David Fincher to Direct Facebook Movie

Tools    

‘The Social Network’ Wants to be Your Facebook Friend

David Fincher (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Se7en, Fight Club, Zodiac) has been confirmed as the director of The Social Network and Kevin Spacey will be producing.

Speaking to MTV News, Spacey had this to say about the progress of The Social Network:

“We’re at a very early stage, but I think it’s on the fast track. I think the film - they want to do it and maybe even do it this year. So it’s gonna happen.”
According to The Playlist, casting has already started on The Social Network and there are some A-list actors being considered for the project. Shia LaBeouf was rumored to be in the cast early on, but Spacey shot those down as “pre-mature.” Aaron Sorkin, who has done mostly TV dramas like West Wing, Sports Night and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, wrote the script for The Social Network and after a great review, was tapped to re-write Brad Pitt’s vehicle Moneyball.

The story will follow the story of Mark Zuckerberg, the creator of Facebook, and how he started it as a “Hot or Not” website for Harvard girls, only to expanded it into the $16 billion social networking site it is today.

The Social Network currently has no release date.

Source: Screenrant

You want to post like me?
I'd rather watch the movieforums movie. You know how Tommy says "I f*cking hate pikeys!" in Snatch? Well, "I f*cking hate facebook!".

Is the website going to age backwards to try to make it more interesting?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

You want to post like me?
Very interesting, dunno how this will turn out though, although with Fincher at the healm I'm sure it'll be good.
I'm not convinced even Fincher could make this interresting. Like Russel Crowe and Al Pacino couldn't make The Insider interresting. The cigarette industry, c'mon. Facebook, COME ON!
It's scary how much I hate this already.

Welcome to the human race...
This begs the question as to whether it's not too unrealistic to expect a movie about Tom creating MySpace.

Seriously, though, I actually am morbidly curious to see how Fincher manages to make someone starting a website into a compelling two-hour film (give or take).

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
So why not just title the thread "The Social Network" it's not like the movie didn't have a title.

Just thinking out loud, I suppose.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Welcome to the human race...
Because "The Social Network" is an uninteresting title when compared to "David Fincher to Direct Facebook Movie".

The Social Network Accepts Friend Requests from Justin Timberlake, Jesse Eisenberg, and Andrew Garfield

David Fincher’s The Social Network has now found its cast. According to Script Shadow, Jesse Eisenberg has been cast as Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, Andrew Garfield will play Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin and Justin Timberlake has been cast as the internet entrepreneur who was behind Napster, Sean Parker.

The Social Network is based on Ben Mezrich’s book, “The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook, a Tale of Sex, Money, Genius, and Betrayal“ Both the film and the book tell the story of Eduardo Saverin and Mark Zuckerberg, the founders of Facebook. The film hits begins production in October.

Source: Collider

This movie's gonna be interesting. Fincher is an amazing director. Spacey hasn't made a decent movie in years, SO THIS COULD BE A GOOD CHOICE FOR HIS RETURN TO MOVIES WORTH WATCHING.

Does every social enterprise deserve its own flick? I mean -- seriously, what's the purpose of fictitiously describing every little detail of our enormous culture, particularly those details that are so minor in key? While Facebook, MySpace, and Napster have certainly all impacted the internet in some way, are they really so... unexplained? Are they worth explaining to those who haven't understood (or don't care, for that matter) their place in modern society? We seem so out of touch already, that reminiscing an idea that remains so readily commercialized for the time being seems quite redundant. It's sort of parallel with the One-Hour photo concept; like George Carlin would previously structure it, "You just saw the ****ing thing!"

I have a lot of respect for all those little facets in Fincher's film-making, but seriously, are the messages in a film about online networking as complex as some of Fincher's other pre-scripted ideas? I suppose we'll find out, but for the time-being, I can't help but wonder how inescapably important something like Facebook really should deserve to be. Of all the major things to capture on film, this one seems the most minute in the global scale of things.