audition" is a Japanese comedy, whoops I mean horror film about a widower who is looking for a new wife, and he decides to set up an audition in order to find the woman he wants.

See, when it comes to horror films, it's either a hit or miss for me, no in-between, I usually love the slow paced ones such as The "VVitch", "The Curse" and "The House of The Devil". I thought "Audition" started out pretty strongly, it had the criteria of what's considered an enjoyable horror movie in my eyes, the story kept me interested, and it never bored me despite its long running time. The main character is Shigeharu, he is looking for a new woman to spend the rest of his life with, and he sets his eyes on Asami during the process of an audition. The film does a great job at showing how creepy and vague this girl is, there isn't much information given about her, which keeps you interested in seeing her true intentions. The lead up to the climax is pretty suspenseful and intense, and once the movie hits the point of no return, it really doesn't shy away. Now on to some spoilers....

WARNING: "Ending Spoilers" spoilers below
So what I really couldn't wait to talk about was the ending...and how farcical it was ! I found Asami HILARIOUS, especially when she kept saying "Kikire kire kire kireee..." I thought that was the funniest thing, and then when she nonchalantly started sawing his leg off using the metal wire, I really couldn't stop laughing at that as well, OH ! And here's the best part ! When the son comes home and sees his dad all messed up, and he's just like "Dad....are you okay ?" meanwhile the father has his leg cut off, he's bleeding everywhere, and there are needles covering most of his body, ehhhhh of course he is okay why wouldn't he be.

There isn't much wrong about "Audition", but I've seen too many horror films to be scared by it, if you're into slow paced films, this is definitely a must watch, especially with that satisfying climax. This is a high
Matinee.

movies can be okay...
Benny's Video (1992)

"Benny's Video" is an Austrian film about 14 year old Benny, who is obsessed with watching violent acts on film, to the point where he decides to commit murder in order to fulfil his fantasy.

(This review doesn't depict how I currently feel about the film, so check this link out to see my thoughts on it after a second watch: https://www.movieforums.com/communit...30#post1680030)
Similarly to Michael Haneke's other work "Funny Games", the film plays on the audience's predilection for violence, by presenting to us a video enthusiast who becomes eager to catalyse what he sees on tape, the director asks the viewer if the careless representation of violence in the media can lead to creating more psychopaths than ever, and the movie is essentially an argument for the case he's making, my personal answer would be no. This character study of Benny is a realistic take on the behaviour of a sociopath, it is also neatly acted considering the lead is only a teenager. Furthermore, Haneke conveys another statement on what would the modern bourgeoisie family do in such a situation, but he presents it in a hyperbolic manner that took me out of the invested state I was in. There are also a bunch of stale moments that don't really add anything to the story, yet are still in the final cut. The ending is what bumped my rating up a little bit, otherwise this would of been "Funny Games 2: The Prequel Sequel".

"Benny's Video" can be interesting at times, but the dull scenes are very overshadowing, not to mention, I got tired of the director constantly whacking my head with his message instead of delivering it subtly. This is a high
Rental.

movies can be okay...
A Town Called Panic (2009)

"A Town Called Panic" is a French Belgian film about the crazy adventures of a horse, a cowboy and an Indian man.

In this mad town, the colourful characters move around in a herky jerky manner, behave mindlessly and similarly to looney tunes, not to mention, the used stop-motion style adds to the entertainment value, then the voice acting is the cherry on top. It is quite impossible to dislike this crazy flick, with only a running time of 76 minutes, it keeps itself short, sweet and hilarious. The plot is all over the place...in an actual good way ! The three main figures embark on a journey that just keeps getting more ridiculous by the second, at one point they find themselves in the steaming hot centre of the earth ! The lack of seriousness is what makes the film so darn delightful. My only issue is the last 10 minutes of the movie, and its drop of quality and entertainment, somehow, someway, the fun reached its end of the rope before this circus-like film finished itself.

"A Town Called Panic" successfully does exactly what it's made to do, its refreshing style and humorous characters, get you invested into the occurring bizarre events. This is a high
Matinee.

I didn't dislike Audition, but I was disappointed by it. I thought it was just ok.

On the other hand, A Town Called Panic was a big surprise for me.

I've had Benny's Video on my radar for a while. I should get to it at some point.

movies can be okay...
I didn't dislike Audition, but I was disappointed by it. I thought it was just ok.

On the other hand, A Town Called Panic was a big surprise for me.

I've had Benny's Video on my radar for a while. I should get to it at some point.
I was disappointed by Audition too, the ending was intended to be scary but I ended up laughing so hard at it.
Benny's Video....ehhhhhh, you probably shouldn't be in a hurry to get to it, but that's just my opinion.

movies can be okay...
The Internet's Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz (2014)

Description:
"The Internet's Own Boy" is a biographical documentary film, about the lead up to the suicide of the internet pioneer, and leftist activist, Aaron Swartz.
Thoughts:
Aaron Swartz's documentary is mostly about his astonishing accomplishments, the inequitable justice system, living up to our principles and his influence on today's world.
This biography is very informative, it not only enlightens the viewers on how much of an instrumental Aaron is, when it comes to how the internet currently functions, but also how deceiving the government can be with its overzealous prosecutions, which this information activist was a victim of.
It is also morally inspiring, here is this young man who stands by his principles even when his life is on the line, and that to me is pretty powerful.
Despite the film-makers trying to make this biography balanced, by reaching out to opposing points of views, that doesn't stop it any less from being such a tribute, and that is a significant problem I detest when it comes to documentaries, it lacks any minimal sense of criticism which leaves the presented story to be quite one dimensional and one sided.
Rating:
I would still recommend this engaging morality tale to anyone, since it has enough heart to make a connection with everyone, not to mention, it has a bunch of inspiring morals to it that can teach us how to become better human beings. This is a Matinee.

movies can be okay...
Force Majeure (2014)

Description:
"Force Majeure" is a Swedish black comedy drama, about a family's vacation turning into a disaster, after the father prioritised his own escape over saving his blood, during an avalanche.
Thoughts:
Even though Ebba and Tomas (the parents) are the main characters, the film doesn't necessarily emphasise on just their relationship, but in fact, it could be argued that the central focus is instead a theme, and not a specific person, that theme being gender expectations in our society.
Ruben Östlund, the director, smartly films this picture by giving each shot a great sense of framing, he also is such a perfectionist to the point where while on the set, he plays death metal music to capture authentic shots of the actors, showing the sentiment of grief.
This drama is full of tension, frustration and awkwardness, and the actors greatly perform their persona, and project these emotions into the screen very well.
There's supposed to be a comedic aspect to the movie, but I personally didn't get that, except for this one hilarious scene near the end, that earned a lot of laughter out of me.
The cinematography is incredible, giving me a massive desire to visit the French Alps in the future.
The resolution of the main conflict is quite the fresh approach, and the ending has a lot of interpretations to it, which leaves the viewers craving for a conversation.
My only problem with the film is its repetitive and annoying soundtrack, but at the same time I can't be too mad, since it also introduced me to a quite catchy song.
Rating:
"Force Majeure" is a thought-provoking, self-aware, artsy movie, that I highly recommend. It has an engaging avalanche of events, and well developed characters to look forward to. This is a Full Price.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
"Okay Films", at first I thought it was a thread about mediocre films, you know, just okay, not great.

Haven't seen any of the ones mentioned, so far.

movies can be okay...
Magical Girl (2014)

Description:
"Magical Girl" is a Spanish film about the intersection of three people's lives; Luis, an unemployed literature teacher who tries to realise the last wish of his ill daughter, Barbara, a disturbed woman who suffers from mental disorders, and Damian, a retired maths professor who has recently got out of jail.
Thoughts:
Each of the main characters have compelling stories that will easily get you hooked, and once they intersect with each other, it makes for a flawlessly assembled puzzle that doesn't feel forced, it also doesn't hurt that the three leads, pull off some great performances.
The director of the film, Carlos Vermut, develops an eerie atmosphere that stays throughout the movie, he also scatters metaphorical subtleties that make a double entendre, whether it's by imagery, dialogue, connections or details, which results into having a newer experience during second glance. Furthermore, there are things that are left for interpretation, provoking the viewer's thoughts, and that adds to the powerfulness of the film.
The movie also follows the rules of film noir, the cinematography consists of every shot looking pale and sick, which makes this feature much more effective.
The music resembles the final piece of the puzzle, it is so fitting and memorable while also playing its own important role.
This is such an interesting and thought-provoking motion picture, it ably captures the impact that a butterfly effect can provoke, and once the end comes, chills will be left down your spine.
Rating:
Despite its slow pace, "Magical Girl" manages to hook its audience by incredible storytelling that lead to an intense climax. This is a high Full Price.

movies can be okay...
My Father and My Son (2005)

So apparently, this is supposed to be one of the best foreign films of all time, and the best Turkish film of all time, it even has a score of 8.6 on IMDb, not to mention it's ranked #89 on the top 250, so here is little ole me thinking I'm about to watch a masterpiece.....come to find out, this is one of the worst films I've ever seen in my life. I couldn't even finish watching this piece of garbage, because I was having a mental breakdown. Seriously though...what are you people thinking ? What exactly can anyone see in this ? I really can't wrap my head around it ! The acting is something straight out of Trolls 2, it looks so bad and so forced, the way the actors read their lines is just magical, it's something I've never seen before. And the constant mood swings of these "characters", they literally transition from being happy, to being sad, to being happy again in a matter of a minute. The dialogue....oh my god let me not even get into that. This is an unredeemable, horrendous ******** of a movie, that has crappy production, directing, acting, plot, pacing, it is all rubbish. I can't believe I wasted my time on this, I hate this film, I ****ing hate it so much ! I will gladly give this a **** YOU!

movies can be okay...
Elevator to the Gallows (1958)

Description:
"Elevator to the Gallows" is a French film about a wealthy industrialist getting murdered by his employee, who unintentionally leaves evidence behind, thus leading to an unfortunate chain of events, when he goes back to cover up his tracks.
Thoughts:
Once Julien Tavernier goes back to retrieve a rope from the crime scene, he gets stuck on an elevator for the rest of the night, leading to his car getting stolen, and his love interest wandering the Paris streets asking for his whereabouts.
The story is the most intriguing part of this film noir, it keeps you on the edge of your seat, wondering what the next scene has in store, although, there are quite a lot of apparent plot holes that take away from the enjoyment you could have, but none of them are substantial enough to ruin the movie.
The main characters are a bunch of anti-heroes, making the film feel fresh due to its uniqueness, while the acting might not be exceptional, it is enough to produce quality scenes.
The director does a great job with his cinematographer, by shooting each scene beautifully and skilfully, while also capturing some breathtaking imagery of the Parisian surroundings.
The jazz score is incredible to listen to, it guides the audience through the occurring events, while also adding to the realism of the setting and the time period.
The screenplay can use some modifications for the better, but just like the other flaws of the film, it isn't weighty to the point of complete ruination.
Rating:
Louis Malle does a great job with his first feature film, it is high class, and a lot of highlights. This is a Matinee.

movies can be okay...
Thank you. I'm intentionally only watching films that don't get much attention, those tend to be my favourites. But I will be posting some extremely well known ones that I haven't gotten to see yet.

I've seen from your list only Funny Games (2007), Ida (2013) and Audition (1999) kiri kiri kiri kiri - I'm canceling all my acupuncture sessions .

Have you checked some of Eric Rohmer's or Robert Bresson's stuff?

movies can be okay...
The Bicycle Thief (1948)

Description:
"The Bicycle Thief" is an Italian film set after WWII, when the opportunity of employment is slim, a poor father has to find his stolen bicycle or else he will be fired from his job, and won't be able to feed his already struggling family.
Thoughts:
Since Italy was in such a poor shape post-war, the film ably portrays the conditions during that time period, by showing the importance of having any available job for the Italian men, the former builds up the significance of the stolen bicycle, and how devastating it would be if the protagonist isn't able to find it by the end of the movie.
Therefore, we follow Antonio, who's wandering Rome's streets, searching the corners of the city, trying to find his bike, bringing along his kid Bruno, who adds some humorous scenes and encounters, that break from time to time the ongoing tension that the film builds.
Lamberto Maggiorani steals the show with his ability to showcase powerful emotions, such as misery, frustration, desperation, hope...all through his facial expressions, no dialogue is needed to understand and feel what this man is going through, meanwhile, the superb cinematography neatly captures the distressing situation of that time's society.
From just a simple concept, Vittorio De Sica was able to build a masterpiece, by his amazing directing, especially in the final scene where the breaking point is reached, I was literally at the edge of my seat.
Rating:
This is a must-see film and I can't get enough of praising it, I tried to find a flaw within it but I miserably failed. This is an extremely high Full Price.