Actors you now like, but used to dislike?

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Same for me re Tom Cruise and Edge of Tomorrow, Derek Vineyard.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Never cared for DiCaprio nor Richard Gear.

Shutter Island, the Mothman Prophecies and Unfaithful made me re-consider them.

I feel like it's a case of not seeing enough of their films to have a solid opinion of how good they are.
Or they haven't made them yet. I think one film is enough.

In my case John Cusack, who for some reason I didn't respond to at all until I saw Grosse Pointe Blank. Prior to this it had been films such as The Grifters and Con Air.
I don't know if it counts as it's not so much "like" as "I can tolerate him now" But Keaneu Reeves in John Wick finally had more to do that stand around acting clueless muttering "whoa"

For me it's Matt Damon Ben Affleck, Sean Penn, Leonardo DiCaprio, Colin Farrell, Ryan Reynolds, Bradley Cooper, and I had better stop there.

For me it's Matt Damon Ben Affleck, Sean Penn, Leonardo DiCaprio, Colin Farrell, Ryan Reynolds, Bradley Cooper, and I had better stop there.
Oh definitely Leo for me. Refused to see Titanic because there was just something about the pretty boy face, and the squealing from teenage girls really turned me off. Think the first movie of his I saw was The Beach which I wanted to see because I spent some time in Thailand. Have loved him ever since. That guy can act, and he seems to get better with every film. Still havent seen Titanic and dont intend to. I love James Cameron but no...just no.

Oh definitely Leo for me. Refused to see Titanic because there was just something about the pretty boy face, and the squealing from teenage girls really turned me off. Think the first movie of his I saw was The Beach which I wanted to see because I spent some time in Thailand. Have loved him ever since. That guy can act, and he seems to get better with every film. Still havent seen Titanic and dont intend to. I love James Cameron but no...just no.
Oh I hear you! I think my issue with each one of them was their faces. I don't know if I just got used to them while they all got better with age, but either way, I really quite like them all now. And of that particular list, I'm the most surprised by how Ben Affleck won me over.

I never got the squealing about Gosling either. He sort of has the face of a baby bassett hound, and I really love baby bassetts, but I was just like - nope, but I've seen him in a few movies lately and he's really shown range rather than his usual deadpan expression and delivery. L'dMAO in The good guys. His comedic timing was spot on. for the others in your list, Damon I've always liked. Loved himplaying himself as an arrogant tool in Entourage. Affleck annoyed me for a long time but I think it was mostly due to the disingenuous attention whoring thing with Jlo who I just cant tolerate. Penn I've always liked. Same with Reynolds, Farrell (loved him in In Bruges), and Cooper, although I dont get the squeals about him either. Thought he did a brilliant job in Silver Linings Playbook, as did everyone, but that movie really got me on edge. Not the sort of people I'd like to hang out with.

OT Your cat needs a soon meme. Cried laughing when someone sent those to me a few years ago.

I never got the squealing about Gosling either. He sort of has the face of a baby bassett hound, and I really love baby bassetts, but I was just like - nope, but I've seen him in a few movies lately and he's really shown range rather than his usual deadpan expression and delivery. L'dMAO in The good guys. His comedic timing was spot on. for the others in your list, Damon I've always liked. Loved himplaying himself as an arrogant tool in Entourage. Affleck annoyed me for a long time but I think it was mostly due to the disingenuous attention whoring thing with Jlo who I just cant tolerate. Penn I've always liked. Same with Reynolds, Farrell (loved him in In Bruges), and Cooper, although I dont get the squeals about him either. Thought he did a brilliant job in Silver Linings Playbook, as did everyone, but that movie really got me on edge. Not the sort of people I'd like to hang out with.

OT Your cat needs a soon meme. Cried laughing when someone sent those to me a few years ago.
I don't live in the US, so I've never really been exposed to the annoying side of his public exposure. They just all Just have faces I have the deep instinct to slap. Ben kind of grew up "good". I started liking Colin Farrell after watching his work in Irish film. Reynolds got me at Buried. Cooper...hmm..I'm not sure with him. He crept up on me. I also didn't get the Gosling fanscreaming thing at first, but I've never seen The Notebook. I do think he's a good actor, though. Oh my god, bassett hound puppy face? My dad looks like an old bassett hound. He's the Italian version of Peter Sellers (as Clouseau). Damn.

OT: That's my little black shadow. She's tattooed on me now. Her facial expressions are hilarious. She has bona fide rock star fans hahah!!!

I dont live in US either but with each of those actors I DIDNT LIKE INITIALLY (excuse my misbehaving keyboard) the squealing I saw was on the net or in the entertainment section of my main newspaper. I dont subscribe to those guttersnipe celebrity gossip magazines but would have seen more sqealing when flicking through one in a doctor or dentist waiting room back before smart phones. Reynolds in Buried was absolutely brilliant. I was shocked. I also got very bad claustrophobia. Great film.

I want to adopt your dad!

Your cat is adorable. She's freaking me out but in a good way.

Oh big turn around the other way for me is James Franco. Loved him in that survival film, then wantd to stab him in the ear with his oscar presentation, then saw The Interview and wanted to club him over the head.

I agree about Buried. I wasn't expecting that!

My dad is a bit of a handful. Old Italians usually are. He doesn't have much of a filter and doesn't believe in TMI. Still want him? My cat is a talker. And that's the understatement of the decade. Also very funny.

Love/hate viewing relationships with actors is kind of hot. Keeps you interested in what they're doing.

I love old and grumpy European men. Send him down under. He and I can bitch together about the heat and humidity.

I have a pug that's a talker, and a rough coat jack russell that's a warbler. They both drive me insane. The jack is now blind and can't hold her bladder so I have to get up AT 3AM TO TAKE HEROUTSIDE FOR TOILET. Damn keyboard. And the pug turns into cujo any time from 4 onwards for the slave (me) to feed them all breakfast.

We should probably take my highjack to the pet thread down below. Apologies OP.

Thought of another. Philip Seymour Hoffman. Saw him in that chick flic Along Came Polly and thought he was a slob. Started watching him in dramas and was blown away. Fell madly inlove with him in Before the Devil Knows You're Dead and Charlie Wilson's War )another arrogant tool) then Pirate Radio. I was shattered when he died.

Silence has proven to me that Andrew Garfield can deliver truly great performances, especially after his whiny portrayal as Peter Parker.

Thought of another. Philip Seymour Hoffman. Saw him in that chick flic Along Came Polly and thought he was a slob. Started watching him in dramas and was blown away. Fell madly inlove with him in Before the Devil Knows You're Dead and Charlie Wilson's War )another arrogant tool) then Pirate Radio. I was shattered when he died.
I thought Hoffman was the best thing about Along Came Polly and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.