Oscar's Best Cinematography 2017

Tools    

Who delivered the Best Cinematography of 2017?
0%
0 votes
Greig Fraser, LION
13.33%
2 votes
James Laxton, MOONLIGHT
20.00%
3 votes
Rodrigo Prieto, SILENCE
46.67%
7 votes
Linus Sandgren, LA LA LAND
20.00%
3 votes
Bradford Young, ARRIVAL
15 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The five nominees for the Best Cinematography of the year are...

Greig Fraser, Lion

James Laxton, Moonlight

Rodrigo Prieto, Silence

Linus Sandgren, La La Land

Bradford Young, Arrival
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The only thing we knew for sure about this particular award coming in is that for the first time in three years it would NOT be won by Emmanuel Lubezki. He had run the table, having won for Gravity, Birdman, and The Revenant back-to-back-to-back. He had no films released this year, but look out for the next Oscars: 2017 should see his work in films by Alfonso Cuarón AND Terrence Malick both hit the big screen!

The thirteen-time Oscar nominee and never a winner Roger Deakins doesn't get a shot to break his streak in a non-Lubezki year since his only effort of 2016, The Coen Brothers' Hail, Caesar!, went completely unnominated. But he'll have an excellent chance at a nomination, at least, next year since he has lensed the Blade Runner sequel for Denis Villeneuve.

These five Oscar nominees match the five American Society of Cinematographer Awards exactly.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	el.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	28602  

This might just do nobody any good.
I might actually punch someone if Silence doesn't get this.

WARNING: spoilers below
i haven't seen Moonlight but I liked the Wong Kar-wai, Neon-ish look it's got going on, though.

The thirteen-time Oscar nominee and never a winner Roger Deakins doesn't get a shot to break his streak in a non-Lubezki year since his only effort of 2016, The Coen Brothers' Hail, Caesar!, went completely unnominated. But he'll have an excellent chance at a nomination, at least, next year since he has lensed the Blade Runner sequel for Denis Villeneuve.
I don't know, the guy was nominated twice in 2008, and still doesn't win, they might just keep juggling him around.

But in all seriousness, yes, he's one of the greats, it's a shame it hasn't happened yet.

This might just do nobody any good.
Thing about Deakins is that I don't think any Oscar win for him could be considered consolatory. He is never undeserving of it.

True, but it'd be a nice apology for No Country for Old Men being nominated without a win.

They just did it for Ennio Morricone, I can't imagine they'd let such a favorite go without a win, or at least an honorary, very, very soon.

La La Land
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Only seen two of these. Hard for me to imagine seeing something that looks better than La La Land though, gets my vote. Damn, I need to see Moonlight before the ceremony.

I hated La La Land's cinematography. I think people have production design in mind: sets, costuming, color schemes. I thought the photography itself was very average.