Billy Wilder
The Apartment

Juzo Itami
Tampopo

Quentin Tarantino
Pulp Fiction

Abbas Kiarostami
Taste of Cherry

I had to look up this information. This is my last post of the day. This film talk is time consuming.

David Fincher - Fight Club, Seven

John McTiernan - Die Hard, Predator

John Woo - Face/Off, Broken Arrow

Brian Singer - The Usual Suspects, X-Men, X-2

Rock & Roll.

Focker.

A novel adaptation.
Couldn't possibly be in order of favorite directors, so I listed them alphabetically.
P.T. Anderson
1. Punch Drunk Love 2.Hard Eight 3.Boogie Nights 4.Magnolia

Wes Anderson
1.Rushmore 2.Royal Tannenbaums 3.Bottle Rocket

Joel Coen
1.Raising Arizona 2.Millers' Crossing 3.The Big Lebowski 4.The Man Who Wasn't There 5.O Brother Where Art Thou?

Stanley Kubrick
1.Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb 2.2001: A Space Odyssey 3.A Clockwork Orange 4.The Killing 5.Full Metal Jacket

Martin Scorcese
1.Taxi Driver 2.Goodfella's 3.Raging Bull 4. The King of Comedy 5. Bringing Out the Dead

The problem I encountered when making this list was that some of my favorite films were most certainly not by my favorite directors, and a few of my favorite directors don't have nearly enough movies under their respetive belts to justify putting them on my list -and let's face it, Wes Anderson, with only three, was a bit of a stretch-.

Right now, for me, it is Scorsese [GoodFellas], the two Andersons [Magnolia & Tenenbaums], Aronofsky [Requiem], and Kurosawa [Seven Samurai].

Ok I'm gonna say these fellas here:
Jim Jarmusch- Stranger than Paradise, Dead Man, Ghost Dog

Terry Gilliam- Brazil, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Jabberwocky

Tim Burton- Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, Batman, and an extra addition : Vincent

Coen bros.- Miller's Crossing, Big Lebowski, Hudsucker Proxy

Steve Raimi- Quick and the Dead, Evil Dead trilogy, Darkman

David Cronenberg- Videodrome, Fly, Dead Ringers

David Lynch- Twin Peaks, Lost Highway, Eraserhead

Quentin Tarantino- He's only done three so take a wild guess!!!

Peter Jackson- Meet the Feebles, Dead Alive, Bad Taste

My Penis- The Elongating Life, Rabbi Stay Back, Whale Interference

Originally posted by markybark
My Penis- The Elongating Life, Rabbi Stay Back, Whale Interference
My Penis is a tantalizing erector.

01. AKIRA KUROSAWA
01. The Hidden Fortress | 02. The Seven Samurai | 03. Rashomon | 04. Yojimbo | 05. Throne Of Blood

02. PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON
01. Magnolia | 02. Punch-Drunk Love | 03. Boogie Nights

03. MARTIN SCORSESE
01. Taxi Driver | 02. Raging Bull | 03. GoodFellas | 04. After Hours | 05. The King Of Comedy

04. QUENTIN TARANTINO
01. Pulp Fiction | 02. Reservoir Dogs | 03. Jackie Brown

05. MAX OPHULS
01. La Ronde | 02. La Plaisir | 03. Madame de... | 04. Letter From An Unknown Woman | 05. La Signora Di Tutti

I must become Caligari..!
Quentin Tarantino
Pulp Fiction (1994)

Joel And Ethan Coen
O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)

Guy Ritchie
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)

Robert Rodriguez
From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)

Akira Kurosawa
Yojimbo (1961)
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

I'm an Irish Leprechaun
Stephen Spielberg and James Cameron, 2 of the greatest directors of our time

Originally posted by Kong
Lars von Trier
Breaking the Waves
You cannot be serious.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally posted by Steve

You cannot be serious.
Why's that?

Sorry I cant just name five- I always feel Im leaving out to many great ones.Cant name out right faves, but a few I dig are:

DAVID LYNCH- Blue Velvet/Lost Highway/Mullholland Drive/Eraserhead/Elephant Man/Wild at Heart

COEN BROTHERS- Miller's Crossing/Big Lebowski/Blood Simple/

OLIVER STONE- Natural Born Killers/Platoon/Salvador/Wall Street/JFK

ALFRED HITCHCOCK- Vertigo/Frenzy/Shadow Of A Doubt/Rope/Psycho/North By Northwest

SAM PECKINPAH- The Wild Bunch/The Getaway/Ride The high country/Straw Dogs

DAVID CRONENBURGH- Scanners/Rabid/Shivers/ Existenz/Spider/VideoDrome/Dead Ringers/The Dead Zone

SIDNEY LUMET- 12 Angry Men/Fail-Safe/The Offence/The Hill/The Anderson tapes/Murder On The Orient Express/ThePawnBroker/Serpico/Dog Day Afternoon

DON SIEGEL- Dirty Harry/Madigan/Charley Varrick/The Beguiled/Invasion of The Body Snatchers/Hell Is For Heroes/The Killers/escape From Alcatraz

JOHN FRANKENHEIMER- Seconds/Manchurian Candidate/All Fall Down/Birdman Of Alcatraz/7 Days In May/the train/The Iceman Cometh/The french Connection II/The holecroft Covenant/the Challenge

JOHN STURGES- The Great Escape/ The Magnificent 7/Bad Day At Black Rock/The Eagle Has Landed/Ice Station Zebra/Gunfight At The Ok Corral

(Alternate 10)

STANLEY KUBRICK- The Killing/Clockwork Orange/2001/Sparticus/Lolita/Full Metal Jacket/The Shining

GEORGE ROY HILL- Slaughterhouse 5/The Sting/Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid/The Little Drummer Girl/Slap Shot/The World According to Garp

BILLY WILDER- The Apartment/The Odd Couple/Double Indemnity/The fortune Cokkie/The front page/Stalag 17/Irma La Douce/ The Lost Weekend/One, Two, Three, The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes/Some like It hot/Witness To The Prosecution

TERRY GILLIAM-12 Monkeys/Brazil/Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas/ The Fisher King/ Monty python and The Holy Grail.

WALTER HILL- The Driver/The Warriors/ Crossroads/Johnny handsome/The Long Riders/Southern Comfort/Extreme Predjudice

TERENCE YOUNG- Wait Until Dark/From Russia With Love/dr No/Thunderball/Corridor Of Mirrors/Moll Flanders/Cold Sweat/Red Sun

RICHARD FLEISCHER- Boston Strangler/10 Rillington Place/Amin:The Rise and Fall/Compulsion/Fantastic Voyage/Mr majestyk/The Narow Margin/Soylent Green/20,000 Leagues Under The Sea/Soylent Green/Tora,Tora,Tora/

RICHARD BROOKES- In Cold Blood/ Cat On a Hot Tin Roof/Bite The Bullet/The Sweet Bird Of Youth/The Professionals/Looking for Mr Goodbar.

AKIRA KUROSAWA- Ran/Kagemusha/Seven samurai/Yojimbo/Throne of Blood/Rashamon

JOHN HUSTON- Tresure Of Sierra Madre/ The Man Who Would Be King/Big Sleep/The kremlin Letters/Asphalt Jungle/Beat The Devil/The Maltese Falcon/the list Of Adrian messenger/The Dead/Night Of The Iguana/Fat CityPrizzis Honour/Under the Vocano

Even then Im sad to say I left out so many greats, but I love em all with equal passion, depending on the mood.......

James Cameron
Aliens, True Lies, Terminator, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Abyss

Steven Spielberg
Jurrasic Park, Indian Jones (All 3), Hook, Schindler's List, Jaws

Robert Zemeckis
Death Decomes Her, Contact, Forrest Gump, Romancing the Stone, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Ridely Scott
Alien, Gladiator, G.I. Jane, Blade-Runner, Black Hawk Down

Mike Nichols
Postcards From the Edge, Silkwood, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Wolf,Catch-22

Honourable Mentions
Alan J. Pakula - Sophie's Choice
Spike Jonze - Adaptation
Sydney Pollack - Out of Africa, Tootsie

hey "Streepster" (Alan J. Pakula - Sophie's Choice)- Im a huge fan of Pakula too, although I dont rank Sophie's Choice I adore THE PARRALAX VIEW, ALL THE PRESIDENTS MEN & KLUTE

Do you know my poetry?
Robert Zemeckis - Back to the Future Trilogy, Forrest Gump.
Steven Spielberg - Saving Private Ryan, Minority Report, E.T, Jaws, The Indiana Jones Trilogy.
George Lucas - Star Wars, American Graffiti, also wrote all the Star Wars
The Wachowski Brothers - The Matrix Trilogy
Quentin Tarantino - Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Jackie Brown
Kevin Smith - Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, and Jersey Girl {comes out next year}
P.T.Anderson - Punch-Drunk Love, Boogie Nights, Magnolia
Wes Anderson - The Royal Tenenbaums
Chris Columbus - Harry Potter 1 and 2
Cameron Crowe - Vinalla Sky, Jerry Mcguire
James Cameron - Terminator 1 and 2, Titanic, True Lies
Mel Brooks - Blazing Saddles, The Producers, Young Frankenstein, Spaceballs.
Zucker Brothers - Naked Gun Trilogy, and Airplane.

I must become Caligari..!
Quentin Tarantino
Pulp Fiction (1994) | Jackie Brown (1997)

Joel And Ethan Coen
O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000) | The Big Lebowski (1998)

Guy Ritchie
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) | Snatch. (2000)

Robert Rodriguez
From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) | El Mariachi (1992)

Akira Kurosawa
Yojimbo (1961) | Throne of Blood (1957)

Spke Lee
Do the Right Thing (1989) | 25th Hour (2002)

Originally Posted by Kong
Why's that?
Sorry I missed this -

Because it's Lars von Trier, and he punishes Emily Watson for no reason other than audience reaction. Ouch.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally Posted by Steve
Sorry I missed this -

Because it's Lars von Trier, and he punishes Emily Watson for no reason other than audience reaction. Ouch.
Kong has heard the arguments that Trier's films are misogynous but Kong has never interpreted Breaking the Waves to be that way. It's not really fair to say that Trier punishes Watson for no reason; if were going to talk about an aspect of the story like that we should look at it from within the story itself otherwise we could say that about practically anything in any story. Kong has read where people thought the message was how a woman should submit herself to the will of a man, but Kong has always seen it as a movie about love. Kong can see how one would arrive at the former interpretation, but Kong doesn't see it that way and really doubts it was intended that way.

A novel adaptation.
New list, cut things down to 3:
Terry Gilliam
1. Brazil 2.Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 3.Twelve Monkeys

Wes Anderson
1.Rushmore 2.Royal Tannenbaums 3.Bottle Rocket

Akira Kurosawa
1. Yojimbo 2.Seven Samurai 3.Rashomon

Stanley Kubrick
1.Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb 2.A Clockwork Orange 3. The Killing

Martin Scorcese
1.Taxi Driver 2.Goodfella's 3.The King of Comedy

Sam Peckinpah and Sidney Lumet were two fairly new contenders for the top five placing, but I think it'll take a good deal to shake up this list.

I love doing this list over and over and over. Cutting things down to three, eh? I can do that.

Akira Kurosawa
1. The Hidden Fortress 2. The Seven Samurai 3. Rashomon

Paul Thomas Anderson
1. Punch-Drunk Love 2. Magnolia 3. Boogie Nights

Martin Scorsese
1. Taxi Driver 2. GoodFellas 3. Raging Bull