jiraffejustin's 500+ favorite films

→ in
Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
12. Essential Killing (2010; Jerzy Skolimowski)

The lack of dialogue aids this film in that deters it from becoming political, which is what Skolimowski wanted. Instead we just see a man's fight-or-flight response for 80 minutes. It's kind of like a more realistic version of The Naked Prey. Which we may or may not see later on in the list.

13. Autumn Sonata (1978; Ingmar Bergman)

Bergman's color films take advantage of the fact that they are in color, and perhaps nobody better utilized color than Bergman. The colors in this film all add to the environment in that they make you feel like you've been covered with a wet blanket. Autumn was a fitting season for the title, because this is a world where all the leaves have died and it's cold and rainy.

14. The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears (2013; Hélène Cattet & Bruno Forzani)

Speaking of utilizing color... This is like the co-directors' other film, Amer, on steroids. Surrealist giallo: If you are me, this is probably the two-word combo that would get you most excited to see a film. The music is dope too.

I can't believe I still haven't watched The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears.

15. L'Age d'Or (1930; Luis Buñuel)

To keep the string of connecting the previous movie with the one that follows: Speaking of surreal... Buñuel's first feature and he was aided by Salvador freaking Dali.

16. Beauty and the Beast (1991; Gary Trousdale & Kirk Wise)

For some reason I always thought that I would dislike this movie, maybe it's because it's a musical? I don't know, but I was wrong. It's a Disney classic, and it deserves its reputation.

17. The Earrings of Madame de... (1953; Max Ophüls)

dem tracking shots tho. Peep the costume design, acting, cinematography, and Vittorio de Sica showing that he wasn't just a great director.

18. A Town Called Panic (2009; Stéphane Aubier & Vincent Patar)

A whimsical delight of a stop-motion animation film. It's very funny and so dadgum silly. If you want to just watch a light-hearted, joyous film, then you need to watch this one.

19. The City of the Dead a.k.a. Horror Hotel (1960; John Moxey)

Atmosphere in spades. If you want to see this movie, make sure you get the uncensored British version. The American version removed the "O Lucifer" lines.

20. The Best Years of Our Lives (1946; William Wyler)

A great set of characters portrayed by a great cast. That's my main draw to the film. I enjoy my time in the presence of these characters even when things aren't going the way you'd like them to go.

I'm thinking this thread will be my go-to for recs from now on.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
good taste mad rep
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Big thumbs up for Best Years, Autumn Sonata, and A Town Called Panic. I'm not a Beauty and the Beast fan and Earrings was a well done movie that didn't capture my interest a whole lot.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Apartment isn't my favorite movie of any of the main cast, but it's a great movie.
Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite Disney movies. It's a wonderful combination of a classic story, great characters, and terrific songs.
A Town Called Panic is a bit strange, but I kind of liked it.
The Best Years of Our Lives is another great movie.

21. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920; Robert Wiene)

One of the coolest looking films of all-time. The angles of the sets are a sight to behold. And it's a dope proto-slasher. What's not to love?

22. Bigger Than Life (1956; Nicholas Ray)

A CinemaScope picture that is beautiful on the eyes, but has an ugly underbelly. It's basically sh*tting on the nuclear family lifestyle of the 1950s. It's a really frightening film. It's one the films that I would say isn't a horror film but is a lot scarier than most horror films.

23. The Old Dark House (1932; James Whale)

A Universal monster movie that doesn't really have the monsters. Karloff is basically the same as he is in Frankenstein, but he lost the bolts in his neck. Mainly this movie is a comedy that takes place in a creepy setting on a creepy night with a creepy storm with creepy people. It's funnier than it is scary.

24. Who Can Kill a Child? (1976; Narciso Ibáñez Serrador)

All these horror movies trying to scare you with one or two creepy kids, ha. This movie spits in the face of all that noise. What's scarier than a kid trying to kill you? Everything. What's scarier than every kid trying to kill you? Nothing.

25. Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010; Banksy)

I think this movie was mainly meant to poke and prod instead of saying anything super substantial. I think Banksy's brilliance is that he is also a big time troll. He seems to be pointing this film both at people who discuss what is and isn't art and the people who rave about modern art pieces that don't really seem like art.

Liked Caligari, would like to see it again. Exit Through The Gift Shop is great. I've had a youtube of The Old Dark House bookmarked for ages and i had forgotten what it even was, will watch it soon. Not seen the others.

I really like Caligari and Bigger than Life, but only thought Exit to the Gift Shop was decent.

Who Can Kill a Child? looks pretty interesting.

26. Halloween (1978; John Carpenter)

In competition with Suspiria for the best horror score of all-time. In competition with nothing as the best slasher of all-time. In the conversation for most important horror film of all-time.

27. In a Lonely Place (1950; Nicholas Ray)

A very different film noir that doesn't use the femme fatales or gangsters. There is the gorgeous deep-focus shadows of film noir and hardboiled dialogue at times. But the love is passionate in this film, and jumps off the screen at you. That makes some of the scenes of Laurel's doubts and fears even more intense and scenes of Dixon Steele's anger more frightening.

28. Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979; Werner Herzog)

The most beautiful vampire movie ever made.

29. Modern Romance (1981; Albert Brooks)

A very witty comedy that doesn't go over the top for big laughs, but plays it lowkey for those who appreciate a slightly more subtle brand of comedy. It's a smart take on how most men are really terrible at having any understanding of women.

30. Her (2013; Spike Jonze)

It's a great movie, but I guess we just have to accept that mustache.

31. Sansho the Bailiff (1954; Kenji Mizoguchi)

This film definitely brought some tears to my eyes. It's as beautiful as it is sad. As the story moves along, you don't just watch it, you feel everything the characters feel.

32. Psycho (1960; Alfred Hitchcock)

You've already seen this movie, so you already know.

33. Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance (1972; Kenji Misumi)
34. Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx (1972; Kenji Misumi)
35. Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades (1972; Kenji Misumi)
36. Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril (1972; Buichi Saitô)
37. Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons (1973; Kenji Misumi)
38. Lone Wolf and Cub: White Heaven in Hell (1974; Yoshiyuki Kuroda)

How they managed to release four of these in one year is beyond me, but they kept pumping them out. They never really dipped in quality either, and that is the amazing part. This series is the best pure action series of all-time. Sorry Bond, Bourne, Rambo, and whoever else.