My top 100 favorite films of all time.

→ in
Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."

Yeah, I agree with the second part too.

Please hold your applause till after the me.

The Elephant Man

I love this film for one thing, John Hurt's performance. While everything else in the film is just kind of fine, his performance is one of the finest I've ever seen. Hurt's mannerisms and voice feel natural and unforced, and he brings a layer of complexity that I don't think anyone else could have brought to the role, and that's when he covered in makeup and you can't even tell that it's him, that's how strong a performance he gives. It's one of the top 5 acting performances of all time in my opinion, and it holds up this film like no other.

Saving Private Ryan

Again, not a lot I can say about this film that everyone else hasn't said. A war film that truly manages to horrify with some of the most intense and gritty battle sequences in cinema history. Spielberg shows his talent yet again in probably his most detailed direction to date. So many small things happen throughout the entire film that adds to the realism and intensity and it never ceases to seem one hundred percent real.

I love Se7en and I like The Elephant Man, but I wasn't crazy about Saving Private Ryan. The opening is so intense that I think the rest had a hard time matching it.

True Grit (2010)

One of the finest remakes of all time, this Coen Bros. retelling of True Grit add a whole new level of depth, complexity, and grit to an already great story. I love the fact that they actually improve on an already great film while still being respectful of it. One of my favorite Westerns and remakes ever, it's of of the Coen's best.

Toy Story 2

Everyone has a Toy Story film on a favorites list, and I'm no exception. This is a well told story about growing up and moving on and as well as just an entertaining family film. I absolutely love all the creativity with the setups and what they do with the larger surroundings, they tell bigger and better jokes and have great attention to detail, truly and animated classic.

LOVE The Cornetto trilogy! One of the best trilogies of all time and they are just comedy gold. That fast paced, well written, detailed and well timed British comedy is a joy to watch and it stimulates both heart, mind, soul and your abs for laughing that much.

Se7en is great. Some of the best technical work in film, with both the production design, cinematography and sound design making the atmosphere creep all the way out of the screen.

The Elephant man hit me like no other. Such a masterful film and John Hurt indeed has a lot to do with that. Saving Private Ryan is technically really well done, but with each viewing I seem to dislike the way Spielberg handles his theme(s) more and more. I gotta watch it with a proper viewing at least one more time to be certain though.

True Grit doesn't talk much to me on a personal level, but it's great filmmaking for sure and brilliant acting too.

Toy Story 2 is probably my favorite in the trilogy (close with the first) and it's such a perfect sequel. Love it.

So...

What's Next, Scorsese?

This might just do nobody any good.
True Grit is fantastic and I'm always surprised when people describe it as low tier Coen Bros.

It's a beautiful rumination on the end childhood and a great subversion of western hero stereotypes. It's also a grim movie when you think about it, yet, it never lets that weigh it down. It's might be too deceptively complex.

Elephant Man is my second favourite Lynch and one of my favourite films. Disagree with Hurts performance being the only great thing but i do agree it's one of the greatest performances. Don't like Saving Private Ryan. True Grit is good but not one of my favourite Coens. Toy Story 2 is the best of the trilogy in my opinion and a top five Pixar.

I didn't really like Casablanca.
Jaws, the Pianist, the sixth sense and Saving Private Ryan were fine.
Wizard of Oz, Birdman, The Birds and Sean of the Dead are good.
The Incredible's and Full Metal Jacket are great.
Seven was amazing.
Toy Story 2 was better than oxygen.

Elephant Man is my second favourite Lynch and one of my favourite films. Disagree with Hurts performance being the only great thing but i do agree it's one of the greatest performances.
I'm not saying that Hurts performance was the only good thing in the film, I'm saying that his performance is what got the film in my favorites list.

Gravity

This entire film can be summed up in the fantastic opening one shot scene. Alfonso Cuarons attention to every little detail, Lubezki's stunning cinematography, Prices intense musical score all merge, and Bullocks fearful performance all come together seamlessly to create one of the scariest films that isn't technically a horror film. There is never a moment when I'm not biting my nails while watching the absolutely gorgeous film.

Evil Dead 2

Easily my favorite Sam Raimi film, Evil Dead 2 is without a doubt the greatest B movie ever created. This movie does not take itself seriously in the slightest but it is still able to be both funny and disturbingly scary all at once. There has only been one movie outside of these films that have pulled of the merging of the two genres, and that was 2013's Cabin in the Woods, which was dragged down by boring performances from the leads. This film has Bruce Campbell, and that solves that problem. It's over the top funny and over the top scary, and is also over the top awesome.

Gravity is a technical wonder and one hell of an "experience film". Visuals, score, sound mixing/editing all come together really well. What drags it down a bit for me though, is the dialog and overall story. It's not written that well, but the metaphoric underlayer of rebirth is great, I love it that and it lifts the story a good bit. And it's intense and not too long.

Overall, I really like it. Great film.

Evil Dead 2 is f*cking awesome and my fav in the series. And for pretty much the reasons you gave.

How to Train Your Dragon

I love the world of this film. I love how creative the dragons are, each one is unique in every sense of the term and I loved learning all about them. I also like how the characters, while cliched, are actual characters that learn and adapt. I think that John Powell's score is on the most underrated of all time, it's simply majestic. And the animation is some of Dreamwork's best, the flying sequences are some of the most beautiful looking in cinema, even on par with Avatar and Gravity.

12 Angry Men

When it comes to writing and direction, this film has the most air tight of any film I've ever seen. The film never manages to lose my interest even when it's restrained to just one room and twelve people. The don't waste anytime but still take there time when telling the story. And at the same time, I never feel the same way after re watching the film, all the characters are open ended and obviously with depth and I love it all.

Care for some gopher?
This movie is just brilliant. Top 5 for me.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

This film is just a joyful burst of energy that always knows how to be obnoxious and loud without being annoying and is always funny. The surrealism of seeing all the cartoon characters the millions of people, including myself, grew up with all interacting on the big screen. I love the effect that you really feel like real people and cartoons are interacting with each other, it never feels like the actors aren't looking at anything. This is one of the prime films I like to think of when I think of good family entertainment, and it shows in every frame of the film.