Swan's 2017 Movie Adventures

→ in
Tools    

Dang, I was actually looking forward to that one.
Same, I think it's neat that it's all female-directed, so it's a shame I didn't love it. I know some people have really liked it though, maybe you will too.

Films with more than one director? It so rarely works, IMO. I know people will put the Coen's up as an example, but I've no real desire to watch any of the films they've directed together.

Let the night air cool you off
Same, I think it's neat that it's all female-directed, so it's a shame I didn't love it. I know some people have really liked it though, maybe you will too.
Doesn't it prove that women aren't good directors?

Three of my favourite working directors are women; Lynne Ramsay, Andrea Arnold and Kelly Reichardt. Don't even think i could have named a female director other than Katheryn Bigelow about 4 years ago.

I think you'd like Morvern Callar from Ramsay, Swan. I watched it the other day.

I need to see more Ramsay. I loved We Need to Talk About Kevin, and Every Frame a Paint did a video about her that made me think I'd like her.

I need to see more Ramsay. I loved We Need to Talk About Kevin, and Every Frame a Paint did a video about her that made me think I'd like her.
We Need To Talk About Kevin is my least favorite but i still really like it. Ratcatcher is my favourite but if i was to guess i'd say you would prefer Morvern Callar. She is bringing out a new film this year

I'm going to stop rating movies for a while...

Starry Eyes
(Kevin Kolsch & Dennis Widmyer, 2014)

[NEW WATCH]

Kind of like what you would get if John Carpenter directed The Neon Demon after he saw Rosemary's Baby for the first time. If you know me, you know I'm going to like that kind of movie, and thankfully I really did. I was into it the whole way, and by the last twenty minutes - the brutal, visceral, surreal final twenty minutes - I was in love.

I think I may like it more if I watched it again, now that I know it has the big finish. It lulled me into a bit of indifference when I saw it.

movies can be okay...
I didn't like it as much as I wanted to either, it was actually close to being a bad movie for me.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Mainly because I find I'll rate a movie and then my thoughts and feelings about it will keep developing over time, and my rating might change. Overall I just think ratings give the wrong impression.

I share your feeling about ratings. I stick to it because I forget a lot of movies and they come in handy for my records. That being said, I don't always prefer the movies I rate highest.

Unregistered User
Agree with Cricket and MM. Sure, how you rate a film will more than likely change but it's still a fun thing for us to see viewing a thread. Take Starry Eyes for example. You obviously enjoyed it and its certainly 'a Swan movie' but I dunno how much you liked it.

I'd say from his words he liked it at least
. I only think ratings are necessary if the person using them isn't going to say anything about his thoughts, I use them in RTLMYS but i don't stick by any of my ratings, i know i rate films higher than films i like more all the time.

Just for a slightly different perspective ..... I don't read reviews of fillums that I've not yet seen BUT I do look at the rating and depending on who it is that has given the rating that may either pique my interest in or perhaps give cause for second thoughts about a movie.

Gotta do what feels best to you though Swanny and if that means one less person to help influence whether or not a film makes it onto my watchlist then so be it .... I will adapt and survive

Just for a slightly different perspective ..... I don't read reviews of fillums that I've not yet seen BUT I do look at the rating and depending on who it is that has given the rating that may either pique my interest in or perhaps give cause for second thoughts about a movie.
That's a good point actually never considered that.

Mainly because I find I'll rate a movie and then my thoughts and feelings about it will keep developing over time, and my rating might change. Overall I just think ratings give the wrong impression.
I can't help but think you are wrong here, at least the way you describe it, though you may of course choose not to rate a film anyways.

Because that's exactly the thing... you rate a movie and that rating tells you something about how you felt about it at the time. That it changes over time is only a great thing, because you can always change your rating, but it's fun to see what your impression of it was at first and though a rating is very slim in information, at least it's more direct than just a review. It's pretty hard to make up what a person thinks by just reading a review - the rating cements the review - that goes for the reader but also yourself when you get back to it and then you have nothing solid to compare your thoughts with. Only a thin review and that won't help much.

Ratings are fun and it's an easy way to get an "overview" of what you thought about the film. If you think your rating might give a "wrong impression", well that's why you can accompany it with a review - to further your intentions and help people understand the ultimate rating... ratings are maybe not amazing on their own; but it's a fine guidance, foodnote, present feeling or just a clarification or statement. That's just my opinion anyways.