Unsure
33.33%
11 votes
None Of The Above
33 votes. You may not vote on this poll

sorry, i didn t mean to misspell kubrick, i did it in a rush

A novel adaptation.
Jeez.
I couldn't answer because I just can't put them in any order.
I can't put anything in order. Example: I once spent 3 1/2 hours signing up for Triggerstreet because I had to list my five favorite films. All the decisions torture me, even now.

But anyways...
Terry Gilliam
Martin Scorcese
Wes Anderson
Mike Nichols
Sydney Lumet
Stanley Kubrick
Francis Ford Copolla
the Coen brothers
Davey Fincher
P.T. Andersson
Alfred Hitchcock

Ehhhhh...
I don't really like to put that sort of thing on paper, or, in this case, theoretical paper.

here's my list, i'm sure i forgot some. but these are my favorites.

cohen brothers
wes anderson
stanley kubrick
kevin smith
tim burton
bryan singer
quientin terantino

Good names, but there seem to be a lot of holes here. I think it's pretty hard to narrow it down to just a few directors. Likewise, it's hard for me to buy that Scorsese is the greatest living director and Kurosawa is the greatest of all-time. There is nothing wrong with being of that opinion; however, it's still just an opinion.

A thread like this is a great opportunity to compile a diverse list of directors from many people with differing tastes and interests in movies. My true intersest lies in art films, especially surrealist films.

However, if you ask the IMDB for recommendations for Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast it's first recommendation is Willow. Personally, I would expect IMDB to recommend films such as The seventh seal, Un Chien Andalou, and Blood of a Poet, not some 80's fantasy written by George Lucas and directed by Ron Howard. Great movies by great directors are often very hard to find.

Here is my list of great directors. I'm sure I'll forget some and leave others off on purpose.

J. Cocteau
L. Bunuel
I. Bergman
F. Lang
J. Renoir
A. Kurosawa
O. Welles
J. Godard
A. Resnais
W. Herzog
A. Hitchcock
S. Brakhage
A. Jodorowsky
S. Kubrick
R. Polanski
D. Lynch
S. Tsukamoto
J. Svankmajer
D. Cronenberg
P. Jackson
Lars von Trier
Jean-Pierre Juenet
D. Aronofsky
T. Zwigoff
P.T. Anderson
T. Solondz
D. Fincher

"Likewise, it's hard for me to buy that Scorsese is the greatest living director and Kurosawa is the greatest of all-time."
FEMALE BOOKIE: Well that's handy, 'cause I ain't fu*king selling it.
- Snatch (2000)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Nobody here likes Truffaut, or what?

He had some of the greatest black and white cinematography of all time.

I See You When You're Sleeping
Then - Stanley Kubrick

Now - David Lynch / Ridley Scott

Future - Darren Aronofsky

hey, i like surrealist films too, mystery man...jodorowsky, eh? dig the holy mountain and el topo a bunch, and santa sangre too, but wasnt quite as wowed by fando and lis or the rainbow thief. here's my "diverse" list, with a bunch that people seem to have missed:

john sayles
jan svankmajer
seijun suzuki
shohei imamura
yasujiro ozu
kenji mizoguchi
hayao miyazaki
katsuhiro otomo
juzo itami
isao takahata
akitaro daichi
zhang yimou
jan nemec
frederick backe
buster keaton
yuri norstein
hiroyuki yamaga

actually, doing the math, buster keaton is my favorite all time director by about 6 points. used to be kurosawa, but he's fallen back a bit over the last couple years.

Mizoguchi

Renoir
Tarkovsky
Hitchcock

and Kubrick, early Wenders, Ophuls, Eisenstein, Rohmer, Dreyer, Kurosawa...

DAVID LYNCH

Lynch, what a crazy guy... I love Spielberg, though. And Alfred Hitchcock is awesome, too. Scorsese is a good one, though his stories are always the part of life people like to ignore. But I love the intro credits to Raging Bull are amazing. I am also a Baz Lerman fan from Romeo and Juliet, what a kick ass film. Sam Raimi(The Evil Dead series) is incredible.