Lucas Hedges, MANCHESTER BY THE SEA
0%
0 votes
Dev Patel, LION
11.11%
2 votes
Michael Shannon, NOCTURNAL ANIMALS
18 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The five performances singled out for Best Supporting Actor.

Mahershala Ali, Moonlight
Jeff Bridges, Hell or High Water
Lucas Hedges, Manchester by the Sea
Dev Patel, Lion
Michael Shannon, Nocturnal Animals
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I will take Bridges over Hedges. Like that performance and movie just a bit more.

What movie are you guys talking about with Johnson?

I just know it will dawn on me as soon as I hit post.

Shannon was better than Johnson to me.
For me, too. Though I am a slobbering, unabashed super fan of Michael Shannon's, so I may be biased. With not only Nocturnal Animals in 2016 but also Midnight Special, Loving, Frank & Lola, and Elvis & Nixon, I am very happy to see Michael Shannon make the Oscar rolls for the second time (previously nominated for Revolutionary Road).

What movie are you guys talking about with Johnson?
Aaron Johnson, who was also in Nocturnal Animals and got a bit of a surprise Best Supporting Actor nomination at the Golden Globes. But he did not follow that up here at the Oscars.

Aaron Johnson, who was also in Nocturnal Animals and got a bit of a surprise Best Supporting Actor nomination at the Golden Globes. But he did not follow that up here at the Oscars.

Thanks, haven't got to see Nocturnal Animals yet.

Surprised, in a bad way, to see they snubbed Hugh Grant for Jenkins and Aaron Taylor-Johnson for Nocturnal Animals, both very worthy nominees.

Also surprised, in a good way, to see Shannon getting a nod, as I thought his performance in Nocturnal Animals was great. He gets my vote.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Traditionally, this award has gone to a veteran with previous nominations and no wins under his belt and since there is no such nominee, I'm thinking Ali for Moonlight to make up for the movie being overlooked for other categories.

Dev Patel just won the BAFTA for supporting actor. This means that Ali has lost both this award, and the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor, as well as the National Board of Review award. But, considering how many other times he's won for Supporting Actor this year, he's the likeliest candidate.

Surprised, in a bad way, to see they snubbed Hugh Grant for Jenkins and Aaron Taylor-Johnson for Nocturnal Animals, both very worthy nominees.

Nice to see some love for Hugh Grant in Florence Foster Jenkins...I don't think the actor has ever been better and at least deserved a nomination.