Best Music Movies

Tools    

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Mary Loquacious

Sings jauntily while snapping her fingers: The hills are alive... Thank you! ...with the sound of music... Thank you so much!
Puke!

crazed out movie freak
backbeat i only so bits and pieces of that movie. wasn't it about those guys from england who start a band kinda like the beatles.

wasn't it about those guys from england who start a band kinda like the beatles.
It was about the Beatles (Does anyone remember that SNL sketch with Lorne trying to hire the three remaining Beatles to play? "This check is made out to you, The Beatles, for three thousand dollars." Hilarious!), and how they started out as a Fab Five with Stuart Sutcliffe, who dropped out of the band before they really hit it big. It's a true story, and a most excellent movie. I love Ian Hart, the actor who played John Lennon--he was also Professor Quirrell in Harry Potter.

Backbeat also had a great tagline: "5 guys. 4 legends. 3 lovers. 2 friends. 1 band."

Anywho...

Originally posted by sadesdrk
Puke!
I sing my heart out for you people and I get paid in PUKE??

...well... it's better than nothing. These are tough times, and a girl's gotta eat. (No, you didn't just read that.) Say, who's from out of town? You know, I wanna bring it down a bit. Let me sing you out with a little number I and Oscar Hammerstein like to call, "So Long, Farewell":

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, adieu...

Mary, that May 1976 "SNL" bit with Lorne Michaels offering the Beatles $3,000 to do three songs on the show was for all FOUR of the 'remianing' Beatles of course, as John wasn't killed until the 8th of December, 1980. The bit referring to the fact that Don Kirshner and others had been publically offering The Beatles record millions for one reunion concert, with no nibbles. "SNL" comically countered with a modest three grand.

And the story goes that Lennon & McCartney were at John's apartment in the Dakota, also in midtown Manhattan not too far from Rockefeller Center, watching the show and seriously considered going to the broadcast that night and surprising the Hell outta everybody. Alas, they didn't go.

When George Harrison appeared on the show months later in November of '76 with Paul Simon, there was that funny follow-up where Lorne explains to a disappointed George he thought it was understood the money was for all four together.

As for Backbeat, I always liked it. Not a great movie, but for Beatles fans it's fun. Stephen Dorff as Stu Sutcliffe and Ian Hart as John are especially good. Sheryl Lee isalways easy on the eyes too (when she's not "Dead, wrapped in plastic"). I own the flick on LaserDisc.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I knew something was off when I was trying to describe it, 'cause I remembered the three thousand dollars, but then there was the joke about giving Ringo less money when they split it up between them.

"'She Loves You, Yeah Yeah Yeah'? A thousand bucks right there. You know the words, it'll be easy."

One of my favorite Lorne moments ever. And the follow-up with George was great, too.

1.)high fidelity
2.) light of day

crazed out movie freak
did any of you see the snl skit where eddie murphay played the fifth beatle clarence. and they stole all his music and kicked him out of the band. man that was hilarious.just thought i would share that with all of you

crazed out movie freak
wasn't that picture a riot. the clarence's all with puffed out afros

1. That thing you do!

that's one of my favorites

crazed out movie freak
Shades rocks man

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I definitely loved That Thing You Do, and The Blues Brothers is a classic motion picture experience. Here's a bunch of my favorite movies about music, minus numbers or alphabetical order...

Rock and Roll High School
The Decline of Western Civilization
The Rutles
The Filth and The Fury
The Commitments
Hype!
Suburbia (The Penelope Spheeris movie, not the Eric Bogosian/Richard Linklater movie)
The Kids are Alright
Welcome to My Nightmare

And I loved all those 1930's Betty Boop cartoons with Cab Calloway in them. I think he did three or so. Cab Calloway was a musical genius.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

crazed out movie freak
Hey you forgot about Almost Famous. How can you forget that?

My top two.

Almost Famous for celebrating the sixties.

Empire Records for celebrating the late eighties early nineties.

Maybe Grease could sneak in for having a go.

Morbida
not sure if anyone has said it yet, but my favorite would probaly be grease!!!

Sorry.

Brain bending mistake. I evn knew that as i wrote it. thankyou for the correction anyway.
Waht are your views on Empire Records?

I thought Empire Records was pretty average all around. When you compare it to something like High Fidelity or The Commitments, I think it's clear how unremarkable it really is. But I liked Anthony LaPaglia, Ethan Embry and Robin Tunney in it anyway, and the Gin Blossoms tune was a good pop song. For me it's the perfect kind of movie to discover on cable TV, but nothing I would ever recommend somebody seek out, even just at the video store. But to each their own, Man.

And welcome to the board, Buddha!

crazed out movie freak
Originally posted by Holden Pike
I thought Empire Records was pretty average all around. When you compare it to something like High Fidelity or The Commitments, I think it's clear how unremarkable it really is. But I liked Anthony LaPaglia, Ethan Embry and Robin Tunney in it anyway, and the Gin Blossoms tune was a good pop song. For me it's the perfect kind of movie to discover on cable TV, but nothing I would ever recommend somebody seek out, even just at the video store. But to each their own, Man.
You got to throw it a little more credit. I mean I loved it and own it. The acting in it I thought was excellent. Very good gen. X movie.