MovieMeditation’s Diary Reviews // “Come and meditate with me!”

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I just watched Knock, Knock last week actually after seeing quite a bit of chatter about it. Was not a fan. For me the film was just a long wait until you got to the good stuff. I found that the wait was fairly dull and that it then really didn't prove worth it. As far as Keanu goes? Well I really like Reeves, he's starred in a lot of films I've really liked and loved over the years (Matrix, Speed, Point Break, Bill and Ted, John Wick). However I wouldn't say he's got great range as an actor and sometimes you come across a performance that's a bit rough. And that's how I felt about his turn in Knock, Knock. I found it pretty cringeworthy at points.

I just watched Knock, Knock last week actually after seeing quite a bit of chatter about it. Was not a fan. For me the film was just a long wait until you got to the good stuff. I found that the wait was fairly dull and that it then really didn't prove worth it. As far as Keanu goes? Well I really like Reeves, he's starred in a lot of films I've really liked and loved over the years (Matrix, Speed, Point Break, Bill and Ted, John Wick). However I wouldn't say he's got great range as an actor and sometimes you come across a performance that's a bit rough. And that's how I felt about his turn in Knock, Knock. I found it pretty cringeworthy at points.
Well, as far as I see it, Keanu can't act for sh*t. Exactly for that reason I found his performance in Knock Knock to be awesome. the whole movie is a joke, that's what I like about it

MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
total movie count ........... viewing day count
278 .......................... 332

November 29th

—— 2001 ——
A T L A N T I S
T H E___L O S T___E M P I R E

—— animation ——
DISNEY CLASSIC no.41

At the same time, Disney's greatest
and weakest achievement yet…

Okay, Disney dived all the way in with this one; both in terms of creating a singular, visual expression and crafting some beautiful, creative backdrops to go with it – all seamlessly stitched together with interesting edits, delightful directing and combined with characteristic characters, who this time around, was based on “edgy” lines and rough shapes. The wonderful and weird world-building is generally pretty solid and the character development is surprisingly sophisticated – even the script might be Disney's most daring yet in terms of grown-up humor and general writing, with added ambition that will surpass children's capabilities...

The above paragraph kind of presents the film like Disney's greatest treasure since forever, yet it failed anyways… what went wrong, exactly? Well, there are several reasons why this movie missed its mark – one of them is that they never fully trusted their own set-up or went that extra mile –probably because of studio interference. Another one is the fact that it actually changed its focus too many times during production, making the audience confused and the story messy, trying to fit a huge story down a tiny mole hole. Before the first line was drawn, the movie was actually designed to be an action-adventure, though that aspect was mixed up a bit – and it shows – because the beginning and end is extremely bloated and all over the place, while the middle piece is actually the part where the film is fascinating to follow.

It seems to suffer from a shortened length as well, since you can clearly feel a much greater universe and story hidden inside the mere 95 minutes of film… once again, it sort of seems as if Disney was the wrong place to design this movie. The overall feel of the film came off as some kind of adult anime to me, which I found out afterwards made a lot of sense, since it was largely inspired by an anime I can't remember the name of right now. Anyways, there are flashes of what could have been, but because the movie has been torn apart, edited down and held back, it ends up sinking as a serious piece of good entertainment. My final impression is inevitable: I was let down, disappointed and downright annoyed by what I didn't like. But props to Disney for changing up their game for the third or fourth time in a row, though.

+

HIS FILM DIARY 2015
total movie count ........... viewing day count
279 .......................... 334

December 1st

—— 2002 ——
Lilo & Stitch
—— animation ——
DISNEY CLASSIC no.42

REWATCH
"Ohana"
means family...

To be honest, I wasn’t a huge fan of this frantic kiddy-friendly creature feature the first time I saw it, though strangely enough, I remember quite liking the long-running tv-show. I was more involved this time around, but still not completely invested in what is going on, and I still have a feeling that something isn’t quite right. There are times when I feel rather alienated from the film, ironically, and the emotion that it wants to put forward as well. It reminds me of ‘The Emperor's New Groove’ with its hectic, foolish and fragmented attitude. But admittedly, this film does indeed deliver the emotional punch a bit better, which is something that has been mostly absent from the last few Disney films...

What ‘Lilo & Stitch’ does really well is the fundamental layer of emotion combined with evolved character arcs. Even though the film is very surfaced and energetic overall, everything underneath is what really impacts you. There is the sister, who struggles to raise her smaller sister on her own; balancing a job and her private life on a very thin and uneven basis. You truly feel for her and how frustrated she becomes, how broken she is inside and so on. Lilo is also a character easily paralleled to the real world, with her different personality and clear signs of loneliness, search for comfort and a calmer, easier and more ordinary life.

But unfortunately, all this is taking place under the surface and occasionally comes across as very subtle, while the superficial science-fiction spectacle is both action-packed, odd, overwhelming, wicked and just downright mad. The story is shattered all over the grounded themes of the film and when you pick the pieces up throughout, it’s like a cracked kaleidoscope of chaos; different impressions, styles and ideas, but somehow still fitting together in the end. I agree with one critic, who said the movie felt “like a television show or shorter ideas developed into a full-length feature.” The humor is a hit or miss for me too, but thankfully the movie looks great – once again a different new style, utilizing wonderful water-colored backgrounds... I totally get if you love this, but somehow, I can’t completely connect with it… something is just off… but that might as well be the point of it I guess.

+

Going on LAST MONTH of my film diary
and the LAST 25 FILMS of that year!

I really liked Lilo and Stitch. So much that it even surprised myself.
Yeah, it wouldn't be a film I would have recommended to you or anything, thinking you'd like it.

But that's cool. You ever reviewed it? If not, what did you rate it anyways?

I always have Atlantis towards the bottom of Disney but to be fair to it i haven't seen it in a long time. I also like Lilo & Stitch quite a bit, don't think it is a masterpiece or anything but i find it adorable and pretty funny. I know what you mean by you are disconnected from it, i've felt that with alot of films. Always really liked Lilo's big sister as she reminds me of my oldest sister.

I always have Atlantis towards the bottom of Disney but to be fair to it i haven't seen it in a long time. I also like Lilo & Stitch quite a bit, don't think it is a masterpiece or anything but i find it adorable and pretty funny. I know what you mean by you are disconnected from it, i've felt that with alot of films. Always really liked Lilo's big sister as she reminds me of my oldest sister.
The bigger sister doesn't remind me of anyone, but she is a very good character I think.

Also, as I said, I might like the movie less, but the tv show I loved. So, therefore that must mean I love the characters and universe - and I do, I love Stitch, I like Lilo (and more in the tv show) and of couse the one-eye/three eye duo. but yeah, the movie was just a little messy and weird to me.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I love Lilo & Stitch, both the movie and the TV show. I think Stitch is such a fun character, and Lilo is one of the few children that doesn't annoy me most of the time. I love the way she fights with her sister, and the way they brought Jumba and Pleakley into their family.

I love Lilo & Stitch, both the movie and the TV show. I think Stitch is such a fun character, and Lilo is one of the few children that doesn't annoy me most of the time. I love the way she fights with her sister, and the way they brought Jumba and Pleakley into their family.
I knew you were one to love Lilo & Stitch!

What is your favorite - or maybe top 3 - Disney movie(s)?

I knew you were one to love Lilo & Stitch!

What is your favorite - or maybe top 3 - Disney movie(s)?

It's hard to narrow it down to only my top three favorite Disney movies because there are so many great movies, and my favorites can change based on my mood, but this is the best I can narrow it down right now:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
Lilo & Stitch (2002)
Bambi (1942)
Beauty and the Beast (1991)

If we include Pixar movies, then it might include these movies:

WALL-E (2008)
Monsters, Inc. (2001)
Inside Out (2015)
Finding Nemo (2003)

If we include live action and/or hybrid movies, then it might include these movies:

Mary Poppins (1964)
Tex (1982) - I didn't know this was a Disney movie until I looked up the list on Wikipedia.
The Rookie (2002) - Another movie I didn't know was a Disney movie.

That's a great list there, @gbgoodies, especially your classics! (Though Lilo and Stitch kind of sticks out to me ) Pixar is real solid t solid too!

Not seen any of the live action ones, unfortunately...

That's a great list there, @gbgoodies, especially your classics! (Though Lilo and Stitch kind of sticks out to me ) Pixar is real solid t solid too!

Not seen any of the live action ones, unfortunately...

Lilo and Stitch is one of my favorite movies. (It might even have made my Sci-Fi list. )

I can understand having not seen Tex or The Rookie, but I'm surprised you haven't seen Mary Poppins.

Lilo and Stitch is one of my favorite movies. (It might even have made my Sci-Fi list. )

I can understand having not seen Tex or The Rookie, but I'm surprised you haven't seen Mary Poppins.
Yeah, I know of its status and all, but it never really appealed to me... obviously I'm gonna see it some day.

HIS FILM DIARY 2015
total movie count ........... current day count
77 .......................... 70

March 2nd

The Apartment (1960)

Once again, I admittedly waited a little too long before I finally sat down to write up this review. But given that I’m quite busy at the moment there really isn’t another way to do it, and I simply won’t let my thread die because of it! Anyways, this is obviously a movie I have been wanting to watch for a long time, especially ever since I saw ‘Sunset Blvd’, and it has been on my watchlist for forever.

First off, this does feel like your typical Billy Wilder film on many aspects. It has a great and original script with well-written dialogue, and a decent and thoughtful structure to it. Unfortunately for me, I just wasn’t really that captured by what was going on most of the time. I didn’t really care for any of the characters nor did I care for the actual story much. I mean I kind of liked the idea of it, I sort of liked the execution and it is quite clear to see all the professionalism behind the film, but still; I just wasn’t into it much. Basically it was one of those experiences where I kind of enjoyed the film, but there wasn’t much that stood out to me, other than it was a good film overall and that it was well made. Definitely a solid piece of filmmaking I just wished I liked it more. Maybe a rewatch will do wonders, some day...

Guess what, MM? You're back from the dead. I'm resurrecting you.

Anyway, it's unbelievable once again. I agree 100% with everything you said. I'd like to add that the Shirley - Jack chemistry is off. I mean, this is supposed to be a romance movie. I didn't notice much romance. And the ending...He just says to her "OH, I really love you!" Bligh me! And that when they were sitting on a sofa looking her sideways! If that was supposed to be funny, it worked. But romance? Where's the kiss?

One line that stood out for me:

I said I had no family. I didn't say my appartment was empty.

Guess what, MM? You're back from the dead. I'm resurrecting you.

Anyway, it's unbelievable once again. I agree 100% with everything you said. I'd like to add that the Shirley - Jack chemistry is off. I mean, this is supposed to be a romance movie. I didn't notice much romance. And the ending...He just says to her "OH, I really love you!" Bligh me! And that when they were sitting on a sofa looking her sideways! If that was supposed to be funny, it worked. But romance? Where's the kiss?

One line that stood out for me:

I said I had no family. I didn't say my appartment was empty.
Haha, damn now I feel obligated to get this up and running again.

But in all seriousness, I'm working on the last reviews for that year, but I don't want to start posting until they are all ready. That's because I really want to finish it this time. I mean, it's been two years.

But I don't care. I'm committed, and also, it's the reviews and the discussions that counts, not when they were watched anyways... But this won't happen until probably 2 months or something.

But thanks for checking in, Beatle! Glad to see you back around here!