favorite directors/favorite films

Tools    

Steven Speilberg
Saving Private Ryan, Schindlers List, Empire of the Sun, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Raiders of the Lost Arc

Martin Scorsese
Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, The Last Temptation of Christ, Bringing Out the Dead

Oliver Stone
Wall Street, Platoon, Natural Born Killers, JFK, The Doors

David Lynch
Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, Lost Highway

Francis Ford Coppola
Godfather I, Godfather II, Apocolypse Now, The Outsiders, Bram Stoker's Dracula
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

21st century digital boy
This is my list:

1. Steven Spielberg:
Saving Private Ryan, Minority Report, A.I., CE3K, Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom

2. Tim Burton:
Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow, Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare before Christmas, Batman Returns

3. Wes Anderson:
Rushmore, Royal Tennenbaums, Bottle Rocket, (He doesn't have 5 movies....sorry)

4. Oliver Stone:
Platoon, Born On The Fourth Of July, Natural Born Killers, JFK, The Doors, U-Turn

5. Sam Raimi:
Evil Dead 2, Spider-Man, The Gift, Army of Darkness, The Evil Dead

Slayton - Marty Scorsese did most certainly NOT direct Quiz Show. He simply appeared in it as an actor, as a favor to Robert Redford - the director of the movie.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Damn, I knew that too! I don't know why I put that in there. My bad.

I'm soo sorry Holden, please don't hate me!

Steven Speilberg
Jurassic Park, Hook, Schindler's list, Monority Report, Saving Private Ryan

Quentin Tarantino
Pulp Fiction, Resivior Dogs, Jackie Brown (i know he didnt direct it)- From Dusk til Dawn

Kevin Smith
(in order) Dogma, Chasing Amy, Clerks, Jay and Silent Bob SB, Mallrats

M. Night Shalyamhan
The Sixth Sense, Signs, Unbreakable, Stuart Little

David Fincher
Fight Club, Seven, The Game, Alien³, Panic Room
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

The Fat of the Mailbox
I can only think of three, so I will do 3/3/ too.
Sorry about my spelling

Stanley Kubrick
Full Metal Jacket, Clockwork Orange, Space Oddesy 2001

David Lynch
Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks: Fire walk with Me, Eraserhead

Tim Burton
Sleepy Hollow, Ed Wood, Edward Siccor Hands

I like these directors becuase they moke films for the art, not the money.

okay, i havent seen anywhere what this site's policy is on bringing up old topics, so if this isnt cool, just let me know. anyway, since i've got a pre-existing best directors list along the same lines (have to have seen at least 5 movies, and he/she has to have at least five movies that made my top five for the year of their release), i just couldnt resist the urge to post my list. i'll even give each of these guys a specific category of film:

1) best director over all: ingmar bergman: wild strawberries, the seventh seal, the magician, the magic flute, cries and whispers.
runners up: ozu yasujiro; werner herzog; buster keaton.
2) best animator: miyazaki hayao: the whale hunt, sen to chihiro, laputa, my neigbor totoro, kiki's delivery service, princess mononoke.
runners up: isao takahata; jan svankmajer; dave fleischer.
3) best surrealist director: jan svankmajer: faust, male games, darkness/light/darkness, death of stalinism in bohemia.
runner up: luis bunuel.
4)best writer/director: john sayles: matewan, men with guns, sunshine state, city of hope, lonestar.
5)best b-movie/cult director: suzuki seijun: tokyo drifer, branded to kill, gate of flesh, fighting elegy, youth of the beast.
runner up: david cronenberg.

I'm rehashing everything as of late. In no particular order:

Quentin Tarantino
Pulp Fiction / Reservoir Dogs / Jackie Brown

Francis Ford Coppola
Apocalypse Now / The Godfather Part II / The Godfather

Martin Scorsese
GoodFellas / Raging Bull / Taxi Driver

Stanley Kubrick
Dr. Strangelove / A Clockwork Orange / Eyes Wide Shut

Steven Sodebergh
Traffic / The Limey / Out Of Sight

I can't very well do more than three for Tarantino, can I?
So I may as well limit the entire lot to three films to save myself the trouble.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Larry Clark
Kids, Another Day In Paradise, Bully

Francis Ford Coppola
The Godfather, Apocalypse Now!, Dracula

Terrence Malick
Badlands, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line

Lukas Moodysson
Show Me Love, Together, Lilja 4-Ever

Robert Altman
M*A*S*H, The Player, Short Cuts

Jim Jarmusch
Night On Earth, Dead Man, Ghost Dog

Andrej Tarkovsky
Solaris, The Mirror, Stalker

Ingmar Bergman
The Seventh Seal, Scenes From a Marriage, Fanny & Alexander

Akira Kurosawa
The Magnificent Seven, Ran, Dreams

Steven Soderbergh
The Limey, Erin Brockovich, Traffic

Paul Thomas Andersson
Hard Eight, Boogie Nights, Magnolia

Jan Troell
Här har du ditt liv, Utvandrarna, Nybyggarna

I could go on and on....

A novel adaptation.
What are you talking about? I always thought that Mr. Copolla was just really excited about the Apocalypse! being Now!
How about "Godfather!!!"?

Ahem*
You thought "Ghost Dog" was good !?

I, for one, think Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai is excellent. Jarmusch's films are some of my very favorites, and Ghost Dog is right up there with his best.

Wait a second, Herod...
You didn't think"Ghost Dog" was good?!?

Ghost Dog rocks ladies and gentlemen and since you dig it so Holden check out Branned to Kill if you haven't already kid.

ah, yes indeed, check out branded especially if you want to see where 'ghost dog' ripped off one of it's reduculous hits from.
i was pleasantly surprised by 'ghost dog', it's one of those movies that didnt look that spectacular, but turned out pretty neat.
what did you think of 'tokyo drifter', jeffries?

A new entry here for me; I can't believe I've forgotten to add it previously. Not all of you would know him [hey, maybe none of you, not even Pikey], but his name is [wow, I just got a blind spot flashing in the side of my eye; hence I need sleep] Evan Mather and as far as I am concerned, his filmmaking has inspired me more than any other director. He is touching, funny, innovative and has a distinct visual style that I really, really love. Without any further ado, my five favorite Mather films:

1. Airplane Glue
2. Vert
3. Fansom the Lizard
4. Icarus of Pittsburgh
5. The Agave Project

The whole Agave/Dogme 2.0 thing is really interesting; same footage, different editors. I've just contacted him about doing my own cut of it. We shall see...

Originally posted by linespalsy
what did you think of 'tokyo drifter', jeffries?
Tokyo is kick-@ss his use of color sets and photography are amazingly electrifing. A main character that sings his own theeme song within the film and a super hitman awww I love it. What do you think of Youth of the Beast ?

yeah, tokyo drifter makes me wish I had a theme song...
actually, i didnt think much of 'youth of the beast' at the time i saw it, but i really want to give it a second chance. it was the first suzuki film i saw, and it took me till i saw 'branded to kill' to fully get into his stuff.
my favorites, in order are: tokyo drifter, branded to kill, gate of flesh, fighting elegy, and youth of the beast.