Best/Worst Fantasy Films

Tools    

I like Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and What Dreams May Come (if that counts.) My mind is strangely blank when I try to think of older fantasy movies that I like. Oh well. Those three are my favorite recent ones, I guess. They're pretty much the only ones too.

I've seen parts of it, for certain, but I don't remember anything of it except a few images of the Ally McBeal guy in a really bad Prince Valiant 'do. I'll have to put it on my list.

I thought of a few more, with the help of my trusty VideoHound. Down boy!

The good:

Time Bandits
Krull
Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Drop Dead Fred (I think it counts!)

The bad:

Hook
Super Mario Brothers

The ugly:

The 10th Kingdom. I could take a crap in a box and it would be more interesting than this lumbering behemoth. Shame on you, Dan Larroquette and Ed O'Neill!

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Mary Loquacious
Krull
Gawd, I had dreams of people's eyes turning that freaky-blue, for weeks after seeing that movie. Good choice!

Dude, that movie gave me more nightmares than the Friday the 13th movies. Not more than Freddy, though.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Super Mario Brothers
I think any video game movie will be bad so you could've just said all of them and that would have been the same.

Anyone catch Dinotopia? I saw parts of it, the visuals were great, but I haven't watched all of it yet.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
Not more than Freddy, though.
You're not kidding! A bad guy that kills you in your dreams?! There's no escape! I remember trying to stay awake all night...thinking Freddie was going to get me...child abuse, I'm tellin' ya!

Me, too! I lost all kinds of sleep thanks to those movies, and I'm still afraid of the dark. Seriously. I need therapy, I reckon...

I think any video game movie will be bad so you could've just said all of them and that would have been the same.
That about sums it up. Well said.

Now With Moveable Parts
I dunno. Call me crazy (hey crazy!) but I kinda liked Tomb Raider. Ya play the game as much as I have and you get a little biased, I guess.

BEST
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
  • Conan the Barbarian (1982)
  • Brazil (1985)
  • Delicatessen (1991)
  • Time Bandits (1981)
  • The City of Lost Children (1995)
  • King Kong (1933)
  • Groundhog Day (1993)
  • The Secret Adventures of Tom Thumb (1993)
  • Excalibur (1981)

WORST
  • The Sword & the Sorcerer (1982)
  • Monster Island (1981)
  • Conan the Destroyer (1984)
  • Beastmaster II: Through the Portal in Time (1991)
  • The Valley of Gwangi (1969)
  • Highlander II: The Quickening (1991)
  • Highlander III: The Sorcerer (1994)
  • The Dark Crystal (1982)
  • Baby...Secret of the Lost Legend (1985)
  • Krull (1983)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Holden Pike
The Dark Crystal (1982)
You suck.

The Gweat and Tewwible
For some reason we own Conan the Barbarian and not Conan the Destroyer. My parents tell me that Barbarian sucked and there is no reason to see it and that Destroyer was way better. I have not seen The Dark Crystal. Is that the one where they keep going back and forth in time I am a big fan of fantasy films and unfortunately not many have been made. Some of my favorites (I don't care if they are the best, or not) are:

1. Excalibur
2. The Princess Bride
3. LOTR:FOTR
4. Shrek
5. The Labyrinth
6. The Neverending Story
7. Ladyhawke
8. The Last Unicorn (animated)
9. Flight of Dragons (animated)
10. The Hobbit (animated)
11. Willow
12. Dragonheart

I haven't seen any of the bad ones mentioned but I would like to state my own: Warriors of Virtue, The Neverending Story II, The Neverending Story III, Conan: The Destroyer, and Merlin.

Originally posted by Ozma
[b]For some reason we own Conan the Barbarian and not Conan the Destroyer. My parents tell me that Barbarian sucked and there is no reason to see it and that Destroyer was way better.
I like Barbarian much more. The sequel had its moments though, mostly funny ones.

Ozma - I'm not sure which movie you're thinking of, unless it's Dark City (1998), but The Dark Crystal (1982) was Jim Henson's ambitious would-be epic fantasy about a couple elf-like creatures called Gelflings trying to return a shard of a giant crystal so that the evil buzzard-like Skekses will not triumph over the good-willed giant wrinkled lizards called Urskeks who hum like didjeridoos. Some good design work, but giant puppets were too awkward and uninteresting for an hour-and-a-half. Plus it was just plain dull, and unlike Henson's far superior Labyrinth (1986) it is completely humorless and witless.

And ANYone who thinks Conan the Destroyer is better in any way than Conan the Barbraian is most probably on the pipe. You can tell your crackhead parents I said so too.

The only thing I can figure is Destroyer is much softer, earning a PG rating (surely would have been a PG-13 if it had been released a few months later in '84), while Barbarian is much truer to the Pulp roots and definitely earns its harder R-rating, even by today's looser standards. Your folks were just lying to you so you wouldn't want to see the nudity, sex and gore of the far, far better original movie. How transparent. And you can tell them I said that too.

The Gweat and Tewwible
Thanks Holden. My parents are really touchy about movies. Thanks for the description of The Dark Crystal. Even though it wasn't very positive, it was helpful. I only like The Labyrinth for the songs, David Bowie, and the moments when Sarah and Jareth are together. Some of the parts "aimed at children" get on my nerves...

Originally posted by AcidArrow
well one of the worst has to be Dungeons and Dragons...
Yup, yup, yup. I agreed with this even before you said it...

Also a bad movie poster--Thora Birch looks like a medieval peckerhead mushroom.

The Gweat and Tewwible
Also a bad movie poster--Thora Birch looks like a medieval peckerhead mushroom.
WTF?? She is so gorgeous though. It sucks that she has to be one of my favorite actresses and be in such a horrible movie. I haven't seen it yet and I will never even bother too. What a shame.

1.) lord of the rings
2.) conan the barbarian
3.) clash of the titans

they should make a remake of Legend. plus tom cruise still has changed. i cant wait to see minority report when it comes out.

Originally posted by Ozma
WTF?? She is so gorgeous though. It sucks that she has to be one of my favorite actresses and be in such a horrible movie. I haven't seen it yet and I will never even bother too. What a shame. [/b]
I also think she is quite pretty--but with the 'do and the outfit, that picture makes her look like a medival peckerhead mushroom. Long neck, small head... you know what I'm sayin'?

Dark Crystal - YAY!

Labrynth - BOO!

Have any of you seen anything about this new movie Reign Of Fire? It looks like a sci-fi fantasy cross about a dragon in the future, so they're all fighting it with guns and helicopters and stuff. From what I've seen it looks like it might make it onto my list. Check out the trailer for yourselves at

www.reignoffire.com