Oscar's Best Actress 2017

Tools    

Who do you think was Best Actress this year?
10.53%
2 votes
Isabelle Huppert, ELLE
5.26%
1 votes
Ruth Negga, LOVING
47.37%
9 votes
Natalie Portman, JACKIE
36.84%
7 votes
Emma Stone, LA LA LAND
0%
0 votes
Meryl Streep, FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS
19 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The top five lead performances by women, according to the Academy.

Isabelle Huppert, Elle
Ruth Negga, Loving
Natalie Portman, Jackie
Emma Stone, La La Land
Meryl Streep, Florence Foster Jenkins
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'd be okay with Huppert taking it, I haven't seen the movie but I've always really liked her. Still, I was blown away from Portman.

Agreed on the fact that Portman was mind blowing. She took a really poorly written/executed script and redirected all eyes on her.

I've only watched La La Land, so I can't really comment on this one, but I've been wanting to get to every single one of the others. Annette Bening probably should've replaced Streep, because really, I haven't watched the movie, and I'm sure she's predictably great, but come on now, we can afford to not nominate her every once in a while. I'm still salty about her Into the Woods nomination.

Surprised Rebecca Hall wasn't nominated for Christine. I've seen more praise for her than anyone else
I've constantly read how people were so sure she would be snubbed. They were right. I do want to see it though, and you're right that she got a lot of praise.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
It does get sickening really. It's like washed up athletes getting nominated for all star games and pro bowls. Florence Foster Jenkins probably had no business being nominated. Hell, even August: Osage County she shouldn't have been nominated for.

The funny thing is I believe one of her best performances, The Hours, she wasn't even nominated.

It's kind of a bummer because she is a great actress. It's a clear case where hype can really hurt something.

She is usually good but she has never blown me away. Maybe i've just seen the wrong films of hers.
I haven't seen too many of her movies but she seems very reliable, consistent and always puts enthusiasm into her work. That's why, ultimately, I like her - even if seeing her nominated every freaking year does gets to me as much as everyone else.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
She is usually good but she has never blown me away. Maybe i've just seen the wrong films of hers.
This. Nothing I've seen has wowed me. I think my best chance of being wowed will be to see Sophie's Choice.

The funny thing is I believe one of her best performances, The Hours, she wasn't even nominated.
The Hours got three acting noms. Nicole Kidman as Best Actress (she won), Julianne Moore as Best Supporting Actress, and Ed Harris as Best Supporting Actor. But not Streep. Not that time.

This is Meryl's twentieth Oscar nomination, sixteenth as Best Actress. She still "only" has the three wins, for Sophie's Choice, The Iron Lady, and Kramer vs. Kramer, but it seems that as long as she draws breath she will garner Oscar nominations. She'll turn sixty-eight this summer, and if she lives and continues to work into her eighties she may well wind up with upwards of forty nominations, at this rate.

Florence Foster Jenkins is pretty lightweight if odd stuff, but that doesn't stop the Academy from honoring her. At least it didn't wind up with noms in Picture or anything else big (its only other nomination was in Best Achievement in Costume Design).

But, yeah, she's unstoppable. Apparently.

Rebecca Hall in Christine was definitely one of my very favorite performances of the year, female or otherwise, and while I didn't expect it to crack through at the Oscars I'm still disappointed that it didn't. Amy Adams can't seem to catch a break, and even though she was in both Arrival and Nocturnal Animals, she'll have to wait for her sixth nomination. One of these days she'll win, surely. Taraji P. Henson had a shot at her second nomination with Hidden Figures but missed the cut, there wasn't enough momentum behind The Girl on the Train for Emily Blunt to make the list, Hailee Steinfeld was a joy in The Edge of Seventeen but it was too little seen, in another year Kate Beckinsale may have garnered all kinds of awards for her work in Love & Friendship, Annette Bening has some rotten Oscar luck too unnominated for 20th Century Women, and Sally Field was as great as ever in Hello, My Name is Doris.

Personally I like every single one of those better than Meryl Streep in Florence Foster Jenkins. But whatareyougonnado?

While Streep's obligatory nom took a spot away from some very deserving performances, I do like that the Academy managed to lift up Ruth Negga even if they otherwise neglected Loving, and while Isabelle Huppert's nom feels a lot more like a career achievement acknowledgment than an especially astounding performance in Elle, it's kind of criminal that she had never been nominated before so I'll allow it.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	hall.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	28603  

I picked Emma Stone for the win in this category, but Meryl, who was awesome in Florence Foster Jenkins, and Natalie are possible winners.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa