Actors you now like, but used to dislike?

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I thought Hoffman was the best thing about Along Came Polly and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.
Hoffman was just amazing. Big fan.

So agree with the posters naming Ben Affleck in The Town. I never understood what people liked about him until that movie. I thought he was really good in The Company Men too, although I didn't like the movie as a whole as much.

Colin Farrell I've always adored, but a lot of people warmed up to him after In Bruges, so I was glad to see CF get some love.

colin firth didn't like him before, but now after watching some of his new movies i kinda like him.
another one i didn't like was cillian murphy.

Do any of you find that once you come around to actors you didn't warm to at all before, you kinda sorta "defend their honour" on the internet?

Andrea Riseborough - really have no idea why I couldn't stand her at first but then saw her in a film called Disconnect and have been interested in watching her in anything since, weirdly one of my favourite actresses now. Was very interested to hear she would be playing the villainess in the new Crow remake but that's no longer happening apparently, only thing that got me interested in the remake.

Do any of you find that once you come around to actors you didn't warm to at all before, you kinda sorta "defend their honour" on the internet?
Hmmm no, unless you mean 'he rubbed me up the wrong way but XYZ movie changed my outlook'. If someone else doesn't like him/her I have no need to defend. I just give my PoV and read theirs.

I remember being on one hostile actor's board a few years ago and there was a thread on which actors were horrible people. A lot of people said Russell Crowe. I wasnt defending him but said my brother is a friend and he said he's a really engaging, very very generous guy, and a bit of a lovable eccentric. Wow. Did I get smashed. WHAT ABOUT THE PHONE THROWING INCIDENT. I said I wasnt referring to that incident. I was quoting someone who is a friend and work colleague of the guy.

Jaysus cheristos. Typical hysterics on imdb.

Lots of people have interestingly already given Colin Farrell a mention, and I'd like to highlight him here as well. Turned me fair-minded with Bruges, made me a fan with The Lobster, and won me completely over with Fantastic Beasts. An absolute favorite at the moment.

I never disliked Farrell but his portrayal in In Bruges was just gorgeous. 'Oh it's a midget'. I thought he was adorable, and I loved that dynamic between the two. Beautiful film.

Oh gd, I have Alexander down in my denial bubble. Terrible. Please dont remind me.

In Bruges, I totally fell in love with the two leads. Like madly in love with those two characters. Such a bitter sweet charming movie.

Oh gd, I have Alexander down in my denial bubble. Terrible. Please dont remind me.

In Bruges, I totally fell in love with the two leads. Like madly in love with those two characters. Such a bitter sweet charming movie.
Frickin Bruges.

I might have to see this again tonight while i hibernate in the aircn. My husband isnt much of a rewatcher, though. I'm chronic about rewatching when I love a movie or show. Might need to steal the remote control so he cant find it.

The scene when he tells the three american tourists it's not a good idea to go up the tower. LOLOLOL

I never disliked Farrell but his portrayal in In Bruges was just gorgeous. 'Oh it's a midget'. I thought he was adorable, and I loved that dynamic between the two. Beautiful film.
Have you seen "Intermission"?

As a kid, I used to be a Keanu Reeves fanboy, mostly because of cool movies like Speed and the first Matrix. But then I was a teen, and Reloaded came, and all I could see was wooden acting and deadpan delivery.

Now, I have come to respect him much more. His work ethic is just incredible, on par with Tom Cruise, and imho he's one of the best action stars. Plus, he's a cool guy that knows his sh*t about movies.

Have you seen "Intermission"?
Rings a bell. Have to duck out but will look it up shrtly.